Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Cloverfield Paradox
Quote | Reply
If you like the two movies, watch this on Netflix. It is a prequel and explains the origins of the creatures. Very well done.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
If you like the two movies, watch this on Netflix. It is a prequel and explains the origins of the creatures. Very well done.

I saw Cloverfield Lane knowing nothing about it, literally nothing. I was engrossed, thinking pretty well done, not great but a pretty good movie...

then there were fucking aliens, and it became this weird, campy sci fi movie for the last 10 minutes.

It was as if they spliced together two unrelated films.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Kind of like From Dusk till Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

I saw Cloverfield Lane knowing nothing about it, literally nothing. I was engrossed, thinking pretty well done, not great but a pretty good movie...

then there were fucking aliens, and it became this weird, campy sci fi movie for the last 10 minutes.

I can see that, if were not aware of the Cloverfield franchise.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was excited when I saw the trailer. Unfortunately it's getting horrible reviews.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I was excited when I saw the trailer. Unfortunately it's getting horrible reviews.

Really? It wasn't earth-shattering, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and thought the acting was good. Was stunned by the budget. I would put it on par with most movies on the big screen from a technical point of view.

Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:

I just watched about half of it during my lunch hour... it feels like someone decided to attempt an "Event Horizon"-type reboot then got the idea to tie it to the first Cloverfield movie as an afterthought.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed it. The acting was very good & when it had humor it was very funny. If it seemed like the movie was serving two masters, it was. One was to tell an interesting story (which it did) and to connect the Cloverfield movies together (which it did as a prequel of sorts).

Think of it like the original Planet of the Apes (though granted that first movie did deep into its origins a little bit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

That movie did not start out as a Cloverfield movie. They changed direction partway through production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just watched it on Netflix and I thought it was a mess, wasn't sure if it was supposed to be funny or just real bad philosophy, or what. I did make it through the whole thing, which I can't say about JT's half time performance during SB.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

That movie did not start out as a Cloverfield movie. They changed direction partway through production.

It seemed liked they made a movie with all but the ending, and then someone else made a 10 minute short film to stick on the end of it. Totally incongruous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Perseus wrote:

I just watched about half of it during my lunch hour... it feels like someone decided to attempt an "Event Horizon"-type reboot then got the idea to tie it to the first Cloverfield movie as an afterthought.

Finished the rest of it last night.. what a pile of shite.

I particularly liked how Irish Bridesmaids Cop guy lost his arm and wasn't only over it in a few minutes, but making jokes about it when they found it a little while later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering whether you guys aren't just parroting what you have heard/read from the critics.

It was a "free" movie on Netflix. It had a great cast. Special effects were not low budget. It was a $40M film.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I'm wondering whether you guys aren't just parroting what you have heard/read from the critics.

It was a "free" movie on Netflix. It had a great cast. Special effects were not low budget. It was a $40M film.

What are your thoughts on Waterworld?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

It seemed liked they made a movie with all but the ending, and then someone else made a 10 minute short film to stick on the end of it. Totally incongruous.

That actually isn't far from the truth about what happened.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/...lane-movie-marketing

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
JSA wrote:

Too long. It was Kevin Costner with gills just like we saw Kevin Costner in a cowboy hat, Kevin Costner as a postal carrier, Kevin Costner as a Treasury Agent, Kevin Costner as a civil war soldier. Kevin Costner is one of those actors who you never believe as a character. It is just Kevin Costner being Kevin Costner.

This movie had a great cast who made something out of average writing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
JSA wrote:

Too long. It was Kevin Costner with gills just like we saw Kevin Costner in a cowboy hat, Kevin Costner as a postal carrier, Kevin Costner as a Treasury Agent, Kevin Costner as a civil war soldier. Kevin Costner is one of those actors who you never believe as a character. It is just Kevin Costner being Kevin Costner.

Never been a big fan of Costner but check out Mr. Brooks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

My wife loved the first 2 Cloverfield movies. I thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was really good. She mentioned to me the other day something about the Paradox having budget issues and not being released yet but a rumored trailer was dropping during the SB. She was already geeked out. When the trailer dropped, it was the only time she paid attention during the SB.

We both watched it the next night and thought it was pretty bad (and no I didn't have to pause the movie at any point). I felt like they laid out the premise of the entire movie in the first 15 minutes and then it was weak afterwards. Cast was ok at best. I didn't think there was a great performance and too many annoying storylines/weak characters. For me, the storylines were really nonsequiter.

One might wonder (I don't) why it wasn't released to theaters and netflix bought it at the last minute, presumably as is. Maybe because it wasn't a good movie. Netflix can make money offering it as a 'free' movie. It would have tanked in the theaters.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no question about it. It was dumped on Netflix because it was not good enough for the theaters. They spent $40M making this movie. They could have easily spent another $20M on marketing. Instead, they dump it on Netflix. Other than the SB ad, there are no marketing expenses.

Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awful film where’s the queue for the refund?

Script: terrible
Acting: embarrassing
Plot: childlike
Link to Cloverfield: token

The solution to finding yourself in an (not “the”, an) alternate reality: “Everything we know about quantum entanglement dictates that if we do it again we will get home”.

Quantum entanglement. Like a return ticket. Makes sense. Clue’s in the name.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea on what the Netflix model is for buying films? E.g. do they buy the rights for a period for a one-off fee, or do they pay royalties every time it's streamed/downloaded? Be interested to understand how much the film producers will be able to claw back from that $40m investment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

I watched it. I now understand why it stayed in development -- from 2012 until its release Sunday -- for so long. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I need to watch the other 2 movies first before I watch this.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Not in the slightest. All 3 seem entirely unrelated.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
mattr wrote:

Not in the slightest. All 3 seem entirely unrelated.

that's actually not correct. for all its faults Paradox provides the link for all three movies
Quote Reply

Prev Next