Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Annihilation
Quote | Reply
Lena is a biologist and former Soldier whose husband disappeared during a secretive military mission a year ago. When he mysteriously returns, Lena is ecstatic until it becomes clear that he may not have come back fully himself. Lena is rapidly pulled into the shocking but intriguing world of the Southern Reach, a research complex set at the edge of a localized phenomenon known as Area X. Area X has been kept secret from the public, in part because no expedition sent into the area has ever returned. Lena suspects that the only path to saving her husband is to join the next expedition team, and cross the "shimmer" boundary into Area X to find out what lies on the other side. Lena joins the four woman team, which is led by a psychologist, and includes a paramedic, a physicist, and an anthropologist. Together the women venture through the shimmer to learn the secrets of Area X, and to see if they can come back out alive.

Annihilation is loosely based on the book of the same name written by Jeff VanderMeer in 2014 as the first novel in a trilogy. I say "loosely based on," and I do mean "loosely. The movie is recognizable as being related to the book, but it departs significantly from the Nebula award winner. I won't try to list all the ways in which the movie differs from the novel, but in broad terms, the character development is significantly different, as is the way in which the story deals with the primary puzzle of what caused the shimmer. In particular, the lead character is almost entirely different from her counterpart in the novels. Additionally, the conclusion is completely different, and seems to have been the result of trying to wrap up the story in a single movie, despite the fact that it took three books to dig deeper into the mystery, and even then the author didn't try to wrap things up in a neat package. Lastly, the movie takes on more of a horror feel than I got with the novel, relying more on scary monsters than the source material did.

If you leave the books aside, this is a solid but not spectacular sci-fi suspense/horror film. The pace is relatively slow, and the dialogue is sparse, but that allows the audience to focus on the environment and the developing psychological stress of the expedition team. Unfortunately, in diverting from the novel, the film turns into a fairly predictable story in which you wait for the next scary scene, count down as the team members die or disappear until only the heroine is left, and then watch as she wraps things up in a pretty blatantly foreshadowed manner. The film looks great. The director did a good job of creating some truly bizarre and beautiful aspects of the changing world inside Area X. The casting was also pretty good, and the actresses who make up the bulk of the cast (there are only 8 speaking roles in the film) do a fine job. Natalie Portman plays the lead, and Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, and Tuva Novotny all put in solid performances.

Annihilation has a fair amount of violence, gore, and some foul language. There are a couple of sexually suggestive scenes, but no nudity. It's definitely an adult movie.

Overall, if I hadn't read the book, I imagine that I would have found Annihilation to be a very good but not spectacular sci-fi film. Having read the book, I have a little disappointment, although the changes are understandable given the desire to turn the story into a single film. It actually left me feeling a bit the same as I did after Ex Machina, which was made by the same director. If you're a sci-fi fan, you'll want to go see this movie.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this today with my daughter. There are definitely some great scenes in the movie but there are places where you are begging to fast forward through a plot that moves as slow as molasses. I witnessed 4 people leave the theater and had I not been with my daughter I may have joined them. I would recommend that you catch this movie for free on TV when it is available. Damn, should have seen the Black Panther...

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I saw this today with my daughter. There are definitely some great scenes in the movie but there are places where you are begging to fast forward through a plot that moves as slow as molasses. I witnessed 4 people leave the theater and had I not been with my daughter I may have joined them. I would recommend that you catch this movie for free on TV when it is available. Damn, should have seen the Black Panther...

The movie was noticeably quicker moving than the book. It's not an action film.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Arrival was not an action film but it was much better. My expectations were a lot higher then what was delivered. I should have walked out when I saw that 75% of the seats were empty on a Saturday afternoon. Always a sure sign that a movie is going to suck. I may read the book just to fill in all the holes but if the book is slower.....Do they still sell Cliff Notes?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Arrival was not an action film but it was much better. My expectations were a lot higher then what was delivered. I should have walked out when I saw that 75% of the seats were empty on a Saturday afternoon. Always a sure sign that a movie is going to suck. I may read the book just to fill in all the holes but if the book is slower.....Do they still sell Cliff Notes?

The book doesn't fill in any holes from the movie. They are essentially different stories.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I have not read the books but I completely agree. I found the film underwhelming, the same way "Ex-Machina" was. Why everyone says Alex Garland's movies are amazing are beyond me. Yes, visually they look good but the story wasn't original and execution wasn't exactly smooth. Some flashbacks I found unnecessary as well looking at finding blurry video footage like the "Blair Witch" was ridiculous. The guys were losing their minds but could film, take out the video card(why?) and put it into a ziploc bag? They couldn't just write on a piece of paper? "We're all going crazy"? Jonathan Glazer's "Under the Skin" was way more surreal and memorable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strangely, outside the US it is not even getting cinema release - straight to Netflix - yet it is getting rave reviews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watched this on Netflix last night and agree -- good -- at times very good.

the film brought the underlying concept to life beautifully. I also liked the team of women tramping around and getting on with it with zero preaching or virtue signalling about women getting it done. The beast in the cabin was authentically haunting.

