Quote | Reply
...you die by the lions

http://www.bbc.com/...orld-africa-43035474

Karma is a bitch, eh?

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news story of the day. If only deer and elk could defend themselves ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karma is a bitch, eh?

Great to see. I've always wondered how few hunters there would be if there was even the slightest chance they would be killed on a hunt.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Feb 12, 18 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Live in SE michigan. They don't defend themselves they commit suicide and try to kill you and your family in your car.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope those lions took their sweet time.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Live in SE michigan. They don't defend themselves they commit suicide and try to kill you and your family in your car.

ahhhh so.
deer of japanese linage, kamikazes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Karma is a bitch, eh?

Great to see. I've always wondered how few hunters there would be if there was even the slightest chance they would be killed on a hunt.

There was a hunter who got mauled by a black bear here in Maine a couple of years ago. I think he had shot it and went up to it, but it wasn't dead. Chewed up his hands and forearms pretty good if I remember correctly.

Not a karma story but some guy fought off a bear who was attacking his dog just last week!
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Yeah, but they can't. Neither can the cows, pigs or chicken that you buy in the grocery store.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Feb 13, 18 4:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Karma is a bitch, eh?

Why wonder? There is plenty of evidence on this issue. Bear, wild boar, cougars, coyotes ... hell, even javalina will kill you if they get a chance. That doesn't stop the hunting of them. I don't think it even slows it down.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Yeah, but they can't. Neither can the cows, pigs or chicken that you buy in the grocery store.

or wear around your waist or on your feet.

we were at dinner last week with another couple. the dude is like my brother so i temper my comments to his wife. he and i were talking about elk hunting, as she is looking down preparing to take a bite of food, kind of under her breath, makes the comment 'she doesnt condone that type of activity'. it was an awkward moment. not because she said she doesnt condone hunting but because at the time she uttered her opinion she was cutting meat off the pork ribs she was eating. i mean first of all, who the hell eats pork ribs with a knife and fork??? and second, who says they dont condone hunting whilst eating meat???

i put number two in pink because i know the answer to the ridiculous question even tho she doesnt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Moose are particularly skilled at kamikaze attacks on unsuspecting motorists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
...you get eaten by a giant pussy

FIFY
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
JD21 wrote:

we were at dinner last week with another couple. the dude is like my brother so i temper my comments to his wife. he and i were talking about elk hunting, as she is looking down preparing to take a bite of food, kind of under her breath, makes the comment 'she doesnt condone that type of activity'. it was an awkward moment. not because she said she doesnt condone hunting but because at the time she uttered her opinion she was cutting meat off the pork ribs she was eating. i mean first of all, who the hell eats pork ribs with a knife and fork??? and second, who says they dont condone hunting whilst eating meat???

i put number two in pink because i know the answer to the ridiculous question even tho she doesnt.

I'll play. You don't see a difference between the farming of animals for food and the killing of something for sport?
I am all for people hunting if they are using the meat/pelts for themselves, however, for sport? Nope.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Why wonder? There is plenty of evidence on this issue. Bear, wild boar, cougars, coyotes ... hell, even javalina will kill you if they get a chance. That doesn't stop the hunting of them. I don't think it even slows it down.

I mean equal odds of getting killed. An animal has almost a 100% of getting shot, a hunter has a fractional percentage of getting killed. If the odds were 50/50, my bet is a lot of the bravado of hunters would disappear pretty quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Quote:

I mean equal odds of getting killed. An animal has almost a 100% of getting shot, a hunter has a fractional percentage of getting killed. If the odds were 50/50, my bet is a lot of the bravado of hunters would disappear pretty quickly.

Moving the goal posts huh. Was "slightest chance" and now "equal odds". Thanks for playing though.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Feb 13, 18 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Madduck wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
JD21 wrote:

I'll play. You don't see a difference between the farming of animals for food and the killing of something for sport?
I am all for people hunting if they are using the meat/pelts for themselves, however, for sport? Nope.

The statement above was about deer and elk. How many deer and elk hunters kill for sport and leave the meat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
An animal has almost a 100% of getting shot

Wow. Can you provide a source for that assertion? It certainly doesn't jive with my experience.

You must be a hell of a hunter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hurrah! go lions!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping it was that asshole dentist.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I was hoping it was that asshole dentist.

He's been dead for a while, but a fake medical practitioner like a chiropractor would be almost an equal sacrifice.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live by the lions... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Madduck wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
JD21 wrote:

you've started a new game though. as was stated earlier, we're talking about deer and elk, no lions or tigers or bears, oh my.
and context should be everything, but in todays climate it seems we take a phrase and blow it to one extreme or the other to show our fake outrage because it makes us feeeeel good.

my buddy and i are two, law abiding, outdoor loving and supporting guys who dont even have speeding tickets to our names in over 8? 10? years. we are sitting at the dinner table having this conversation, and part of the conversation we were having was regarding the hunting licenses we had recently procured, my first. i've fished my entire life, with a license, but have recently become interested in hunting. he's from northern minnesota and has been a legal hunter his entire life. so i still stand by my point that she is a hypocrite for stating she doesn't condone our activity whilst carving meet off a rib.

and i will play your game. yes, there is a difference between shooting and leaving an animal to die vs harvesting the animal for food. i do not condone the former and do not know anyone who has or does participate in that behavior. the animal rights people like to take the outliers and paint with their broad brushes that this is the behavior of most, if not all hunters. i grew up in the midwest and tho i didn't hunt many of my friends did
and still do. i can honestly say i know of no one who hunted and left the animal in the woods. the costs for hunting illegally can be amazingly costly, both monetary wise and with jail time. illegal activities in the outdoors comes at a really high cost and i have zero problems with it. it is cheap to follow the law and buy a license. it's even cheaper if you follow the rules regarding when and where to hunt because the cost of breaking these rules is so high.

regarding big game animals in africa, if someone enjoys that activity knock yourself out, it's really none of my business. i enjoy riding my bike, they enjoy hunting big animals. and i do understand the difference, we have an animals life at stake here when talking about hunting. but if the economy of the country where the hunt takes place, the environment and the sustainability of the species are also brought into the mix the picture changes.

i have no interesest in shooting just to stuff but i dont disparage someone who does as long as the laws of that country are followed. if your feelings are hurt because of a lion that was shot in africa then i'd ask what are you doing about it other than complaining to friends and neighbors?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply