Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option
Quote | Reply
So even that I love the new ISM PN 3.0 saddle, there seems to be one issue. As the rails are quite narrow at the back, most X-Lab rear hydration dont fit, except the Turbo Wing. I m looking for a single bottle holder on the back of the saddle.

Does anybody know of a rear single bottle holder that is quite minimal and which would fit the ISM PN 3.0 Saddle?

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [alexne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexne wrote:
So even that I love the new ISM PN 3.0 saddle, there seems to be one issue. As the rails are quite narrow at the back, most X-Lab rear hydration dont fit, except the Turbo Wing. I m looking for a single bottle holder on the back of the saddle.

Does anybody know of a rear single bottle holder that is quite minimal and which would fit the ISM PN 3.0 Saddle?

Something like the PD RMP that clamps across the rails should work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Have ordered one of those, and will try it!

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zip ties and a standard bottle cage.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried three different brands, x lab, PD and speedfil single bottle holder behind the saddle. None fit. The rails re just to narrow. Seems such a shame that ISM designed a saddle which does not fit any rear hydration system. Going to try the turbo wing now, but that really seems like overkill for a single bottle.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexne wrote:
Tried three different brands, x lab, PD and speedfil single bottle holder behind the saddle. None fit. The rails re just to narrow. Seems such a shame that ISM designed a saddle which does not fit any rear hydration system. Going to try the turbo wing now, but that really seems like overkill for a single bottle.
Is there a reason that zip tiews and a standard cage as stevej suggested, won't work for you?
I'm pretty sure the PN 3.0 chassis is almost identical to the Attack. I've previously attacked a Specialized Rib Cage to an Attack with zip ties without any problems. It's about the most minimal, lightest, cheapest and lowest drag systems you could use. Unless you need a position this won't accommodate, or you want a frame like a Turbo Wing to mount a repair kit to, there's probably no need to spend more than $20 total.

Incidentally, I've also used an Elite Skekane for rear hydration and that works with the Attack. It's not quite a s tidy a design as the Turbo Wing but does the same job just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xlab made a specific version for ISM Saddle like PN1.1&Attack: https://www.xlab-usa.com/delta-425.html
I think it's the same for PN3.0
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [crazyeng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On their compatibility chart it says it does not fit. Am going to try some zipp ties. If I cant get it rock solid, then a different saddle is the way to go.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [crazyeng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have talked to xlab and the only existing option that will work is the 2 bottle turbo wing and it has to be mounted on the horizontal part of the rails.

The PN3.0 rails (vertical part) are more narrower than other ISM saddles hence why existing options won't work.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your seat post has a 10mm thru-rail, you can use the TriRig Beta, which can be configured as either a single or double bottle holder. It is fairly adjustable in terms of how far behind the saddle you want it. I've been using one for a few months now with two x-lab gorilla xt cages and it has been flawless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexne wrote:

That sucks. I've been considering changing my wife from the JOF55 to the PN 3.0. I hadn't looked at the rails closely before. They are tucked way under the back of the seat, almost vertical and as you've mentioned - narrow!

So the narrow width is what keeps the PD or Speedfil clamp from working - bolt spacing interferes with saddle rails?

From the images below it seems some of the carriers made from flat aluminum stock might be an option if they have clips aligned horizontally to match the vertical rails. Maybe any width difference could be handled with some bending of the aluminum. So something like the PD RML if it is long enough to clear the back of the seat. The Vision Trimax Rear mounts up in similar fashion, but is very pricey.

The fit trial and error adds up for cost and time. Too bad ISM doesn't have a recommendation. Most triathletes want to run some kind of BTS hydration.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it might be worth trying to bolt on whatever hydration you use. I have the pn1.1 which takes the Xlab mount and cage with the Aero pouch the 1.1 is also vertical but not as bad as the 3.0. I have been trying out the 3.0 on the trainer and was able to get the Speciaized hydration carrier to clamp, but its not perfect and not sure if it would hold on the road long term. I did get the XLab clamp for the 1.1 and think it should work for the 3.0 if needed. The problem with the 3.0 (as its almost the same dimensions as 3.0 int he rear) is the sides of the shell extend down in the back near those vertical rails which really prevents a beef clamp to get in there.
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robegan99 wrote:
If your seat post has a 10mm thru-rail, you can use the TriRig Beta, which can be configured as either a single or double bottle holder. It is fairly adjustable in terms of how far behind the saddle you want it. I've been using one for a few months now with two x-lab gorilla xt cages and it has been flawless.

Exactly, that is what I am using and it is great, had it with the PN1.0 (Attack), and now with the PN3.0.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Elite Skekane would work with that.
It's not fancy but it should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I think the Elite Skekane would work with that.
It's not fancy but it should be fine.
Using the same (on the Ism TT), depending on saddle position.....I drilled additional holes in the skekane, mounted it close to the front of the saddle and secured it with zip ties near the rear of the rails. Gets it very close to the saddle.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Profile Design cage (the type with the rubber band thingy to help stop bottle ejections), that is quite wide at the bottom corner. I drilled a small notch - just a few mms deep - into the bottom back corner of the cage and that sits nicely on the pointy bit at the back of my seat post. This base makes it nice and secure when it's secured laterally with zip-ties to my Adamo Attack. You can vary the position of the drilled notch depending on what angle you want the cage to sit at.
I don't see any reason it shouldn't work well even with slightly narrower rear-facing saddle rails.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How wide are the rails apart? Was considering getting a PN 3.0 but this could be a deal breaker.

I have a Speedfil R3 that fits an Adamo Attack (which has near vertical rails too) so maybe this may work?
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my PN1.1 fairly far back, almost maxed out. How far back can you adjust it away from the saddle? I’m curious if I can get the clearance if need. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not positive, that would be a question for TriRig, but from what I have seen with it there is a lot of adjustability and I don't think it would be a problem.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the PN 3.0 and it is a great saddle. Same problem with a few of the rear mount units.

I managed to get it to fit my old Specialized Reserve Rack II to the PN 3.0.

The bottle cage will sit very close to the saddle thus I added some sponge tape to cushion between them.

Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [Bigwhizkid3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do any other mods than the tape? Do you have any experience with the specialized rack in terms of launching bottles etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hhetland wrote:
Did you do any other mods than the tape? Do you have any experience with the specialized rack in terms of launching bottles etc.?

No other mods. Launching of bottles will have to depend on the bottle cage used.
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics please!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ISM PN 3.0 Saddle & Hydration Option [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won’t have any before March 17th.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar problem with that saddle and the Minoura rack. The bottles point forward and the bars hit the saddle. A couple of minutes with a propane torch makes the aluminum soft enough to bend to make it fit. If you don't heat the metal, it will snap if you try to bend it.

Video - https://www.instagram.com/...aken-by=zentriathlon

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next