• STAGE 7, FRI 9TH FEB: THE CHORES
  • STAGE 8, SAT 10TH FEB: BUTTER + THIN AIR
  • STAGE 9, SUN 11TH FEB: KITCHEN SINK

Happy Suffering!

Last edited by: kppolich: Jan 3, 18 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, I was wondering when the schedule was going to come out.

Do you know where I can find more information about each stage like time, IF, TSS, and profile? I have several of the older Sufferfest videos like The Rookie and Power Station, plus they're still available through TrainerRoad, so it's easy to know what you're getting into but I think the newer videos are only available through the Sufferfest App, right? I'll be signing up for their app for the tour and should be able to see everything then, but if you know where I can find the IF and TSS info that would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

• STAGE 1, SAT 3RD FEB: WHO DARES + THE ROOKIE ( WD 54Min, 70 TSS, .88IF ; TR 54Min, 76 TSS, .91 IF )
  • STAGE 2, SUN 4TH FEB: THE SHOVEL + POWER STATION ( TS 1:16 , 112 TSS, .94 IF ; PS 49 min, 61 TSS, .85 IF )
  • STAGE 3, MON 5TH FEB: GETTING AWAY WITH IT ( GAWI 47 Min, 78 TSS, .77 IF )
  • STAGE 4, TUES 6TH FEB: THE TRICK ( TT 59 Min, 73 TSS, .86 IF )
  • STAGE 5, WED 7TH FEB: FIGHT CLUB ( FC 59 min, 92 TSS, .97 IF )
  • STAGE 6, THURS 8TH FEB: DO AS YOU'RE TOLD ( DAYT 43 min, 55 TSS, .87 TSS)
  • STAGE 7, FRI 9TH FEB: THE CHORES ( TC 58 Min, 76 TSS, .88 IF )
  • STAGE 8, SAT 10TH FEB: BUTTER + THIN AIR ( B 59 Min, 74 TSS, .87 IF ; TA 1:01 , 88 TSS, .93 IF )
  • STAGE 9, SUN 11TH FEB: KITCHEN SINK ( TKS 3:00 , 223 TSS, .86 IF )

If my math is right - that is 799 minutes or just a bit over 13 hours - pretty good training block for Feb!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you do this I have a trainer road subscription. Can I fire it up via there?

Globes
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [Globus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How it works:
https://thesufferfest.com/pages/community-tour-of-sufferlandria
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch...
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:

• STAGE 1, SAT 3RD FEB: WHO DARES + THE ROOKIE ( WD 54Min, 70 TSS, .88IF ; TR 54Min, 76 TSS, .91 IF )
  • STAGE 2, SUN 4TH FEB: THE SHOVEL + POWER STATION ( TS 1:16 , 112 TSS, .94 IF ; PS 49 min, 61 TSS, .85 IF )
  • STAGE 3, MON 5TH FEB: GETTING AWAY WITH IT ( GAWI 47 Min, 78 TSS, .77 IF )
  • STAGE 4, TUES 6TH FEB: THE TRICK ( TT 59 Min, 73 TSS, .86 IF )
  • STAGE 5, WED 7TH FEB: FIGHT CLUB ( FC 59 min, 92 TSS, .97 IF )
  • STAGE 6, THURS 8TH FEB: DO AS YOU'RE TOLD ( DAYT 43 min, 55 TSS, .87 TSS)
  • STAGE 7, FRI 9TH FEB: THE CHORES ( TC 58 Min, 76 TSS, .88 IF )
  • STAGE 8, SAT 10TH FEB: BUTTER + THIN AIR ( B 59 Min, 74 TSS, .87 IF ; TA 1:01 , 88 TSS, .93 IF )
  • STAGE 9, SUN 11TH FEB: KITCHEN SINK ( TKS 3:00 , 223 TSS, .86 IF )

If my math is right - that is 799 minutes or just a bit over 13 hours - pretty good training block for Feb!

13 hours and a total of 1078 TSS with all but one ride at .85 or above – pretty good February training block for sure!

I know I'll get called out for being soft, but I have a couple questions for people who have done this before:
Do you typically dial down the intensity a bit or go full out for all 9 days to try to hit the power targets as they are? I'll be on a smart trainer, so there's nowhere to hide...
Do most of you maintain a similar run/swim schedule while doing the TOS? I've been following the BarryP program but am pretty sure I'd want to cut back a bit with the increase in trainer time.

I can't tell if this is a great idea for February or a horrible idea. Or maybe both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weekends on this ( Stages 1,2,8 & 9 ) are proper suffering as you might expect for a Tour of Sufferland - but the Monday to Friday sessions are all under an hour. If you're worried about your swim form falling apart or losing an edge on your run - there is time to put in some other workouts, but this is a good training block and I wouldn't worry about the others too much unless you have an upcoming race - in which case ToS may not be the best idea.

It's really a 10 hr / week pace that includes the 2 weekends - much less than that and you could move to Couchland.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, you're soft for even thinking of dialing down the intensity. :) I've been able to do the 2016 and 2017 ToS at full FTP, but only with some short periods of backpedaling to recover. Some of these stages are pretty tough alone, then a few are doubled up and the overall approach of 9 stages in 9 days...well... Let's just say that I reviewed my training load for 2017 a couple of nights ago, prepping for 2018. My training load was highest during the ToS. So maybe that makes *me* soft during the rest of the season...
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 time ToS finisher here. Never dialed it back Run what ya brung. But Jesus that last day looks awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kitchen sink is epic and hurts so good!
Gonna be my first ToS, fits my cycling block perfectly!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't look so hard

Oh, i have to do ALL of them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much gonna race myself into shape doing the ToS this year. Haven't been training very hard, mostly just riding along.
Also, little reason to train indoors in SoCal. 6 more weeks of winter just mean 6 more weeks of 80 degrees.
Did Stage 1 at 80% and plan to do the same for Stage 2. Then, 3-7 at 100%. The level for 8 and 9 will depend upon how the week goes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stage 1, here we go. Who else is in?

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stage 1 done, only 8 more to go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So much threshold.. this is gonna be a hard week

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stage 1 down.

The video froze on me about half way in, but thankfully the timer, cadence/power prompts, and ERG mode still worked fine. I just queued up some Super League on YouTube and finished out watching that. Anyone else ever had the video freeze through the app?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Just finished Stage 1. Hard, not awful, but awful is coming...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stage 1 down.

Thank f**k i have the excuse of working away all week so don't have to do the whole tour :)

Sufferfest is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this lad did it last year age 8. Doing it again 2018. I'm running out of my flimsy excuses..

https://my.davisphinneyfoundation.org/fundraiser/1238950
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far, so good. Heading down for stage 2 soon

I love how The Sufferfest makes me believe I'm sitting in a World Tour breakaway at ~ 90% of my old man FTP. :-) Dropping Jens took not quite 300 watts for a minute or two...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will check that out. thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Failed Stage 1 after 95 mins. Just couldn't hang with the final 10mins. Time to dial back from 100% FTP for stage 2
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two stages in the books not too bad yet. In much better shape only eating once per day dropping weight I didn’t need.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tour of Sufferlandria [ironcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stage 2 started OK and I got the shovel done at 100% FTP and no real defects. But the last 3-4 climbs in power station required some backpedaling and lots of cursing. I think that this is more of a muscular endurance thing - I haven't done many 2 hr rides in ages. Not, repeat NOT, looking forward to the kitchen sink next week. It will require less than 100% FTP and/or a break over the 3 hr ride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next