Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump killing the gun market
Quote | Reply
Down goes Remington

https://www.nbcnews.com/...s-bankruptcy-n847316

I thought this was interesting.
"Industry wide, gun manufacturing had been ramping up even as ownership rates decline. More than 11 million firearms were manufactured in the U.S. in 2016, up from fewer than four million a decade ago, according to data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. In 2014, 31 percent of American households reported owning a firearm, down from 47 percent in 1973, according to a report from National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago."

https://www.bloomberg.com/...enders-in-bankruptcy

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not related to Trump, but to gun ownership. You can decide whether this is fake news.

http://www.foxnews.com/...elling-about-it.html

The statistics also fail to account for the booming sale of 80% frames.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Post deleted by DavHamm [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
Not related to Trump, but to gun ownership. You can decide whether this is fake news.

http://www.foxnews.com/...elling-about-it.html

The statistics also fail to account for the booming sale of 80% frames.

Errr Uhmmm a bit old isn't it.

Your link reports numbers from 2016. This article was published in and cites numbers from 2016. I don't understand your comment.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remington is just filing for bankruptcy while it reorganizes. The story details them being hit in alot of legal costs some relating to Sandy Hook. The most shocking thing in the article was the statement that fully 25 percent of all long guns bought in one year in the US were AR-15s. A million in one year! Less households owning guns but more households owning arsenals. I would bet less people hunting than in days gone by.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About five years ago during the Obama scare I almost started a firearms manufacturing business with a friend of mine. We were going to sell AR lowers initially just to ride the wave but we had some unique product ideas as well. We were going to make an AR in 5.45 that took AK mags and we also had an idea for a self-regulating DI gas system that used a piston that moved in the opposite direction of the bolt carrier (which would tame recoil impulse a bit).

When I looked into buying CNC machines I kept hearing the same thing: 3-6 month lead times, everyone and their brother was starting to manufacture guns. After about the fifth time I had a sales rep tell me that I told my friend that I was going to take a pass on the venture.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
About five years ago during the Obama scare I almost started a firearms manufacturing business with a friend of mine. We were going to sell AR lowers initially just to ride the wave but we had some unique product ideas as well. We were going to make an AR in 5.45 that took AK mags and we also had an idea for a self-regulating DI gas system that used a piston that moved in the opposite direction of the bolt carrier (which would tame recoil impulse a bit).

When I looked into buying CNC machines I kept hearing the same thing: 3-6 month lead times, everyone and their brother was starting to manufacture guns. After about the fifth time I had a sales rep tell me that I told my friend that I was going to take a pass on the venture.

Lucky you! I had a client that had wanted to get into the firearms business for some time, and the stars lined up for them late 2012, early 2013 (factors outside of the demand). They had plenty of CNC machines and the tolerances required were less than what they hold for other products they make. They went from having distributors eager to buy out all of their production for the next year, to having no one to sell to within 2-3 months when the bubble popped mid-year. Had things shifted for them by even even six months, they would have printed a ton of money instead of suffering a few bruises.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct Dave. I live in gun central 'Merica and have at least five gun shops within 10 miles. I like to stop in and shoot the bull. They are really hurting. In addition, one of my college buddies is in the AR manufacturing business. While speaking with him a few weeks ago he said the small AR manufacturing boutique businesses are all going out of business. His....is dead in the water right now, not selling anything and his company makes an outstanding product. I was amazed to hear that there's (were) over 200 AR platform manufacturers in the U.S.

The problem I have is....the prices aren't coming down. I have several guns in mind that I've been watching/wanting for some time and I figured once the industry stalled (like right now) the prices would drop...but they don't seem to be for some reason. Maybe because the high end guns are still selling to people who can afford them? I don't know?

Thoughts on that from anyone else in here?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Remington is just filing for bankruptcy while it reorganizes. The story details them being hit in alot of legal costs some relating to Sandy Hook. The most shocking thing in the article was the statement that fully 25 percent of all long guns bought in one year in the US were AR-15s. A million in one year! Less households owning guns but more households owning arsenals. I would bet less people hunting than in days gone by.

When you reduce wildlife protection and regulation, open up habitat to ranching and mining, there is less to hunt.

So yeah, less people will be hunting. Unless you count farm hunting, which is a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
len wrote:

When you reduce wildlife protection and regulation, open up habitat to ranching and mining, there is less to hunt.

So yeah, less people will be hunting. Unless you count farm hunting, which is a joke.

I think there is a cultural trend as well. Al least that is my impression from reading articles by the "sportsman" guy in our local paper. They always seem to be lamenting the lack of young people into hunting and advocating for this or that program to increase youth participation.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
len wrote:

I'm wondering if this is a remark on the Trump administration or just the last few decades in general? Because in the sportsmen community (aka conservationists) the Zinke announcement the other day was pretty good for wildlife.

Urban/suburban sprawl has destroyed more wildlife habitat than allowing a few drillpads out in the middle of nowhere.

Not to mention...Obama's Ivanpah solar array has killed (burnt alive) more endangered species (Shrikes) than all of the oil industry combined.

But whatever, it's all Trump's fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
len wrote:

I'm wondering if this is a remark on the Trump administration or just the last few decades in general? Because in the sportsmen community (aka conservationists) the Zinke announcement the other day was pretty good for wildlife.

Urban/suburban sprawl has destroyed more wildlife habitat than allowing a few drillpads out in the middle of nowhere.

Not to mention...Obama's Ivanpah solar array has killed (burnt alive) more endangered species (Shrikes) than all of the oil industry combined.

I'd like to add industrial scale farming to the list of things killing wildlife. Sure when the crop is growing it is a full section of green, but come winter time it looks like a frozen barren wasteland from Hoth. Fence post to fence post of corn and beans, none of it real food... All destined for ethanol and cheetos and soda.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:

Remember when the day after Obama was elected people were lined up around the block to buys guns because they were sure that Obama was going to take them away. Maybe a lot of people bought a shit ton of guns and now they have plenty and with Trump in office they aren't afraid of the government taking them away.

So maybe it is Trump's fault. No fear that next week gun x will be banned so you better get it now...

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gun industry will come back. Trump will be out on his ear soon and the Dems will dominate government. The Dems will start talking gun control and everyone will head to a gun store.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Trump killing the gun market [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
The gun industry will come back. Trump will be out on his ear soon and the Dems will dominate government. The Dems will start talking gun control and everyone will head to a gun store.

Just means you gotta stock up on 22LR this summer! Or buy 22LR futures due in December.
Quote Reply