Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitcher Racing LIONEL SANDERS In Zwift Live Event
Quote | Reply
UPDATE #2: I have been seeded to race Lionel Sanders in the qualifying race on Saturday March 24th. Top 4 advance - 3 Laps of Watopia Hilly Reverse. 11 days until show time! Times marked are US Pacific.

UPDATE: Lionel Sanders has been invited to participate in the live event. So it should be fun to watch considering he just hammered out 420W for 15 min at that sprint tri.

Shameless self-promotion below:

I know there are varying opinions on here about Zwift--what role it should play in training, whether or not racing on it is "real", and how people cheat. I posted about Zwift racing and CVR some months back, and was met with responses of "huh, cool", to "I don't know why you'd be interested in virtual rankings".

Well, over the last 5 months, I chased those rankings--participating in races every week fine tuning my tactics in the game, and incorporating them into my 70.3 training as best as I could. In January I entered a series of races known as the CVR World Cup, racing at 4 AM so I could meet my actual life obligations at work and keeping my wife from hating me and my training.

Yesterday I sealed my victory to qualify for Zwift's CVR World Cup in Los Angeles on March 24-25, and will be competing against other Elite qualifiers (16 time zone winners--8 men, 8 women), as well as selected participants in Hunter Allen's CVR Training Camp "Performance Bracket". The total prize purse is a minumum of $106,000, as they are still crowdfunding the purse until the event.

Being a triathlete, while still working full time, I would like to think I am one of the underdogs in this event. The other racers include Leadville qualifiers, former professional European road racers, and elite time trial/road racers. If only there was a swim before and run after--I'd have it in the bag!

The weekend will feature a number of races: a hilly race, and climbing race, and a criterium. If I can place high enough on Saturday, I'll race in the Elite final on Sunday. If not, I'll race against the other people who also didn't place high enough in the "performance" finals.

Regardless of people's viewpoints of Zwift and racing in the game, I would really love to have support from this community as I take on the pure cyclists. Hoping to show them what us triathletes are made of, and take home as big a slice of that pie as I can! The event will be live-streamed over the CVR World Cup facebook, as well as Twitch.com. I'll absolutely come back to this post and link when I know for sure where is best to view.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with the CVR group--just pumped as hell to have won my Zone and qualified.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 13, 18 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Matt! I've been following your Zwift races/rides with great interest. Can't wait to see how you do!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome, congratulations.

A few questions:
Have you utilized zwift year round or just part of a winter training plan?
How many racers will you compete against?
I'm guessing CVR will provide Smart Trainers for power consistency across the board?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [marvloga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marvloga wrote:
A few questions:
I'm guessing CVR will provide Smart Trainers for power consistency across the board?

I've been riding Zwift almost exclusively (alongside TrainerRoad as well for specificity) since November 2016. I have around 10,000 miles logged in the game on my Tacx Neo.
There will be 20 men, 20 women in the "Elite" category--16 of us qualified by beating others in our time zone races over 8 weeks. The remainder are from Hunter Allen's training camp and are considered the "performance" racers.
And yes, CVR announced yesterday that Cyclops is the smart trainer sponsor for the event, so we will be racing on Hammers. We will also all weigh in before racing, as weight is a significant input in the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it turns out we were in the same Group B (though for me it was only 5am), though I'm the B bracket. I should have been in the C but they placed me in the B, so whata gonna do. I joined late, so I only got 3 races in. I'm looking forward to the next season that starts in March, I think the idea of the league is pretty cool. I don't know if they'll let me switch to C or if I'm forced to stay in B since I won't be relegated.

I hope you do well. I'm definitely pulling for you!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!! The B group was very tough! I'm pretty sure if you go onto cycledata.cvrworldcup.com you can change your bracket and zone in the "Races In" section.

Appreciate the kind words, and I'll do my best to represent Zone B in the finals!! The winner of B Bracket in our Zone is actually a friend of mine and a draft legal professional triathlete. Incredible athlete who really found his legs during this CVR season. Glad he was able to take the win in the B's!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm looking at his race results on ZwiftPower and I'm not even close to his league right now. The guy that won the C's I've actually raced a few times in other races, besides this league, and we are generally pretty close. I've never beaten him, but we are usually in the final sprint together. But I guess he's now promoted to B, so that's someone my caliber.

I assume since the postseason is still on zwift, we'll be able to follow along on zwift power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and best of luck!

I just finished my first tough virtual training block with the Tour of Sufferlandria... I have a new respect for the focus and motivation the virtual world offers.

Please post ways we can monitor the events live if possible. I'm not on Zwift, but I am Zwift-curious so I might peek in.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job!

I think I'm a solid cyclist but every time I've tried Zwift I seem to be pretty average. If you don't mind me asking, what's your FTP watts/kg?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!! I’ll definitely come back to this post with more info as the race approaches. It will be streamed on the CVR World Cup Facebook page for sure that weekend though. Coverage should be good!

I wanted to do the ToS but this series lined up during it so it would have been way too hard haha. Good work getting through it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!! It was a tough battle to take the win.

As for racing/riding indoors, i think equipment plays a role, and big fans in the pain cave. Staying cool indoors is very important.

And I haven’t tested my FTP in a month and a half, but it was 5.15 w/kg at the time of the last test. I’ve put in a solid amount of training and just did a 5 min test outside for Zwift Anti Doping (virtual cheating policing agency) and held 6.25 w/kg for 5 min. I’d wager my FTP is around 5.3 w/kg now as I’ve dropped a few pounds and seen some fitness increases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does Zwift have so many acronyms and how are you supposed to figure them out?

What's CVR?
Also, KISS and WBR seem to be popular races.

I mean, I've done a dozen plus races and a few of each I think, but I still don't know what any of it is or means.

Is this competition the same one as the Thursday night KISS crit competition where they took best 7 out of 10 races, or something different?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few different “groups” looking to build race communities on zwift

Cvr is a pay to enter, race series (do they profit from it too maybe). $ goes to winners and cool events like the championship series

Kiss has their own weekly crit championships. Doesn’t cost anything to enter and way less structured - just hop on and ride in as many races as you can

Kiss, WBR and others are zwift racing groups / teams that run their own weekly races.

In general the different group organizing the race doesn’t matter. Each have their own rules (re: things like starting all cat’s start together, or A start before B before C, etc, powerups, length of races, etc)

I race whatever fits my schedule, am indifferent to the team organizing
Last edited by: mvenneta: Feb 22, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and great work!

I hope youbdominate!

Will you be wearing the ST kit?!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Cvr is a pay to enter, race series (do they profit from it too maybe). $ goes to winners and cool events like the championship series

Kiss has their own weekly crit championships. Doesn’t cost anything to enter and way less structured - just hop on and ride in as many races as you can

Kiss, WBR and others are zwift racing groups / teams that run their own weekly races.

Just want to clarify that CVR didn't cost anything to compete--same as any other Zwift event. I did also take part in the KISS eCrit series and I'm sitting 10th (top 5 in North America East go to live event). Being a triathlete means my sprint isn't strong enough to crush the pure cyclist in that series. Great fun though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge Congratulations - that is impressive and shows great dedication. You should be a beast in tri's.

Question: Where does this level of cycling ability leave you in triathlons? top 1%? Amateur or pro? Are you long course or short course?

Just curious more than anything else. I am an ex road guy (last road race was 2008) who is currently doing triathlons. I did my first Zwift race a few weeks ago and was surprised at the first 5 min effort required. The last 10 years of tri training did not help for 5 minutes at 400+ followed up with sitting at 300+ for the rest of the race. Was fun but i think i entered the wrong category! (Back in the day this would have been perfect but i am old now :))
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
Question: Where does this level of cycling ability leave you in triathlons? top 1%? Amateur or pro? Are you long course or short course?

