Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lady friendly fitters around Boston
Quote | Reply
Hope folks will indulge me here with a question on how to best help my wife (and I may deviate from the topic subject as well!). I'm a pretty serious cyclist and my wife is signed up for a sprint tri this summer as something motivational to get into shape.

A couple of years back we got her a road bike, she tried a couple of sizes out and such, but she can't seem to get comfortable. I know just enough about fitting to be dangerous, I have the patience to tinker around with stuff on my own but she doesn't share the same level of interest in my work lol

She's tried a couple of saddles, the stock one on the Liv Avail, a specialized oura and a fizik luce. She seems pretty uncomfortable on all of them and I don't know whether she doesn't give herself time to ride regularly to become acclimated to stuff (like once or twice in a week for 20mins and then not riding again for weeks/months), or if the whole setup needs tinkering by an expert fitter.

I've told her on more than one occasion she should go get fitted, but I think she's highly self-conscious and I definitely feels a condescending vibe toward women at a few local shops. But ultimately she won't be successful if she isn't comfortable. This is a very long-winded way of asking for those who around the Boston area, who would you recommend who is either a woman or male fitters who are in-tune with the needs of female clients without being patronizing. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: lady friendly fitters around Boston [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. I can't help with fitter suggestions. But since I just shared a blog post about my own saddle discomfort, I offer the suggestion of her giving it a read. There are many different saddle varieties and without understanding what's bugging her or as you mention, having a nice bike fit, she's going to be stuck in an uncomfy situation. Which is a shame b/c biking should be awesome.

Pour a glass of wine or something, b/c it is a longish read.
http://swimbikeslapshot.blogspot.com/...3/saddle-post-3.html

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about Fitwerx in the Boston-ish area. Personally I had my bike fitted and refitted at the shop I bought it at here in Portland ME (Cyclemania), but you could likely have the same thing done at your LBS.

Have you considered taking your wife to Race-Mania expo next weekend? There maybe someone there that she will just gel with and feel comfortable going to for a fit (or to talk to about her saddle issues).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roy at Grace Bicycles in Holliston:

https://gracebicycles.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think trukweaz (that's his ST handle - google personal best multisport coaching), if he is still in the southern maine area, does Boston area stuff. He's a really nice guy and super knowledgeable.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: lady friendly fitters around Boston [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can strongly recommend Fitwerx. They are in Waitsfield VT and Peabody MA and they are excellent. They take every cyclist seriously, find out about your training and your goals, look at your current setup and where you think you are having troubles, and treat everyone with a huge amount of respect.

http://fitwerx.com/

Set up an appointment and plan to spend 2 hours there. Worth every penny.

BrokenSpoke
Last edited by: brokenspoke: Mar 27, 18 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been fitted at Fast Splits (Needham) for my (ancient) QR and Belmont Wheel Works for my Pinarello road bike. Several years ago I went to Landrys with an older road bike and that fitting was not helpful, at all.

I thought the fitting at BWW was the most thorough by far and am still very happy with it. They spent 3+ hours with me... Never been so happy with a saddle in my life. I've also heard good things about FitWerx as well. I've been to the store and they are very friendly.
Quote Reply