Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Westminster Dog Show
Quote | Reply
I watched the Westminster dog show over the Olympics the last three nights. My wife has wanted an inside dog since we got married 25 years ago, but we never had one in the house when I was growing up and wasn't comfortable with it. After watching the Westminster dog show for several years and seeing the intelligence and sweetness in those dogs, I told my wife that I'd be open to getting an inside dog. That was two years ago and we now have two dogs that we love. If it weren't for this show, we probably would not have dogs.

Regarding the show. The Bichon won, which surprised me - and we have a Bichon mix.

There was lots of cute and comedy with Bean the Sussex Spaniel who was a crowd favorite. Video here

The dog what won me over was the Border Collie which was so alert, attentive and intense. You could see the intelligence in those eyes as he stayed focused on his handler. Video Here

Best of Group Winners -

Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed it this year because I was working. Usually I watch it and text my sister all night about the dogs.

Love watching.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs are the best!!! My life would be incomplete without my dogs. I love watching the dog shows. I also love watching the Incredible dog show where they show the dogs in agility and jumping into water and with frisbees. Dogs are so amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention the agility contest, I'm glad you brought it up. That is awesome too. We couldn't help but smile at the dogs barking as they made their way through the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a fan of the dog shows. The level of selective breeding to achieve some artificial standard is saddening. Not to mention the inbreeding.
The case that particularly breaks my heart is the high rates of Syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. This condition is often a result of the breeding to achieve a head shape that some old English Noble or American Socialite determined was 'ideal' for the breed.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I am not a fan of the dog shows. The level of selective breeding to achieve some artificial standard is saddening. Not to mention the inbreeding.
The case that particularly breaks my heart is the high rates of Syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. This condition is often a result of the breeding to achieve a head shape that some old English Noble or American Socialite determined was 'ideal' for the breed.

I was not aware of that, though I can see how it could be an issue with all the money on the line. The first dog we got is a CavaPoo which is a cross between the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a poodle. He is extremely intelligent and sweet, though he can be a bit of an ass to the Bichon mix we have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs are annoying.

I was at my inlaws place the other day, they were watching my wife's uncle's dog for the day.

The stupid dog was terrified of my 6 month old. My son was lying on the floor, on his back. he can't roll over. He is literally no threat to anyone in any way, shape or form.

For some stupid reason the dog took a shining to me. I tried my best to ignore the dog. When it kept trying to jump up on my lap I would push it down. Then it decided that this was a game and started barking at me trying to get me to "play" more.

Fuck, just leave me alone you stupid ball of fleas.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. If it isn't horny and weighs less than 1000 pounds you don't want anything to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I know. If it isn't horny and weighs less than 1000 pounds you don't want anything to do with it.

Can you imagine how many fleas a Moose has?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://vids.today/sports/fox-sports/winston-the-norfolk-terrier-wins-the-terrier-group-westminster-dog-show-2018-fox-sports/

I will see your bichon and raise you an otterhound. And If you click on the link you get winston the terrier who rocks too

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Winston was too cute. To be honest, I wasn't really pulling for the Bichon. I like the Bichon better than the pug and the Borzoi, but preferred the other dogs.

So you have an Otterhound? They look like great dogs.

I understand the concern about unethical breeding that is the result of dog shows, but they really do a great job at showing the different types of dogs in a great light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like most dogs, but Bichon's suck IMO... I get they look kinda cartoonishly cute in show trim, but had a friend w/ one and in real life that fluffy white fur is always crudded up w/ snot, eye boogers, food stains, etc ~ and that's just from the font; I can only imagine how much worse the tail end gets to maintain.

Gotta add a plug for 'Best in Show' if there's a chance anyone hasn't seen it already... same cast of clowns that did Spinal Tap. Fucking spot on how they spoof the lovingly pathological devotion we have to our critters.

Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Best in Show, such an awesome movie. My wife used to work with someone who shows dogs and they said some of the personalities captured in the movie were spot on.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Otterhound is my fantasy dog. However doesn't fit our current lifestyle. We have a coton de tololier which is quite a bit like the bichon. My wife got the dog but I really like it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Westminster Dog Show [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was running an insurance claim last year and someone had a coton de tololier. It was a beautiful and sweet dog. I remembered the breed from the Westminster where they said that the "coton" referred to its fur being like cotton.

I've run into a lot of great dog breeds while running claims. One surprising one was the Rhodesian Ridgeback in Denver. It was a big, sturdy dog that was welcoming to me when the owner introduced us. He was beautiful, but I could imagine what he would do to anyone who threatened his human.

Before getting our current dogs, I was always a fan of the bigger breeds like the labs and the retrievers. Now, enjoy the smaller ones as well - with one exception.

Interesting side note - chihuahuas. The long haired chihuahuas always seem to be friendly whereas the short haired ones seem to be the typical bossy/bitchy chihuahua.
Quote Reply