Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 time compared to 2,000m pool set
Quote | Reply
Last year I did a 70.3 (Weymouth, UK) and swam 38.51. I was actually quite disappointed as I expected to swim around 35mins. I just wondered if others with similar swim times in the pool could tell me what time you have put down in a 70.3.

In the lead up to the race, 3 times I did a 10x200m pull set off a 3:30 send off, getting 10-15 sec rec. So total time for the 2,000m set was 35min, thus I expected a similar time for the 70.3.

I just wondered if I was expecting too much, or maybe my open water skills need work.

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 time compared to 2,000m pool set [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Last year I did a 70.3 (Weymouth, UK) and swam 38.51. I was actually quite disappointed as I expected to swim around 35mins. I just wondered if others with similar swim times in the pool could tell me what time you have put down in a 70.3.

In the lead up to the race, 3 times I did a 10x200m pull set off a 3:30 send off, getting 10-15 sec rec. So total time for the 2,000m set was 35min, thus I expected a similar time for the 70.3.

I just wondered if I was expecting too much, or maybe my open water skills need work.

Thanks,

Will

Your open water skills likely do need work. Keep in mind that 1.2 miles is actual 1931 meters as well and LCM is different than SCM. While there is a correlation between pool swim times and open water race times, I find that there can be a wide range of times that can equal a certain OWS time. Obviously each course, swim is different so it is hard to make a conclusion off one race, but given a calm swim with a wetsuit I would have expected a faster time than 38.51 but I assume the ocean wasn't super calm.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 time compared to 2,000m pool set [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. Your right, the ocean was quite rough, albeit not too bad. Looking at a selection of the Pro's, their swim times were 1-2mins off. According to my Garmin, I swam 2,000m, so my navigation was fairly good. I also remember being very cold towards the end of the swim, so that probably didn't help either.

Thanks

Will
Last edited by: Barlow: Mar 13, 18 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who was the first pro man out of the water and what was his time?? Any OW time needs context, this is the number one best element for determining how long a course either is, or how it swam out..
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 time compared to 2,000m pool set [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Monty,
Thanks for your reply,

1st out the water was Manuel Kueng 24:17

3rd our the water was James Cunama 25:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on that I would say no more than a minute slow overall. Usually in 70.3's that are accurate the lead pro group is in the 23's somewhere, and occasionally a super swimmer off the front of that group will do a 22 high, on a legit course. It sounds like everyone up front pulled their own water most the time, so maybe 50 meters long based on time??

And yes, you should be faster base on your pool times. You have a wetsuit and you get to draft, that should be a minimum of 10+ seconds per 100. You lose a couple for no turns, but salt water gives you most of that back. Maybe the 2k in the pool was done more as a race and since the OW was part of a much longer race, you paced it differently??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your analysis Monty. I think your right on the pacing I do remember getting cold towards the end of the swim which suggests I might not have been working as hard as I should have. The water temp was 15/16C which I had practised in.
Based on what you’ve mentioned, I think I just needed to push up the effort and prob get better at drafting as I remember mostly swimming on my own.
Good to have your input.

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:

Thanks,

Will

So many variables. You can't compare an average time for a swim set to a race result. Results can vary depending on how you're feeling, whether water is cold/warm,fresh/seawater, choppy, currents, how many in your wave, how well you start, how well you draft, sighting etc.

Your 70.3 race pace was 2.00/100m, 200m (with PB) pace 1.45/100m. So I think your race time is in line with your training. Sans PB you'd probably be doing 2.00/100m for your 200m repeats. My 70.3 pace (27min) would be similar to 200m repeats, probs 2.50 for 200m? Perhaps do a 400m TT, that should give you a rough idea of what to expect in a 70.3. Not sure about others, but my 400m time is close to 70.3 pace with wetsuit.

Personally, considering your ability, I wouldn't be using your PB for a 10 x 200m main set unless it's a once off. If you become over-reliant on artificial buoyancy, PBs, core pants, wetsuits, your swim can suffer. Try doing 10x200m @ 70.3 pace without a PB with 10s rest and see the difference.
Last edited by: zedzded: Mar 13, 18 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he does open turns, he will gain 1-2 seconds per 100 yards in open water.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also swam Weymouth last year and my swim time was considerably slower than 'normal'. I think you might be underestimating the difficulty of that swim. I remember watching the pro women go off and getting pushed in completely the wrong direction. I actively swam in the wrong direction to stay on course.

I'll not I'm not a particularly good swimmer and the first workout to go whenever I start to loose focus is always the swim. Here are two times for comparison (from my Garmin)

2076m 28:38 - August 13th, Cotswold Classic
2033m 32:36 - September 17th, Weymouth

I would have considered myself in about the same shape the major difference was that Weymouth was windy, cold and tide/current moving across the course. Christ, I actually had to stop at one point and compose myself after getting two cycles of nothing but water when trying to breathe. I'm not one to really get worked up by open water swims but that one was particularly brutal.

practice practice practice

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 time compared to 2,000m pool set [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah great, thanks for your reply and the detail. I did 70.3 Switzerland in 2014 and swam about 34mins in a calm lake so nearly 39mins for Weymouth just seemed really slow. But if Weymouth was 4mins slower for you, that sort of fits with how I swam.
BTW, that was one cold ride. I just wore a trisuit and was basically shivering the whole bike with totally numb feet. My own fault for not packing more layers in my T1 bag, but I was just frozen. I got cold before I even started, standing around in that wind.
Were you smarter than me in clothing for the bike , or just tougher!? :-)

Thanks
Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cotswold was dead calm, and I wore the same wetsuit for both as well.... My swim definitely needs to improve but one thing the race taught me was never give up, even if you're having a totally shit swim, you've got so much left to turn the race around.

Yeah, I opted for just my trisuit on the bike. My coach had done the race previously and some other colder races so gave me some tips which helped me prepare. I had stashed arm warmers in my T1 bag but opted not to use them. Running between the swim exit to the Transition to bike without shoes was the worst... I had toe/shoe covers already on my shoes (clipped to my bike) so that helped a bit with the feet once in the bike. Either way though the first 20-30 minutes of the bike was pretty cold, eventually I warmed up...

Here is my little 'report' if you're so inclined: http://rogersracing.taylorwrogers.com/...th-70-3-race-report/

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks, I’ll have a read. I hear you on the T1 running. Both long runs with bare frozen feet on tarmac. Not nice at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:

I'll not I'm not a particularly good swimmer and the first workout to go whenever I start to loose focus is always the swim. Here are two times for comparison (from my Garmin)

2076m 28:38 - August 13th, Cotswold Classic
2033m 32:36 - September 17th, Weymouth

practice practice practice

You're not a good swimmer? that's 1.22 pace you're swimming for that 2076m, you would have been top 20/1700 at my last 70.3 and up there with some of the slower pros.....
Quote Reply