Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OAR
Quote | Reply
mind if i complain?

i'm kind of offended at this Olympic Athletes from Russia thing. it was crystal clear that russia systematically, as a country, from the top, conspired in the most blatant and naked way, to cheat the rest of the world's athletes out of their medals.

yes, russian athletes were in many cases innocent victims. but russian athletes are also, in many, perhaps most, perhaps almost all, cases participants in the doping.

is there no punishment for this? i don't see how OAR is a punishment. i see it as a reward.

why the IOC is allowing NBC to even use the terms "russia" or "russian" in the telecast is weak. if they're simply athletes competing under the olympic flag - which, by itself is weak - then they ought to be OFA: Olympic Flag Athletes. or some such thing.

this letting russia basically get a pass for the most blatant, systematic state sponsored doping, perhaps exceeding even east german doping of the 1980s, has lessened my interest in the 2018 games. if i was korea i'd be pretty pissed at this. as a non-russian, anybody-but-a-russian, i'm pissed at this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This bothers me, but then I think of a lot of the figure skaters, and curlers etc that aren’t doping and should we really punish them? Ugh...I’m torn on this...
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Feb 12, 18 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that band
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
This bothers me, but then I think of a lot of the figure skaters, and curlers etc that aren’t doping and should we really punish them? Ugh...I’m torn on this...

we punish the 3 clean members of a 4 member relay team when 1 dopes. yes, it sucks. i don't see any reason why russia would change its behavior unless it becomes an international pariah.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren’t you convinced that the IOC, like the UCI or any professional governing body (NBA, NFL), would really not bother with the PED problem?
I am enjoying the Olympics, but take all high level sports with skepticism. Thank you Lance! Kevin!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mind if i complain?

i'm kind of offended at this Olympic Athletes from Russia thing. it was crystal clear that russia systematically, as a country, from the top, conspired in the most blatant and naked way, to cheat the rest of the world's athletes out of their medals.

yes, russian athletes were in many cases innocent victims. but russian athletes are also, in many, perhaps most, perhaps almost all, cases participants in the doping.

is there no punishment for this? i don't see how OAR is a punishment. i see it as a reward.

why the IOC is allowing NBC to even use the terms "russia" or "russian" in the telecast is weak. if they're simply athletes competing under the olympic flag - which, by itself is weak - then they ought to be OFA: Olympic Flag Athletes. or some such thing.

this letting russia basically get a pass for the most blatant, systematic state sponsored doping, perhaps exceeding even east german doping of the 1980s, has lessened my interest in the 2018 games. if i was korea i'd be pretty pissed at this. as a non-russian, anybody-but-a-russian, i'm pissed at this.

Distinction,

Didn’t the IOC ban them and a three panel judges from the CAS overturn that?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree this hasn’t changed anything from the announcing. It’s like they’re their own team just without the Russian flag.

I equally don’t get how two Americans that have lived here their whole life, are considered the first Nigerian Bobsledders. I have no problem with people competing for their parents country or another country you have citizenship at with. However, this isn’t a home grown bobsled team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Olympic is a scam.. I am not watching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mind if i complain?

I agree. It's a joke.

I believe that CAS also overturned most of the band the stemmed from the state sponsored doping investigation. Only a small number of athletes had their bans sustained.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its all just a big ponzi scheme anyways dan - just cash the cheques (metaphorically)......we're all going to die soon anyways
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but yes - its fu$ckng stupid

i feel like theire fans in the crowd are revelling in it and being the most boisterous of anyone.
I cant wait for the hockey- I dont even care if we (Canada) win - as long as OAR looses I'm happy.
I'm actually a little let down by ovvie's vocal support of puttin lately as well....for some reason i thought he was better than that? hmmm whatever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. 169 Russian Athletes have been allowed to compete in PyeongChang. That's only 8 fewer than the Russians sent to Vancouver in 2010. (They had 235 athletes at Sochi, but the host nation gets some qualification dispensations and, therefore, typically has larger contingent than they would had they not hosted). The stands at many venues are filled with Russian citizens in Russian colors waving Russian flags cheering for their comrades. What really gets me is that they're still allowing team sports & relays. You ban Russia, but then let their entire hockey team compete under the "OAR" banner? WTF.

What appeared, at first, to be a bold action has turned into something considerably less; little more than a slap on the wrist, in fact.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 12, 18 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Aren’t you convinced that the IOC, like the UCI or any professional governing body (NBA, NFL), would really not bother with the PED problem?
I am enjoying the Olympics, but take all high level sports with skepticism. Thank you Lance! Kevin!

Exactly! Especially since no one was doping prior to them...
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Karl wrote:

Exactly! Especially since no one was doping prior to them...

hey - take that cr@p to the comment section of RT
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [linkslefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linkslefty wrote:
Love that band

Glad I want the only one who was thinking that when I read the title

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

we punish the 3 clean members of a 4 member relay team when 1 dopes. yes, it sucks. i don't see any reason why russia would change its behavior unless it becomes an international pariah.

I don’t really understand why Russia does this in the first place... but I don’t think it’s reasonable to punish clean athletes because of the behavior of their country.

I’d prefer just ‘Olympic Athlete’ but it’s somewhat arbitrary given most are going to be from Russia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone think this is anything other than Putin flexing and the CAS/IOC cowering?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bigger issue is that it's more about officials than athletes. It's comments games and many officials are doing well but only few athletes.
I think IOC is a Scam and that's an even bigger problem than drugs ( which is obviously very big but it's not about nations is more about athletes as nations and athlete conjunction is way overrated. Iam totally ok if an Russian athlete that is less suspicious than the others are racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, the whole OAR thing is a total cop-out.

If they had made them compete under the Independent Olympic Athlete designation that already exists(!) it might have had some vague impact, but just renaming the Russian Federation to OAR is completely pointless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympic athletes from Russia. It like saying Russian athletes have the Olympic seal of approval. Total opposite of what it should be. I agree. It should be something like unattached Olympic athletes. UOA.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

Me too. I don't know the total number of athletes who wouldn't be benefiting from PED's but I can't believe it's more than a few dozen.

But any sport that differentiates by: Speed, endurance or strength - sorry, but, those athletes (bye, bye). That leaves only the pure "skill" sports like curlers, ski jumpers,???

and, yeah. I'd be super pissed if I were a speed skater, or XC skier, etc.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am betting that Russia bribed the officials enough to allow the OARs in. It would have been too obvious to let Russia in still, so this was the next best thing they could do.
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite plausible

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't read the full thread, but I was telling my wife my thoughts on it the other day.

I don't have a problem with Russian athletes at the games, however they should be on team "Olympic orphans" not some shadow if Russia.

If they have cleared the whole, never caught doping and thus shouldn't have received a ban, then they should be at the games.

There should be no Russians competing in team events other than Team Olympic Orphans which cannot be comprised of only Russian athletes. Otherwise it is just a turd called another name.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next