Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed?
Quote | Reply
https://sur.co/altred/

Anyone know if studies are legit or if Betalain is legit? Seems they make some pretty huge claims, and I know many here have some great science background.....

Thanks in advance....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Save your money.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just as effective as halo sports headphones.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Basically just Beet Root. You can buy 2.2 lbs of Beet Root for < $20. I would say 1500 mg of Beet Root for $50 is pretty pricey.

Further to that you could likely buy 22 pounds of beets for 20$ or grow them for free if you have some dirt and water.

I’ve actually wondered if there are studies out there on say one beet in a smoothie vs xyz mg of powder.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Basically just Beet Root. You can buy 2.2 lbs of Beet Root for < $20. I would say 1500 mg of Beet Root for $50 is pretty pricey.

Further to that you could likely buy 22 pounds of beets for 20$ or grow them for free if you have some dirt and water.

I’ve actually wondered if there are studies out there on say one beet in a smoothie vs xyz mg of powder.

Maurice

Me too on that front. I usually buy the beets at the Costco/BJ that are pre-steemed and ready to blend. Usually you get 12-15 beets or so for ~$7. Beet prep otherwise is too time intensive. I worked with a beet powder company a few years back. I think it was 3 beets to make a tablespoon or something like that. Take the water out and you aren't left with much.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened in on the pitch at a race expo last weekend. I went online and read the studies too. The research supports the claims, but sample size is small.

I assume they funded the research, but didn’t confirm it.

I drink tart cherry and beet juice for the same anti inflammatory claims Altred makes. I would say both of these juices come at a hefty price tag and with a fair amount of calories per serving. The juices have some research behind them. It has been a while since I read those papers, but I imagine the sample sizes were significantly larger than the Alteed studies.

If I knew with some degree of certainty that the properties of the tart cherry or beet juices could be retained without the calories then I would pay the promo price at $30 / bottle. Not sure I could get my chin up to the bar for $50 / bottle regular price.

If I find the juice white papers I will update my post with a link(s).

Edit:
Rather than dig for a bunch of links here is a good summary on Tart Cherry Juice from TP with references at the bottom.
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...-endurance-athletes/

I found a bunch of mixed results on beet juice, here is what appears to me to be a more complex study, which shows dosing is pretty key and individually variable:
http://www.physiology.org/...plphysiol.00372.2013

Given how variable this study shows beet juice is on results it is hard to buy in to the take 1 pill every two hours approach. It would also be a total waste of money if you were one of the poor responders that require a higher dosage. i would be far more inclined to try a tart cherry skin powder than a beet extract pill. I could have this all wrong as I am not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination.
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Feb 26, 18 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Maurice

Me too on that front. I usually buy the beets at the Costco/BJ that are pre-steemed and ready to blend. Usually you get 12-15 beets or so for ~$7. Beet prep otherwise is too time intensive. I worked with a beet powder company a few years back. I think it was 3 beets to make a tablespoon or something like that. Take the water out and you aren't left with much.

I just throw two raw beets, spinach, some yogurt and maybe frozen berries or OJ in the ninja.

Do you lose anything (nutrients) with raw beets?

Of course all taste is acquired, my wife calls it the dirt smoothie.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression the claims were a stretch, but try to stay informed. Thanks to all!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
dosing is pretty key and individually variable

Speaking of individual differences:

http://physreports.physiology.org/content/6/2/e13575
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the confirmation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andrew. Very interesting...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Maurice

I just throw two raw beets, spinach, some yogurt and maybe frozen berries or OJ in the ninja.

Maurice

Raw beets would speed up the process and you probably get more nutrients not less as I am sure something is lost in the steaming process. But yeah, I bet it is an acquired taste, but beets cooked anyway are too. I'll have to drum up the courage some day to have a very EARTHY smoothie.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

I would do the same recipe in the Ninja (except with canned beets) and my wife called it the same. Maybe they are on to something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Does that have that dirt taste?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Does that have that dirt taste?

I have used a product called Beet Boost for years but it is beets + tart cherry and so imagine the cherry cuts the taste a bit. I like the taste of beets but in general beets is highly acquired taste from my experience. If you are using the powder I definitely suggest planning it around as an additive for smoothies. I am sure it is will have an earth flavor if you aren't accustomed to it.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 17, 18 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
just as effective as halo sports headphones.

As someone who likes beet on my salads I am offended by this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlete magazine and AltRed is pushing this article on FB.

http://www.triathlete.com/2018/05/nutrition/beets-increased-power-output-nobody-knows_323168

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Triathlete magazine and AltRed is pushing this article on FB.

http://www.triathlete.com/2018/05/nutrition/beets-increased-power-output-nobody-knows_323168

Yea, just saw that the other day. Eric came on ST and tried to peddle it but it was removed for some reason. Discussion got typical, so it seems no real evidence of anything other than $$ drain so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not bad stuff but certainly not as good as the Himalayan Beets.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump

A fellow triathlete friend I have a lot of respect for said at Augusta that there were 3 things he discovered that were game changers for him:

1. Coaching
2. Nike vaporfly%
3. AltRed

The 3rd one surprised me. Who has actually used it and what are your thoughts? And how often do you take it?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started using it and it’s amazing. I should have been ridiculously sore after yesterday’s workout but I feel nothing. Also, they specifically say you cannot get the extract from just eating regular beets or beet juice. I suspect it’s like a concentrated form. Like an essential oil in some respects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snake oil

Rule of thumb:

If its legal it probably doesn't work (there are two exceptions and they have small gains, 1. beta alanine 2. creatine)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [Echat12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Echat12 wrote:
I just started using it and it’s amazing. I should have been ridiculously sore after yesterday’s workout but I feel nothing. Also, they specifically say you cannot get the extract from just eating regular beets or beet juice. I suspect it’s like a concentrated form. Like an essential oil in some respects.

well of course they will say that. that makes their product special.

they had a booth at waco 70.3. on a whim i decided to get a bottle. ive read a lot about the effects of beet juice and ive put beets in smoothies off and on for a while.

anyway, i used it on course and to be honest i didnt notice any effect, but we all know race day isnt really when you're suppose to try anything new and there wasnt any sort of control or compare / contrast avail to see if it was actually doing anything. for all i know had i not taken it i could have possibly DNF'd. *shrug*

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything or have any experience with AltRed? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not for everyone and it doesn’t work instantly. It takes at least a week of regular use. And yes, you can eat all the beets in the world but it is only going to have a small fraction of the betalains in one pill. It sure has made a difference for me though 🤷ðŸ¼â€â™€ï¸
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next