Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympics opening ceremony
Quote | Reply
Too much talking. Closeups are nice, but makes it unable to see what they are doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I’m going to go out on a limb and make a wild prediction that, yet again, NBC will do their best to ruin the Olympic viewing experience.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to post about the Olympics. NBC and their commercials aside I love the Olympics. Always a sports highlight when they’re on. Most of my buddies wanted to be pro baseball, football or what have you. I always said I wanted to go to the Olympics. Got to watch a few friends compete years ago. This is the best to me.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we have an Olympic hottie thread or it is banned?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [keepriding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepriding wrote:

Of course! The LR isn't North Korea ...

... yet ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [keepriding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepriding wrote:

Canada is as worthless as tits on a bull. But, as for their womens curling team, I'd hit it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weak sauce , Netherlands !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we are going to derail this thread , what’s rocket boy thinking right now?

Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US ice dancer Maia Shibutani

US ice dancer Madison Chock.

US downhill skier Mikaela Shiffrin

Swiss downhill skier Lara Gut

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swiss now winning

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awful. I hope that NBC edited out some cultural and/or interesting bits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
This is awful. I hope that NBC edited out some cultural and/or interesting bits.
Why do you say that ? Outside an awkward speach I think it’s awesome. The drones are cool as hell.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Yeah. I’m going to go out on a limb and make a wild prediction that, yet again, NBC will do their best to ruin the Olympic viewing experience.

NBC sure did their best to ruin the opening ceremonies. Tirico and Couric were terrible. They are trying hard to inject politics into an event that isn't about politics. Awful!

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drones cool, but that whole scene and the one before with kids was all pretaped and CGI.

The K-Pop version of Imagine was awesome though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South Korea vs. DPRK in enduro stair climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
slowguy wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/

Yup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jessie Diggins XC Skiing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Was there ever any doubt?

I tried to stream CBC, but my VPN couldn't figure it out. Growing up watching Windsor CBC made NBC even worse ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts:
-They had to hit on the North-South political strife but I think should have limited how much political talk there was, and more importantly should've highlighted the principles of the Olympics and how it's the one time every country can and should put aside their differences to celebrate sports. NBC did a terrible job recognizing this fact, I can remember countless instances of past Olympics and the broadcasts simply highlighting that politics have no place there and giving kudos to the countries for putting aside differences for these two weeks.
-STOP TALKING! With three people in the booth it seemed they just passed the baton and read their cue cards over the entirety of the opening ceremonies. Let us WATCH and ENJOY without commentary, please! I don't need to be spoon-fed cultural significance of every last act to appreciate the artistry and music.
-Loved the aerial shots that showed the lit-up ski slopes, especially with the fireworks going off that made for a beautiful scene
-Hi Lindsey Vonn. Oh hello again. you again? Still on Lindsey? I get that she's the biggest household name but we don't need to check in with her every two minutes, in fact I'd rather you show some of the lesser-known Olympians, give them a sliver of the spotlight.
-I was terrified for the women climbing the stairs...that looked steep, with no handrails, no harnesses, they were both holding the torch. There had to have been a better way to do that right? Similarly, the figure skater...let's say she has a tiny little slip, she'd fly over the edge and this is a DISASTER. Maybe I missed it but a simple glass railing might have helped.
-Anyone else bummed they didn't flip to some competition once the Opening Ceremonies were over? I mostly enjoyed them, but I'm watching to see some good competition and it seems like at 11pm on a Friday night they could've just showed some of the Thursday competitions to kick things off...missed opportunity imo.
-All in all a good show put on by South Korea, seemed like a real nice event and I keep hearing that they've been fantastic as a host country without breaking the bank (relatively speaking) like games past (Beijing, Sochi and London come to mind as incredibly expensive Games and Opening Ceremonies).
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
-Hi Lindsey Vonn. Oh hello again. you again? Still on Lindsey? I get that she's the biggest household name but we don't need to check in with her every two minutes, in fact I'd rather you show some of the lesser-known Olympians, give them a sliver of the spotlight.
They did show Shaun White once or twice (or maybe a few dozen times).

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
-STOP TALKING! With three people in the booth it seemed they just passed the baton and read their cue cards over the entirety of the opening ceremonies. Let us WATCH and ENJOY without commentary, please! I don't need to be spoon-fed cultural significance of every last act to appreciate the artistry and music.

This. I'm a guy that listens to podcasts and watches documentaries all day long. But, somehow that opening ceremony data dump was the most insufferable and unwatchable spectacle I've been exposed to in a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another curler from Canada.

Quote Reply
Re: Olympics opening ceremony [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else notice the Estonian flag bearer? My jaw would've dropped if I hadn't been sitting next to my wife, instead I just googled her afterward :)

Saskia Alusalu

Quote Reply

Prev Next