Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench Q: new Firecest 808 11sp with 177 hub: 2mm play in freehub body
Quote | Reply
Freehub moves along the hub axis (in and out) about 1.5-2mm. Is this normal? I googled but couldn't find an answer. Got 4 wheelsets in the garage and none of them have any freehub play let alone 2 mm.

Did they design this so the skewer is holding everything in place? Or are bearings on this hub shot?

There doesn't seem to be a way to tighten the freehub body on 177. (I'm used to wheels that can). Apparently pull the end caps and you can just pull the freehub body out with your fingers. There is no clinch nut like on 188.

Asking because this is a new build and the rear shifting is atrocious. Shifting problems up and down, or can adjust half the cassette to shift okay but then the other half is grinding. RD hanger is brand new and so are cables. I thought it might be loose freehub and looks like it is....
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q: new Firecest 808 11sp with 177 hub: 2mm play in freehub body [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q: new Firecest 808 11sp with 177 hub: 2mm play in freehub body [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.zipp.com/..._Hubs_SM_ENGLISH.pdf

That is a link to the exploded view of the hub.
You can see that the only thing holding it all together is the drive side endcap.
This should be a firm fit.

There is no way the freehub can move side to side once on the bike unless the small spacer is missing behind the freehub body.
This spacer is quite thin and merely serves to prevent seal drag between hub bearings and freehub bearings so cannot explain the amount of movement you say occurs.

I would check that you have the quick release springs around the right way and that the axle fully seats in the frame.

The shifting problem you explain occurs with a non aligned hanger, and no a new hanger is is not necessarily aligned.
Last edited by: lyrrad: Mar 13, 18 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q: new Firecest 808 11sp with 177 hub: 2mm play in freehub body [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Play is not side to side. It is in and out. Side to side play would be shot bearings.

When on the bike the QR is holding everything tight. Off the bike there’s 2mm of play. End cap is on tight. The play is in whatever the end cap is attached to, and the freehub body with it.

I contacted Zipp. They told me this was normal with 177 hub.

If normal then shifting problems are most likely bent RD hanger yes. Or cassette problems. I don’t have the RD alignment tool but I can try a different cassette easily enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Zipp 302's with the same movement.

Mechanic said it was ok and has to do with making it easier to self service.

Obviously, not the same level as 808's, but thought I would let you know.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q: new Firecest 808 11sp with 177 hub: 2mm play in freehub body [Bianchi928] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the assist. Really appreciate it.

I took the hub apart and then put it back together without changing anything. And now that play is reduced to minimal - almost gone. Small amount play is normal in a tool-less disassembly hub like a 177 hub.

Anyway. Replaced the cassette and the maddening shifting problems went away. No I did not forget a spacer or placed a cog spacer in the wrong place. :p

Bad news: replacement cassette is SRAM red. Those milled out of a single piece of metal. Damn this thing is so loud. The third largest cog sounds like turning a manual coffee or salt grinder. Shifts great! Other cogs are quiet.
Quote Reply