Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Past Presidents' Portraits
Quote | Reply
There was a discussion about former First Lady Michelle Obama's official portrait, and the same fellow who painted hers also painted former President Obama's as well. My own opinion about the two portraits, as I've already noted, is that they are both remarkable examples of modern art (borrowed that one from Winston Churchill).

At any rate, here are examples of past presidential portraits as well as the portrait of Mr. Obama. I realize it's the 21st century and all, but it seems to me that art, at least as it applies to our presidents, should be a bit more traditional than "modern," though the portrait of John F. Kennedy is a bit more modern than that of past presidents. Bill Clinton's is classic Bill Clinton, that's all I'll say about that one. ;-)

(Personally, I like Truman's, Washington's and Carter's the most.)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking through the past portraits a bit yesterday, too. Here's a handy link if anybody wants to see all of them.

I'm no art critic by any means, but I liked Calvin Coolidge's the best. It's kind of odd and a bit unnatural, but I think what I like about it is that it reminds me of a painting in my grandparents' house.

I like Truman and Eisenhower's a lot, too.

Woodrow Wilson looks like he could be related to my family - his portrait bears a striking resemblance to my grandpa and a couple of my uncles.

I like Teddy Roosevelt's and Kennedy's as art, but not as portraits. If that makes any sense.

Buchanan's is amusing. I think the artist had some black paint they needed to use up.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
There was a discussion about former First Lady Michelle Obama's official portrait, and the same fellow who painted hers also painted former President Obama's as well.

Kehinde Wiley painted President Obama's; Amy Sherard painted Michelle Obama's.
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I like Teddy Roosevelt's and Kennedy's as art, but not as portraits. If that makes any sense.

Those two are a bit different from the rest. Roosevelt's original was destroyed, and the current one was commissioned afterward. Kennedy's was painted posthumously.

Kahuna mentioned that Pres Clinton's was a good match for the man, but apparently the Clintons hate that portrait, and the artist has said that the shadow on the mantle is supposed to symbolize the shadow cast on his Presidency by the Lewinski scandal.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
There was a discussion about former First Lady Michelle Obama's official portrait, and the same fellow who painted hers also painted former President Obama's as well.

My error. Thanks for catching that,

So there are two artists out there producing these kinds of portraits? Good to know. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

My error. Thanks for catching that,

So there are two artists out there producing these kinds of portraits? Good to know. ;-)

Yeah.. scary, huh?

Unrelated (yet semi-related?).. a good friend's uncle made quite a living for himself as a portrait artist to Saudi royalty, with works like these:

At one point - largely from the proceeds from these, and a collection of Iraq war-related paintings that he sold to the Saudis for some crazy figure - he was Britain's wealthiest artist, yet somehow died bankrupt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of these things is not like the other. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Those two are a bit different from the rest. Roosevelt's original was destroyed, and the current one was commissioned afterward. Kennedy's was painted posthumously.

Kahuna mentioned that Pres Clinton's was a good match for the man, but apparently the Clintons hate that portrait, and the artist has said that the shadow on the mantle is supposed to symbolize the shadow cast on his Presidency by the Lewinski scandal.

This is why I hate art. I would have said it was a shadow cast by his body lit by the light in front of him.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Feb 14, 18 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should commission George W. Bush to redo all of them!!!!

George W. Bush paintings

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
W's paintings are high quality portraits - but at least they look like the subject.
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
W's paintings are high quality portraits - but at least they look like the subject.
Yeah I was gonna say, he's got a little abstract art going on there, maybe just a lack of refinement, but unlike Michelle's portrait I recognize the vast majority of his subjects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We discussed at work that the out going pres should do the portrait for the incoming or vice versa.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
We discussed at work that the out going pres should do the portrait for the incoming or vice versa.

That would be awesome, though I would be worried if Trump was responsible for Obama's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That would be awesome, though I would be worried if Trump was responsible for Obama's.

I am looking forward to Trump's.

Now that Obama has opened the door.

Trump's can portray him shirtless, riding atop a bald eagle, shooting lightning bolts at America's enemies. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Trump's can portray him shirtless, riding atop a bald eagle, shooting lightning bolts at America's enemies. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smil'n Hawaiian wrote:
They should commission George W. Bush to redo all of them!!!!

George W. Bush paintings

You'd think that GWB did Obama's given all the shrubbery.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, man. I just threw up in my mouth a little. LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only a little?
Quote Reply
Re: Past Presidents' Portraits [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Only a little?

I managed to avert my eyes before my gag reflex completely took over. ;-)

Quote Reply