I had no idea what was going on in the last ten minutes but that's true of an awful lot of sci fi films. I liked the pace once the film got going but yes, very slow compared with most others out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn it Kiki, you got me all excited to read a new slowguy movie review -- only to find that this is a repeat.

I think one of the best on Netflix about "women tramping around and getting on with it with zero preaching or virtue signalling about women getting it done" is a series called Wanted. It is Australian. Two women on the run, real people with real issues. I've liked most all of the Aussie shows I've watched.

Meanwhile, wouldn't it be nice if this place -- and others -- had a icon, like OTR (old thread resurrection) that appeared next to the subject as a indicator?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the rec and sorry for the OTR. I missed SG's review the first time around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowguy, I just watched this last night and wanted your take on the ending.

********SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN IT***********

The way the final scene plays out, it seems as if "Original Lena" burned up in the lighthouse and "Alien Lena" has taken her place as she embraces "Alien Kane" and her irises glow. But that's not how the final lighthouse scene played out. Whether there was a Lena switcheroo or not, the Lena who blew up with the grenade was clearly the alien doppelgänger. No emotion, screaming, pain, etc. as she melted into colorful flames. Whereas the Lena watching this transpire, was showing fear, shock, horror. It seemed like they made it VERY clear that Original Lena escaped the shimmer. What did I miss?

And what was with the Wizard of Oz ending where that single grenade destroys this entire hundreds-of-square-miles alien cancer like no big deal?

Thanks for your feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "....this is a solid but not spectacular sci-fi suspense/horror film. "

This sums it up. I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it, but it was kind of a neat concept. I was a bit underwhelmed, but only because I picked it off of a list of "must see" sci fi films.

Portman has been disappointing me lately. She's good, but I was hoping for a lot more out of her career. Again, we can quibble on just how successful she is, but there was a point where I had thought she'd be the biggest name in hollywood.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'ts been awhile since I saw the movie, but here's my recollection.

For one thing, most of the movie is Lena recounting her experience to the scientists (Benedict Wong). So there's room for some doubt that the way she describes it is exactly accurate.

Second, even if we grant that Lena kills the double (which seems reasonable since the double's death extends to the rest of the shimmer), it seemed clear in the movie that Lena was kind of "infected" by the shimmer as well, so that even if it's the real Lena that escapes, she's been changed by her contact with the double and the Shimmer.

My memory of the grenade thing is that, like lots of movies looking for a quick resolution, it turns out that the double is essentially connected to all of the other pieces of the Shimmer, and killing it kills all of it. Same device used in movies like Avengers, Independence Day, or any other number of films where you just have to kill the big bad, and the rest of the lower tier bad guys go away as a result.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Annihilation [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Slowguy, I just watched this last night and wanted your take on the ending.

********SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN IT***********

The way the final scene plays out, it seems as if "Original Lena" burned up in the lighthouse and "Alien Lena" has taken her place as she embraces "Alien Kane" and her irises glow. But that's not how the final lighthouse scene played out. Whether there was a Lena switcheroo or not, the Lena who blew up with the grenade was clearly the alien doppelgänger. No emotion, screaming, pain, etc. as she melted into colorful flames. Whereas the Lena watching this transpire, was showing fear, shock, horror. It seemed like they made it VERY clear that Original Lena escaped the shimmer. What did I miss?

And what was with the Wizard of Oz ending where that single grenade destroys this entire hundreds-of-square-miles alien cancer like no big deal?

Thanks for your feedback.

While Lena is in the lighthouse, a drop of her blood enters the shimmer. That is how Alien Lena is created. However, Alien Lena is really a part of the shimmer itself. It isn't just an alien replica like Alien Kane. It is a part of the whole. When the grenade goes off, Alien Lena is destroyed and so is the shimmer. When the "heart" of the shimmer dies, everything connected to the shimmer dies with it. It is a representation of how all of the new nature is intertwined and when the heart dies, the body goes with it.

The real Lena exits the shimmer and goes back to the base. Lena sees Alien Kane. She knows it is Alien Kane because she saw Kane's body in the lighthouse. Lena asks Alien Kane whether any part of Kane is in there and Alien Kane says, "I don't think so." Alien Kane is full-blown alien and is the only remaining part of the actual shimmer. It is not Kane's body "infected" with the alien shimmer. It a creation of the shimmer. Lena is not an alien. But, remember, everything exposed to the shimmer mutates. So, while Lena is not a replica, she has been mutated by the shimmer into something else. The embrace at the end with the eye twinkle shows the shimmer has not been entirely destroyed and signal that the earth will continue to go through some form of mutation.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff. Thanks guys, for your takes on this.
Quote Reply