Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
There has to be a better saddle
Quote | Reply
Stock saddles tend to suck!
- Sitero - that wasn't too bad comfort wise ( a little hard) but it chaffed me
- Now on the Cobb Plus, I don't dislike it but I am nowhere close to loving it

There has to be something better out there.
- I am a bigger guy 5'11" 185lbs
- I have a drop of about 3.5 - 4 inches

Similar size? What do you use?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [kanman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hilo is my favorite. Switched to it for both road and TT bike. It seems to work well for people who are looking for a narrower seat. The Sitero did horrible things to my under-carriage. I hate that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I complained about my saddle and bibs for awhile, then recently discovered that it was my position on the seat that was incorrect - I was too far forward, and thus sitting on the nose of the seat, which led to incessant chafing.

I've since remedied it, and found actually that when I'm training for <2hr rides, I use NONpadded shorts (not bike shorts, regular compression shorts), which force me to sit correctly on the seat. Might be worth a try if nothing is working for you - the position really makes a huge difference. (Even $200 Assos bibs didn't save me, nor did cream, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adamo. Sit off the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'11 200lbs currently using PN3.0 with great success! No chaffing at all great comfort with lightly padded tri-short

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PN 3.0 has taken over my fits. I've had some good success with the new Hilo, too, but no where near the PN 3.0.

That said, another poster was correct, saddle comfort is a combo of saddle, fit, and clothing.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kanman wrote:
Stock saddles tend to suck!
- Sitero - that wasn't too bad comfort wise ( a little hard) but it chaffed me
- Now on the Cobb Plus, I don't dislike it but I am nowhere close to loving it

There has to be something better out there.
- I am a bigger guy 5'11" 185lbs
- I have a drop of about 3.5 - 4 inches

Similar size? What do you use?

Thanks.

I'm about 6'1", 185 (175 when race ready, haha) and just switched to the ISM PR 2.0 after reading @Slowman 's saddle article. Very impressed with the comfort and fit so far. Forgot all about the saddle on training rides, which is just what I'm looking for. The PN may be great too, haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The Hilo is my favorite. Switched to it for both road and TT bike. It seems to work well for people who are looking for a narrower seat. The Sitero did horrible things to my under-carriage. I hate that thing.

Yeah it's such a personal thing. I used to think all TT saddles were uncomfortable until I sat on a Sitero, it was like it was designed soley for my butt, they bonded straight away :)

Had the ISM Prologue before and despised that.
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the "flexiness" of the frame when ridden indoors.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best thing you can ever say about a saddle is you forgot all about it!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano PRO stealth road/TT saddle. Versatile and comfortable, at least for me.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first started on my ISM Adamo saddle I thought it was very uncomfortable, but as I continued to make small adjustments for the first few months I really started to hone in the position and it actually became quite comfortable! I'm convinced many saddles would actually work well for most people, they just never give them the opportunity to work for them
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [StokeTheFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also looking to try something different than ISM Century or Cobb Max on my tri bike. Both feels quite good, but I think main problem is that chamois in z3rod isuit and dhb trisuit are to narrow and I'm sitting on seams wnhich are placed exactly inplace where my body touches saddle and it causes pinchingand chaffing. Fleece padding in cheap Zoot suit was better but it also quite narrow for ISM.
Do you know tri shorts or suit with wide padding? I have only one in mind - Castelli with they Kiss Tri pad - it looks wide enough to go over saddles prongs. I heard that Castelli sizing is wierd, is that true?

Last edited by: KamilN: Mar 14, 18 0:38
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [KamilN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, unlike what some self-flattering fat guys like to say, Castelli is pretty true to size - just when it fits, it fits better than most. I wear a size S across the board in shorts, shirts are S or XS - and same holds true in Castelli. My team just switched from ChampSys to Castelli as kit supplier, and most of us ordered exactly the same size as before. It's just that if before, a ChampSys size S jersey had all sorts of creases and wrinkles, the Castelli is cut that much better that it's smooth.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, would you say, is the differentiator between the two? The "seating area" (front) on the PN3.0 looks less tapering in pictures, but I don't have access to one.

My wife rode a PN2.0 for a while and it was the first saddle that stopped the numbness - but it was chafing her to death. Now she's on the new Hilo and it's better but not quite, still chafes after a while. Still looking for "the one" - I'm profiting meanwhile, since the PN2.0 was a remarkable improvement for me over the old Hilo which I thought was the best thing since sliced bread.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
No, unlike what some self-flattering fat guys like to say, Castelli is pretty true to size - just when it fits, it fits better than most.....
So tempting to make some similar ignorant disparaging comment but I'll resist that urge. Maybe you could try it.

