Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax
Quote | Reply
I have a older P2 ca 2012 with all stock components and am looking on some upgrades this season.
However being a student, I am on a tight budget and realistically only have about 1500$ to spend.
I am currently considering two options, either upgrading my P2 with perhaps Aduro cockpit and Magura or Tririg brakes and getting some decent second hand race wheels, or picking up a new Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0
So to my question, what is the best alternative, P2 or Canyon? I know the P2 is fast, and with a cleaner cockpit it will be even faster. Don't mind that it is a few years old.
I found some threads on people who have upgraded their P2s in a similar way and it looks pretty awesome.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely upgrade. Just not Aduro - the lack of bar adjustment can limit getting into your best position.
Brake upgrades are pretty low on the speed per dollar list so I'd wait on that front
bars and wheels are the only things that really hold the stock P2 (even the old one) back from being close to the top options
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay that's kind of what I thought, do you have any other recommendations regarding cockpit then? Tririg seems great but costs a lot which would leave me with only 500 for wheels which will be tough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with bars is that we're currently having a bit of a revolution - bars are getting much more adjustable without losing aero. The previous generation a lot less adjustable - which isn't great for position optimisation. And there still isn't anything in the mid price point - it's either clip ons or up to the top end.

Your best chance of getting decent value might be to hunt for used Zipp Vuka Stealth as they have pretty decent adjustment (a little bit complicated for some aspects), with good aero. They were around for a few years so you may get a good deal somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like the Zipp vulka are around 6-700 if I’m not mistaken, almost seems worth it to get the tririg then instead. 1000$ with omega brakes seems quite good in comparison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You kind of should know what you need and should be able to pick up a second hand bar that will work there is also you can do for 150 on eBay if you are a bit creative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with the upgrade but keep in mind, wheel choices will be more limited with that older P2 model (the newer, wider rims probably won’t fit)
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah 23mm barely fits, kind of sucks but I suppose the cheaper older wheels are gonna be slim anyway

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a used 2012 P2 and was wondering about upgrading the wheels and what width would work. I know everyone talks about the Hed Jet+ wheelset but those are 25mm wide so maybe too much for the older P2???

If anyone has any info on what race wheels work with these older model P2s, I would love to hear it.

As to the OP's question, I upgraded the P2 with a set of Hed Corsairs that I got real cheap and next up if a Tririg front brake and wheels. After that, I'll be content for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay so I managed to get a bit lucky with some pickups and got a pro missile bar and a pro disc wheel for 340$. What should be next on my upgrading list, getting a omega x front brake or some other upgrade? I have pretty simple shoes with velcro straps, so maybe giro empire and some laces will be better than a new front brake?

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
I just bought a used 2012 P2 and was wondering about upgrading the wheels and what width would work. I know everyone talks about the Hed Jet+ wheelset but those are 25mm wide so maybe too much for the older P2???

If anyone has any info on what race wheels work with these older model P2s, I would love to hear it.

As to the OP's question, I upgraded the P2 with a set of Hed Corsairs that I got real cheap and next up if a Tririg front brake and wheels. After that, I'll be content for awhile.

I have 2012 P2 and use FLO disc on the rear with 23mm GP 4000s II. tires as they suggest.

I tried the FLO 90 up front it fits fine but even with zero wind I feel so unstable I can’t use it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking to do similar upgrades to my p2, where did you find such a sweet deal on the bar and disc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a student...spend your money to travel somwhere and do a training camp or race somewhere cool. You will have these memories for life. Getting a better bike, you will have a revolving door of those through your athletic life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I have a older P2 ca 2012 with all stock components and am looking on some upgrades this season.
However being a student, I am on a tight budget and realistically only have about 1500$ to spend.
I am currently considering two options, either upgrading my P2 with perhaps Aduro cockpit and Magura or Tririg brakes and getting some decent second hand race wheels, or picking up a new Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0
So to my question, what is the best alternative, P2 or Canyon? I know the P2 is fast, and with a cleaner cockpit it will be even faster. Don't mind that it is a few years old.
I found some threads on people who have upgraded their P2s in a similar way and it looks pretty awesome.

I’ll go with option C.
Put that money into paying your credit cards or put it into an emergency fund/IRA.
I doubt you will be more than 1-2 min faster no matter what you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got lucky on the local buy/sell group on facebook, every now and then a good deal comes along. I even paid twice what the seller asked for the pro missile bar as he had no idea of value.

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is of course my priority, and am going to zoncolan to do a froome later this year and doing IM SA in hopes of a kq and going on safari.

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t have any credit cards, and while i have a bit of student loans, I’d rather not pay them off immediately as the interest rate is 0,13%. As for savings i have a good amount and am saving a lot more than I’m spending on my bike.
I’m working on my dissertation and just secured a job post grad, so looking to get something for myself amd those 1-2 min are looking pretty good right now ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Don’t have any credit cards, and while i have a bit of student loans, I’d rather not pay them off immediately as the interest rate is 0,13%. As for savings i have a good amount and am saving a lot more than I’m spending on my bike.
I’m working on my dissertation and just secured a job post grad, so looking to get something for myself amd those 1-2 min are looking pretty good right now ;)

Great job. I’ll vote for a tririg cockpit.

Just saw u have pro missile cockpit. I changed my mind. Just save the money.
Last edited by: KingMidas: Jun 25, 18 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha thanks, I actually think I'll save it, may need it for Kona ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can save some $ and skip the tririg brake. Get the Vision Trimax aero brake. 1w slower at most yaw angles and < 1w at a very common yaw angle. Best of all only 40% of the price.

In fact I have 1 to sell if you're interested and I'll include the wind tunnel data vs the tririg brake. Pm if interested

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 or buy Speedmax [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I upgraded my P2 over the past winter.
I added a set of Zipp 808s I got a steal on from a local friend, and have really enjoyed them
even in the crosswinds of Nebraska where I live. I've considered an ENVE upgrade through
a team discount but also am skeptical that the new rims would clear the seat stays.

This spring so far:
Changed the cockpit to a 3T Brezza Team II with a Zipp SL Sprint Stem
Snagged the bars through the classifieds here and the stem new through
a shop while travelling.

Check your ideal fit and shop around!

I've also considered a Canyon in the future, but for now it's training and gym work to get that speed.

Quote Reply