Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Icarus on Netflix
Quote | Reply
What a terrific documentary. The Russian Lab Director is a hoot...
Highly recommend.

Yeah, I know... take that shit to the main forum.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen to the Joe Rogan podcast with the creator of the documentary. Far, far better (and longer) then the doc itself, goes in to much greater detail and fleshes out some of the stories.

Pretty crazy stuff.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be required watching for anyone interested in Ruskie politics.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I watched it the other night. Very good documentary.

Interesting how the Lab Director pretty much said that it never stopped after 1980, its been continuing and only getting better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriHard Indiana wrote:
What a terrific documentary. The Russian Lab Director is a hoot...
Highly recommend.

Yeah, I know... take that shit to the main forum.

This is the main forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a cartoon on Telegraph that has a guy answering the phone in "Moscow Lab"

"No this is state-sponsored doping. You want state-sponsored poisoning"

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a great a movie. I recall there being a plan in place to duplicate the deception process used in Sochi in the World Cup.

Ian, A gent from London who writes for the SportDw posted the distance covered, speeds and duration of sprints by country during a match.

2018 World Cup

2014 World Cup

Draw you own conclusions.

Anyone surprised by Russia's success so far in a world sporting event on their own soil?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

Draw you own conclusions.

Good teams tend to fall near the middle? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a combination of match fixing and doping.

Can't wait for quatar's team to finally break out in 2022.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The US needs better doping programs? Seven points higher in 2014 than Russia in 2018 and we can’t even make the WC? Our programs obv suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
The US needs better doping programs? Seven points higher in 2014 than Russia in 2018 and we can’t even make the WC? Our programs obv suck.

We have a better plan for the future. Detain children from countries that are good in soccer and give them a spot on the team!

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jun 21, 18 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally came across this lost gem, and wow, just wow.. You all here all seemed to love it, have to say I totally agree. But for me, it was the fact that this nobody guy decided to do some pinchy documentary about himself, and ended up in the biggest story of the decade. And all by a fluke of circumstance, and the fact he just happened to have cameras rolling. I purposely didnt read any reviews, and forgot most of what you guys talked about here. The seguay from his personal quest to international intrigue and drama, was absolutely stunning, and very well done.

SO that's all I have to say, except if you have not seen this, give it a look...
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched last night. Great film. Agree, this guy fell backwards into a huge international political whistleblowing incident.

The Russian lab director Grigory came off as an infectiously likeable guy.

Side note, that was never really explored further in the film, I was a bit surprised at his lack race performance after that heavy doping regime. Kind of got dropped due to the other story with Russia blowing up.

Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
Listen to the Joe Rogan podcast with the creator of the documentary. Far, far better (and longer) then the doc itself, goes in to much greater detail and fleshes out some of the stories.

Pretty crazy stuff.

D'Kid & I were talking about JRE podcast about a week ago [or whenever his Spotify deal broke], and I was trying to remember which episode was my first

That may have been it

There definitely was a tie-in with Lance's The Forward podcast as I kinda remember Lance's guest asking him if he'd seen Icarus [he hadn't] and the guest saying "The guy who made it was just on Rogan; you need to see that"

So, I hopped over

If I remember correctly, at all

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
Probably a combination of match fixing and doping.

Can't wait for quatar's team to finally break out in 2022.

The Middle East countries have been rising quickly in running events with the co-incidental migration from Kenya. I wonder if we’ll see a lot of ex-Germans and Brazilians on the new team from Qatar?
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side note, that was never really explored further in the film, I was a bit surprised at his lack race performance after that heavy doping regime. Kind of got dropped due to the other story with Russia blowing up. //

I suppose doping does not insure that one will not have a bad day, I think that was all it was. His numbers were through the roof in training and leading up to the race, so if you take all of that history against the one bad day, the doping worked. But the other story got so big that of course that was the path to follow from there on out..
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Side note, that was never really explored further in the film, I was a bit surprised at his lack race performance after that heavy doping regime. Kind of got dropped due to the other story with Russia blowing up. //

I suppose doping does not insure that one will not have a bad day, I think that was all it was. His numbers were through the roof in training and leading up to the race, so if you take all of that history against the one bad day, the doping worked. But the other story got so big that of course that was the path to follow from there on out..

Its been a while since i watched it. If I am remembering correctly he had a mechanical (his Di2 battery died). Doping isnt going to prevent that.

I think it was clear that there were performance gains, but unfortunately the mechanical makes it impossible to quantify the performance gain compared to the previous year. It would have been interesting to see how much he improved but in the end i'm willing to live with that disappointment because of the bigger more interesting story that came out of the film.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Just watched last night. Great film. Agree, this guy fell backwards into a huge international political whistleblowing incident.

I agree, but on the other hand he was one of the drivers behind the organized Russian doping scheme, and didn't seem to have any moral problems with it at all. Goes to show that people tend to be complicated, I guess.
Also, I didn't quite understand his motivation (enthusiasm really) behind helping a random stranger from a different country developing a doping scheme while still being the head of the Russian anti doping facility at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus on Netflix [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Endo wrote:

I agree, but on the other hand he was one of the drivers behind the organized Russian doping scheme, and didn't seem to have any moral problems with it at all. Goes to show that people tend to be complicated, I guess.
Also, I didn't quite understand his motivation (enthusiasm really) behind helping a random stranger from a different country developing a doping scheme while still being the head of the Russian anti doping facility at the time.

Just got done watching this. Main talk about a crazy stroke of luck in your documentary process. I was waiting on Liam Neeson to come fying into Moscow and shuttle Gregory out via trains and dog sleed into Finland.
I had the same mixed reactions to Gregory's character and motivations. Then I remembered he was a doper as well. It seems he took the "everyone else is doing it" doping mantra into his work. Even when the McLaren report was handed down he was still sticking to the age old "it's all bullshit", "we will fight this" doper defenses to someone who he had to know knew he was bullshit with those excuses.
Quote Reply