I have quite a bit of Castelli kit. Cycling bibs and tri shorts/tops.
They most certainly ARE sized significantly differently from most/all other brands.
I wear XL or in one case even XXL in Castelli, while I wear M or L in Assos, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, Champion Systems, Orca, etc.

So tell me, if I'm assessing Castelli's sizing relative to other brands, how does my size or self perception come into it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6' 170'

Bontrager Hilo RXL. By far the best saddle I've used in tri position. I've used Adamo and Dash, but the Hilo takes the cake.

But on the road bike, I have a dash slate on my roadbike and it is an absolute dream.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on quite a few saddles so I'll chime in, but remember that saddle preference is highly individual;

- Dash TT.9 - very comfortable, lots of rotation. Takes a while to get used to the minimal padding, not very suitable or comfy in upright position.
- Dash Strike9 - same as above, quite narrow seating area for aero, lot more comfortable upright.
- ISM Adamo Prologue - Comfortable, I had some chafing/rotation issues, most likely because of the width.
- ISM PN 1.1 - Felt hard.. just couldn't get it right no matter how far forward/backwards.
- ISM PN 2.1 - Very comfortable, good clearance (narrow).
- ISM PN 3.0 - My saddle today. It's quite long & narrow in the front so I can move a little bit back- and forwards on the saddle to find "just the perfect spot". Perhaps a tad harder than the 40's padding ISM's, but overall comfort is extremely good and I get good rotation. No chafing for 90-120 min trainer sessions so far. Can also comfortably sit upright.
- Fizik tritone - Couldn't get it right..

I ride with 15cm drop or so.
Last edited by: hhetland: Mar 14, 18 5:22
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
tessar wrote:
No, unlike what some self-flattering fat guys like to say, Castelli is pretty true to size - just when it fits, it fits better than most.....

They most certainly ARE sized significantly differently from most/all other brands.
I wear XL or in one case even XXL in Castelli, while I wear M or L in Assos, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, Champion Systems, Orca, etc.

x2 on Castelli being sized differently. My team kit for the last 4 years was Castelli and most of us had to order different sized tops & bottoms, which gets complicated for one-piece suits. In my case, I'm 6'1" 175 lbs, had to order L tops (M in certain cuts) but XL bottoms. I'm a straight L in Rapha, Verge, Champ-Sys and Velocio. I'm not built oddly either, 34" waist, 40" chest.
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
tessar wrote:

x2 on Castelli being sized differently. My team kit for the last 4 years was Castelli and most of us had to order different sized tops & bottoms, which gets complicated for one-piece suits. In my case, I'm 6'1" 175 lbs, had to order L tops (M in certain cuts) but XL bottoms. I'm a straight L in Rapha, Verge, Champ-Sys and Velocio. I'm not built oddly either, 34" waist, 40" chest.
Yes, I should have said, I'm a similar weight but a bit shorter than you. Around 80-81kg (178lbs) and 1.78m (5'10") with a 33-34" waist and 41-42" chest.
When I've bought Castelli gear I take XL or occasionally XXL in cycling/tri shorts, and L/XL in tri tops. It's not a matter of being better cut with less wrinkles as the previous poster suggested. Size L in most brands is the best fit and some I could get into M if I wanted.
In Castelli, XL shorts are very snug and I tried one pair (Free Aero bib shorts I think) that I couldn't even put on in XL without risking splitting them. They weren't snug or compression fit, they were just way too small compared to the name of the size (XL) or their published sizing charts which indicated that they should have fit me easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imo I think the problem with saddles comes from a materials perspective.

Underlying foam is flawed. There is a high tech foam formula made by Intuition sports which we use for our boot liners. I have made my saddles using this foam, and it acts like a conformable air suspension. This foam formulation has very unique properties, that make it ideal for a human to equipment interface.

Next I think that the interface covering is important. I ride a Brooks on my road bike, and I think the most important feature of that is the leather.

My tri saddles I covered in leather as well.

Some designs I have seen replicate or come close to the above specs.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about this? http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Specialized_P6583607

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually looking at the Hilo RXL. It is narrow like a traditional saddle which is the direction I think I need to go. How is it as far as padding goes?
I also had checked out the Fabric which most comments are it it very hard.
Quote Reply
Re: There has to be a better saddle [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I ride a Brooks on my road bike, and I think the most important feature of that is the leather.

You just lost all credibility.
Quote Reply

Prev Next