Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA Build [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah...I forgot you are doing the ultra frame. Yeah, that must be elegantly solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Tried to instal the slim dust free cover but mechanic was not happy with that one since it left some of the bearings exposed.
Just FYI, even if some of the bearing is exposed, it shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't doing every ride in the forest of Ardennes during rainy season. In some cases, riders forego dust covers all together, in order to hit their fit needs. Guys like Craig Alexander who put in more miles than most of us would care to dream of. If you do any regular maintenance on your bike, you'll never have a problem.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Tried to instal the slim dust free cover but mechanic was not happy with that one since it left some of the bearings exposed.

Just FYI, even if some of the bearing is exposed, it shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't doing every ride in the forest of Ardennes during rainy season. In some cases, riders forego dust covers all together, in order to hit their fit needs. Guys like Craig Alexander who put in more miles than most of us would care to dream of. If you do any regular maintenance on your bike, you'll never have a problem.

My LBS does most of my maintenance, but I don't feel like replacing bearings every 6 months, no thank you. Not finding fit amazing yet with the Alpha X, but I do really like the bar and will work with it to get a ideal fit. Back up option still Felt Dagger stem and Zipp bar.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Feb 9, 18 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it’s worth, I’ve never once heard of a customer needing a bearing replacement while using our ultra-low dust covers. And we have shipped quite a few of them (with Alpha X, with Sigma X, and as separate purchases).

By regular maintenance, I mean things like cleaning/regreasing your bearings once a year. Not replacing them.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Feb 9, 18 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in ATX, much of the year is hot and very humid, and there is an absolute ton of sweat the drops onto the stem area on a 5 hour ride, of which we do every weekend. That much sweat will cause severe degradation of any exposed bearing system.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit 'council', I know, but last season I just cut a strip of black gaffa tape down and stuck that around the top of the front brake fairing, which covered that gap nicely.
Now removed the tririg Alpha X and returned to the OE cockpit ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a design flow, I was leaning towards getting the bar but exposed bearings? What’s your main issues with fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Sounds like a design flow, I was leaning towards getting the bar but exposed bearings?

Our Ultra-Low Dust Covers have a shallow wrap on the side. They will always cover the TOP of the bearing, which is where the seals are, and where you really want to protect against contaminants. Depending on how much of your bearing protrudes from the head tube, our Ultra-Low Dust Cover may cover most of the side of the bearing, or leave 1-2mm visible. This shouldn't ever significantly affect your bearing performance.

Again, we have NEVER heard of a bearing compromised due to the use of our Ultra-Low Dust Cover. I think the issue is misunderstood in this thread.

We deliberately designed the cover with its current amount of side wrap, in order to ensure that the cover would work for the widest possible variety of bikes.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Feb 10, 18 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the 54 frame I needed to get lower and little longer. Have 3 options: move to a size 51 (reach becomes little bit of issues), Tri Rig bar and stem, or Felt Dagger stem with zipp bar. The zipp/Dagger is looking like the cleanest and easiest set up. Working with shop now to 3d print a wedge to fit where there is a gap from bar to break cover. If I can’t correct issue will go back to Dagger/Zipp combo.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm playing catchup... so you're showing us a Felt IA with TriRig bars but you now need a place to hang the beard from right? Or does the beard "stand" on the brake cover? The gap is not all that horrible IMO.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBS (AustinTriCyclist) got the dust cap where it covered all the bearings. Dropped bars as much as they could. still this small gap, its not bad. Next step is 3D printing this part to fill in rest of gap. I could easily put some black duct tape there as well, ghetto style. Tin foil maybe, Gerlach style? I do like the bars, myself and Brandon Marsh spent a long time fiddling with the bar yesterday trying to get the tilt adapter right, but finally got everything to fit together. When you place it with water bottle bracket it covered the place we put the blimp box, so need to find a place for that now.

Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Feb 11, 18 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ok so almost finished, only thing left is finding a spot for blip box.
Fit courtesy of Brandon Marsh in Austin Tx, along with contributions from some great guys here on ST: Goal was to copy fit from Trek SC and get my hands a little higher then they where. Still might move pads forward a few mm and seat down a few mm.
Built courtesy of AustinTriCyles in Austin Tx.
Final weight: 18.14lbs

Parts:
TriRig front end with 3D printed insert from ATC
Sram Etap with Rotor 53/39 rings 165 cranks 11-26 rear cassette
Zipp Evo 110 Extension (still hoping to get my hands on Matt 51 speed shop extensions)
Enve 7.8 wheels with custom team decals
SLF RD OS Pulleys
Quarq D-Zero Power Meter

Thank you for all the people here that helped contribute to this build and helped with the finding the right size frame.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've followed this build and I think it's incredible. Where did you end up putting your blip box?
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [derailleur'd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
derailleur'd wrote:
I've followed this build and I think it's incredible. Where did you end up putting your blip box?
Thank you.

its in the calpac

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am installing the alpha one. I was curious if anyone has figured out about the front cover and if I take of the tabs.. how to mount
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willing to do it again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can I get parts for my felt ia frd triathlon bike 2015 frame! Need the stem ! STEM IA 31.8
Felt doesn’t have crap not even in Europe! Send more than 6 e-mails to felt distributor parts not even one answer! Did they go bankrupt?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [Tria2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are some of the reasons I don’t ride a felt anymore

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tria2 wrote:
Where can I get parts for my felt ia frd triathlon bike 2015 frame! Need the stem ! STEM IA 31.8
Felt doesn’t have crap not even in Europe! Send more than 6 e-mails to felt distributor parts not even one answer! Did they go bankrupt?
Try to hit up that shop, great distributor (but in Europe)
https://edelrad.de/

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need the stock stem? I’ve got one if so. Send me a PM. I just built my IA16 and swapped the stem for a Dagger 110, and I’m definitely not going to need the stock 90mm/6 degree stem.

ETA: sorry, just noticed you said IA FRD. Mines from an IA16. Not an integrated stem.
Last edited by: jeremyebrock: Feb 16, 20 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks anyway! Need stem for felt IA FRD- 2015 bike!! Also seatpost felt IA FRD!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Building out my IA Disc. Size 48, I'm 4'11" and the seatpost runs into the internal water bottle holder hardware on the seat tube before getting it to the right saddle height for me. Damn my short legs. Anyone attempt to cut the seattube. I would have to cut it into the slot.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0021/5701/9254/products/BW0A228_seapost_IA_2048x.jpg?v=1585343773
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [GetOutsideNow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GetOutsideNow wrote:
Building out my IA Disc. Size 48, I'm 4'11" and the seatpost runs into the internal water bottle holder hardware on the seat tube before getting it to the right saddle height for me. Damn my short legs. Anyone attempt to cut the seattube. I would have to cut it into the slot.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0021/5701/9254/products/BW0A228_seapost_IA_2048x.jpg?v=1585343773

Bumping so I can find out as well.

I don't see a reason you couldn't cut it but I don't own that bike so I don't know for sure

I was looking at a Felt IA Advanced because of it's lower stack. I ran across this thread looking to see if I can put an aftermarket stem on it to get the front end lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you still in need of the Dagger stem for the FRD? Send me a PM, I have one available that's never been used
Quote Reply

Prev Next