Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike choice help
Quote | Reply
Hello y'all!

I'm thinking of buying me a roadbike. Mainly to train for triathlon. I do have a BMC TM01 where I do most of the trainings with and a MTB for when the weather is not that good and I want to keep my TT clean.

Now I am thinking of selling my MTB and buying a roadbike. I mainly do this to ride more in summer with my friends and go on holliday better with my roadbike.

The budget is a hard nut to crack. At the moment I am thinking of 2 bikes:
-> Canyon Aeroad CF SLX. (4000-6000€)
Things I think about: I have rimbrakes on my TT bike and Enve SES 7.8 wheels on it. So do I simply choose a rimbraked roadbike? I do like disc brakes more cause of better braking in the crowded traffic sometimes. But if I choose rimbrakes I can switch easily between wheels for my 2 bikes... I also like to do a sprint triathlon with this bike

-> BMC Roadmachine 01 Two
More expensive, very good looking. And also BMC. Expensive though. Only Disc brakes.

Don't know very good other roadbikes which also look awesome. Roadbikes I can use for training and sprint triathlons.

This is something I am stuck on and keep breaking my head on. Maybe some of you can give me a good insight or an other way of thinking.

Thx in advance.
Last edited by: Roflpain: Feb 12, 18 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike choice help [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a TM01 and a couple of road bikes. Before asking what road bike, you should decide on what type of road bike you want: race, endurance, aero, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike choice help [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question.

I think comfort is more important. Where I live (Belgium, Flanders) the roads are very awfull. And I will do some longer rides as training (2-4hours) and with some friends (2hours). I also have my TT bike to do trainings.

Aero might not be so much of an important thing, cause I might actually race it 2 times a year in an actual race. And I am not a pro so that one minute I win doesn't gonna make much of a deal. But I do like to go fast and know I got the best bike to go fast.

Actually, I am looking for a bike besides my TT bike. To ride with friends, to take on vacation, which is much easier to take a roadbike than a TT bike.
Now I have a mtb as a second bike but I don't use it as a MTB. I only ride on the road with it. But this bike can get dirty, I don't like to get my TT bike dirty. And when wet I feel scared to crash it.

It is difficult to explain what I am looking for but I hope my effort made it a bit clear to you?

Thx in Advance
Roflpain
Last edited by: Roflpain: Feb 12, 18 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMC SLR02 - you get the handling of the SLR01 at just a little more weight, a little less cost, but also slightly more forgiving. I do NOT have this bike but have been looking at it closely.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-bmc-team-machine-slr02-14-48179/

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/bmc-teammachine-slr02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get disc brakes whatever you do. The industry is throwing rim brakes to the curb. Full disclosure I have never even ridden a road bike with discs, but if I was forki ng out the cash for a new one, I wouldn't dare consider a rim brake bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you opposed to a do-it-all bike like the 3t Exploro or Open UP?

The Exploro makes great road bike. With the right tires and pressure, it offers a very comfortable ride. It can also handle off road use. Since you are getting rid of a MTB to buy this next bike, why not buy one bike that can do it all?

If the Exploro geometry doesn't work out for you, then check out the Open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my latest roadie - I specifically looked for high tire clearance, 28-30mm. I've built two sets of wheels, a nice carbon set for rolling on the roads, and an aluminum set with larger volume tires for exploring farm and fire roads. ( I picked rim brakes, mostly on aesthetics...having some buyers regret with poor braking on the carbon set)

I've loved the versatility and if you are coming off an indestructible MTB you would appreciate the freedom. Something like the Trek Domane would be more capable than an Aeroad.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike choice help [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
Are you opposed to a do-it-all bike like the 3t Exploro or Open UP?

The Exploro makes great road bike. With the right tires and pressure, it offers a very comfortable ride. It can also handle off road use. Since you are getting rid of a MTB to buy this next bike, why not buy one bike that can do it all?

If the Exploro geometry doesn't work out for you, then check out the Open.

Kind of what I was thinking as well. Rodeo Labs also makes a similar bike, but also has options for a steel frame to bring the cost down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking hard at a Rose X-Lite since they released their newest version:
https://www.rosebikes.com/...ace/x-lite-six-disc/
They also have cheaper options and full customization.
Plus, subtract 19% VAT from the price if you don't live in Europe.
My next road bike will be disc purely for being able to go with larger tires.

Quote Reply
Re: Road bike choice help [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I have a TM01 and a couple of road bikes. Before asking what road bike, you should decide on what type of road bike you want: race, endurance, aero, etc?

What road bikes do you have?

At this moment I am in big favor of the Roadmachine 01 Two.
Last edited by: Roflpain: Feb 13, 18 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2008 Trek Madone 6.9 and 2015 Argon 18 Gallium Pro.
Quote Reply