Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread
Quote | Reply
It's that most wonderful time of the year again (for bike racing spectators). The 2018 season is almost upon us, and Het Volk/Nieuwsblad is this upcoming Saturday, followed by KBK on Sunday.

Last year, there wasn't enough interest for a season-long pick'em game. But i'd be done to manage it if more than 8 people decide to participate. Regardless, here's to another spring of bike racing

edit: this year's tally may be found here
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 25, 18 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about setting up a velogames league to take the work out of it?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Yes!

Clay! Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

I’m in.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw that Oss moved to Bora. Good for Sagan at Strada Bianchi and elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AND Peter Kennaugh. They’re a legit one-day contender now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

do you know if it accepts customized scoring? if so i'll take a look

McNulty wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Yes!

I’m in.

you beat me to it

and as for some trash talking, I'll serve you the way Sydnor served a warrant to Sen. Davis :p

-----

On a more serious note, I don't know why BMC let Oss go. Dude was such a beast (of burden)...
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 19, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

do you know if it accepts customized scoring? if so i'll take a look

McNulty wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Yes!

I’m in.

you beat me to it

and as for some trash talking, I'll serve you the way Sydnor served a warrant to Sen. Davis :p

-----

On a more serious note, I don't know why BMC let Oss go. Dude was such a beast (of burden)...

I don't know anything of custom scoring, but I doubt it. I see they don't even have 2018 Classics set up yet. It was just an idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly in as well, hopefully being a Belgian gives me some kind of advantage here :p
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are any of them televised (streamed)?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All are televised and streamed in Belgium, not sure about streams with English commentary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FUBO <supposedly> has a bunch of them.

http://www.velonews.com/...-cycling-2018_455699

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, thank you ..... I logged-in just for this thread. i'll play this year provided we don't need shared-doc/google-doc type access. that's usually problematic for me.

this is my favorite time of year. it will be interesting now that we're fully post Fabian/Boonen.
for the people who asked about streaming, steephill is always my go-to.
http://www.steephill.tv/...loop-het-nieuwsblad/

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
All are televised and streamed in Belgium, not sure about streams with English commentary

Exactly this. Neither RBTF nor Sporza has caught onto the fact that non-Belgians are watching using VPN. So a VPN to Belgium does the trick

Otherwise, most of the races are on Eurosport. Years ago, the more "minor" races like Het Nieuwsblad, Dwars door Vlaanderen, and Bribantse Pijl weren't covered, but I think all are on Eurosport these days. About the only noteworthy race not on Eurosport is the Belgian National Championship
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
ah, thank you ..... I logged-in just for this thread. i'll play this year provided we don't need shared-doc/google-doc type access. that's usually problematic for me.

this is my favorite time of year. it will be interesting now that we're fully post Fabian/Boonen.
for the people who asked about streaming, steephill is always my go-to.
http://www.steephill.tv/...loop-het-nieuwsblad/

Dave

Oh man, that may be difficult. It may be leaning that way for now :(
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not much of a classics fan, mainly because I personally find riding in cold, rain and on crappy surfaces, not really something I relate to. Plus I am more a fan of climbing and TTing anyway, but I'll follow loosely as a cycling fan.

Also, I don't think you need spoiler on this thread. Anyone who opens a classics thread and is surprised that their viewing tonite of a race that happened, got ruined, is a bit of an idiot. We're in 2018, not 2002....can we all just get rid of the spoiler prefix on cycling threads? (yes, I am on a mission to kill the spoiler thing) :-)

I'll loosely follow Milano San Remo and keep an eye on the spring multi day stage races, before I get excited about the Giro-Tour of California-Dauphine-Tour de Suisse-TdF-Vuelta-Worlds

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold weather has arrived on the west coast to create even more stoke just ahead of opening weekend. I'm in.

**Edit: "cold"
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 20, 18 7:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

McNulty wrote:

I’m in.

you beat me to it

Sheeeeit partner, I was acquitted on those charges, so who had the last laugh there?

I'll play you like I played Stringer Bell.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. This is my favourite time of the year for pro racing. Bring it on!

Carl Spackler wrote:
AND Peter Kennaugh. They’re a legit one-day contender now

Damn. That’s some shelter.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
echappist wrote:

McNulty wrote:

I’m in.

you beat me to it

Sheeeeit partner, I was acquitted on those charges, so who had the last laugh there?

I'll play you like I played Stringer Bell.

Avon told String not to play no away games. Sheeeeeeeeeeit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for participating.

Update: that's 8 yeses and 1 maybe so far. So I'll admin this thing on the clumsy google sheets again. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears

Rules as follows (largely same as 2016):

Before the start of the race, pick five riders, three podium positions and two also-runs; each of five entries have to be unique. You can make as many changes to your picks as you want, but this has to be before the start of the race. The points scored will be as such: base point, podium bonus, and winner bonus.

For base point, if any of your podiums and also-runs finish anywhere in the top five, you get one point. For podium bonus, if any of your three podium picks finish on the podium (exact position is not relevant), you get an additional point. For winner bonus, 2 additional points on top of the base point and podium bonus. The most one can score per round will be 5 base points + 3 podium bonuses + 2 winner bonus.

The point system remains mostly unchanged from 2016 except for the winner bonus (changed from 1.5 to 2).

The races for the prediction game are as follows: Het Nieuwsblad, KBK, Strade Bianche, Milano San Remo, Dwars Door Vlaanderen, E3, Gent Wevelgem, De Ronde, Paris Roubaix, Brabantse Pijl, Amstel Gold, Fleche Wallonne, and Liege Bastogne Liege. The two lowest scoring events are dropped from the score. Thus eleven scoring events and thirteen events overall.

Should there be a tie, tie breakers goes as follows:
-Total had the two lowest scoring not been dropped,
-Number of winners picked from all events,
-Number of winners picked from the scoring events,
-Number of podiums picked from all events,
-Number of podiums picked from the scoring events.

Currently, all races are weighed equally. I would prefer to keep this unchanged, though i'm also open to weighing the races by their UCI designation (1.HC, World Tour, and Monuments), should more than half of participants want it this way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next