Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I would "bring back waterboarding"
Quote | Reply
Trump espoused his desire to bring "back waterboarding" in one of the debates during his campaign.

Now he's named Gina Haspel as CIA director. She was in charge of the rendition site in Thailand that waterboarded a number of prisoners. According to the Intelligence Committee’s investigation, Zubaydah's treatment was particularly harsh, and was waterboarded 83 times... "at one point, he became non-responsive, with water bubbling up from his lungs. Doctors had to revive him. During his confinement, Zubaydah lost sight in his left eye."

https://www.newyorker.com/...iefs-black-site-past

The US executed Japanese soldiers for crimes that included waterboarding.

Her Senate confirmation hearing could be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBH, I'm more concerned about the people doing torture. That's gotta take part of your soul every time you do it. Nobody ever mentions this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirty work it has to be done,we dont like it but if i can sleep safer at night then so be it.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:
dirty work it has to be done,we dont like it but if i can sleep safer at night then so be it.

Too bad the evidence is that it is not effective.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:

Does it matter if they are innocent? I guess as long as you can sleep...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you do waterboard someone, what are you safer from?

Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

If you do waterboard someone, what are you safer from?

Ironically, it ends up creating more enemies. Sleep tight!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:

Yes, I'm sure other peoples PTSD is worth your sleeping better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
TBH, I'm more concerned about the people doing torture. That's gotta take part of your soul every time you do it. Nobody ever mentions this.

Initially I was OK with water boarding, but after watching Dr. Zimbardo, famous for the Stanford Prison Experiment, giving a Ted talk on how and why soldiers
tortured people at Abu Gharib, I'm not sure it's a good thing for anyone. Power left unchecked can lead to the dehumanizing of prisoners which somehow changes something in the soldiers mind and allows him or her to do terrible things. Here's the talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/philip_zimbardo_on_the_psychology_of_evil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Trump espoused his desire to bring "back waterboarding" in one of the debates during his campaign.

Now he's named Gina Haspel as CIA director. She was in charge of the rendition site in Thailand that waterboarded a number of prisoners. According to the Intelligence Committee’s investigation, Zubaydah's treatment was particularly harsh, and was waterboarded 83 times... "at one point, he became non-responsive, with water bubbling up from his lungs. Doctors had to revive him. During his confinement, Zubaydah lost sight in his left eye."

Is this the daily outrage thing? What are you folks going to do if that guy wins a second term? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Is this the daily outrage thing? What are you folks going to do if that guy wins a second term? ;-)

You're just sore because your latest 'xenophobe' troll didn't catch any fish. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

You're just sore because your latest 'xenophobe' troll didn't catch any fish. ;)

Fish? I thought we were talking about lions! ;-) <--- winkie inserted so that it softens the message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you struck a nerve with the Libs, Constantine. Lol
Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Sunday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
I think you struck a nerve with the Libs, Constantine. Lol
Carry on.

Or rational humans.

10 posts in your ST career. You used of them to support non-productive torture. Well done.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone in this day and age thinks torture is effective for anything other than inflicting emotional and physical pain on a subject.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone in this day and age thinks torture is effective for anything other than inflicting emotional and physical pain on a subject.

Movies and TV.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's rational?
I don't support torture that is unreasonable and or ineffective. Good try.
There's 11. Better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
Who's rational?
There's 11. Better?

When would you consider it "reasonable" and how do you know it will be effective ahead of time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Yes, yes it is. It helps them sleep better at night, and of course diverts from Hillary's latest moronic, crazy ramblings in India which the Kay's of the world likely agree with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
Who's rational?
There's 11. Better?

Do you think waterboarding is reasonable and/or effective?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed in the audience response to that one. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

Torture is taking a US military TA-312 phone and running the bare-wire ends from it to a captured enemy's testicles and then cranking the phone, sending an electrical charge down the wires, in order to get him to talk.

The Pakistanis torture men and women by lowering them down onto a rounded-end steel rod so that the rod slides into the rectum, and then very slowly lowering them further still, all the while telling them it's in their best interests to talk. The world is full of torture techniques employed by governments and militias and the like. Not sure that waterboarding actually constitutes "torture" in the real sense, though I agree on it being classified as "enhanced interrogation."

Whether waterboarding actually works or not is also up for debate. Some say it does and others maintain it doesn't. From what I understand, interrogators had to waterboard Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the operational planner behind the 9/11 attacks, something like 186 (or 156, I forget which) times before he finally spilled his secrets. Other detainees proven to have participated in the 9/11 planning and attack or support phases cracked after only a single session or 2 or 3 of them.

US military personnel being trained in survival, evasion, resistance and escape (SERE) are also subjected to a technique that's similar to waterboarding, by the way.

Whether waterboarding is actual torture or not appears to be a matter of one's ideology, it seems to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
Who's rational?
There's 11. Better?

So you don't support torture? Because none of it is reasonable or effective or complies with international law.

Barely.

Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:

Yes, yes it is. It helps them sleep better at night, and of course diverts from Hillary's latest moronic, crazy ramblings in India which the Kay's of the world likely agree with.[/quote]
tell me about it! i honestly think those libs aren't going to be happy until hilary is impeached and they elect a new president to replace her.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Whether waterboarding is actual torture or not appears to be a matter of one's ideology, it seems to me.

Whether one was willing to ignore that waterboarding has been considered a form of torture since the Spanish Inquisition appears to be a matter of whether one wanted to make excuses for a particular administration, it seems to me.

The willingness to condone torture tells me an awful lot about the ideology of a person. Such as whether or not they possess basic human qualities.

Quote Reply

Prev Next