Thank you! And I'm sure you'll get used to the effort required in Zwift races pretty quickly. I race a lot of guys that are "old", and they still kick my ass!

As for the question I quoted above, I'm an amateur, but I'd say cycling is definitely my strong suit in triathlon. I focus on 70.3 and have for 3 years, but my short course power is pretty solid. I did out-bike TJ Tollakson last year on his Dimond Marquise at a local sprint--definitely a proud moment haha. Then I split 2:10 at Racine which was a top-20 split or so in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
marvloga wrote:
A few questions:

I've been riding Zwift almost exclusively (alongside TrainerRoad as well for specificity) since November 2016. I have around 10,000 miles logged in the game on my Tacx Neo.
There will be 20 men, 20 women in the "Elite" category--16 of us qualified by beating others in our time zone races over 8 weeks. The remainder are from Hunter Allen's training camp and are considered the "performance" racers.
And yes, CVR announced yesterday that Cyclops is the smart trainer sponsor for the event, so we will be racing on Hammers. We will also all weigh in before racing, as weight is a significant input in the game.

Can you please elaborate on how you use TR and Zwift in your training. I have used TR for 3 years with good gains. Although I am intreagued by Zwift, I am concerned about leaving out of the structured training of TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on getting into the race! Seriously awesome accomplishment. I can’t hardly fathom an FTP of 5.3 and I can’t imagine the work that went into getting there!

Also what’s your zwift handle?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Feb 25, 18 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Congrats on getting into the race! Seriously awesome accomplishment. I can’t hardly fathom an FTP of 5.3 and I can’t imagine the work that went into getting there!

Also what’s your zwift handle?

Thank you!! Very stoked to be going up against some of the strongest in the game, and can’t wait to see what my legs can do tapered for the race. Been training hard and racing 3-4 times a week since December.

My Zwift handle is just Matt Gardiner [SAKARI]
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Can you please elaborate on how you use TR and Zwift in your training. I have used TR for 3 years with good gains. Although I am intreagued by Zwift, I am concerned about leaving out of the structured training of TR.

I just follow a structured TR plan but I make substitutes for Zwift races frequently and include warmup/Cooldown to get a similar TSS and work the same power zones. For instance, if I have a VO2 max workout planned, I look for hilly races.

For recovery and long rides, I’ll usually let TrainerRoad Run the trainer in ERG and just watch Zwift for something more interesting than a graph for 2-3 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For people who don't really know anything about Zwift racing or haven't seen it in action...or people who claim it isn't realistic or that drafting doesn't work....

I am currently working to get my friend (J. Gravdal) to the next live event for CVR in June. Yesterday we timed a perfect breakaway and managed to hold it for the entire race. He is in a bracket-style postseason playoff, and he had to beat R. Lyons to advance.

At 20:45 into the video, the peloton split side-to-side in the road, and I was at back and noticed R. Lyons on the opposite side of Gravdal. I told him to attack steadily, and he built up a gap of about 5s before another rider joined him. The second the other rider showed that he was willing to work with Gravdal on the break (by taking a turn off the front at 5.5 w/kg) he told me to move. I bridged as hard as I could to ensure no one came with (23:45 into the video). We held off the chase for 38 minutes to clinch the win for him to advance to the next round.

Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Feb 28, 18 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the tag-a-long ended up winning the race!

Nice bridge by the way, that had to hurt a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe your buddy was wearing arm warmers on a hard trainer ride!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Qualifies for Zwift's CVR World Cup [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
But the tag-a-long ended up winning the race!

Nice bridge by the way, that had to hurt a little bit.

Haha, on the tag-a-long winning--I messaged him about 5 minutes into the break and told him we'd let him take the win if we made it to the finish. We just needed Gravdal to finish ahead of Lyons, so mission was accomplished. Yamamoto proved his worth every pull he took, and definitely earned the win.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Feb 28, 18 11:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next