Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
My air Relax came in today and of course I plopped right down to give them a try on.

After 30 minutes (15 on mode A, 15 on mode B) I hopped out. Unlike some that feel an immediate "my legs feel great" sensation...I didn't have that. But I also wasn't expecting to. This is a process, and as long as it works...the benefits will be reaped over a greater period of time.

T

did you even do some strenuous exercise first ?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:

Other than currently being in my training block for St.G 70.3 for the past month, no. But will try after tonight’s interval run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
My air Relax came in today and of course I plopped right down to give them a try on.

Super easy to set up. Literally a "plug and play". Got the longest version and for my 5' 11.75", 32-34" inseam...they are a little long. Not too long, but the next size down would have probably worked. I do like that they come all the way up though! Started with Level 1...and it really just felt like the inflation was happening, but didn't really feel much on the legs, and really at that pressure, I guess there isn't supposed to be a lot of pressure. Went to Level 2, and definitely feel it better there. Not super tight, but tight. Tried out Level 3....and that might be made for small legged people. Got one chamber to inflate and I turned it off. That was...TIGHT. Uncomfortable tight. I can't even imagine what Level 4 feels like.

After 30 minutes (15 on mode A, 15 on mode B) I hopped out. Unlike some that feel an immediate "my legs feel great" sensation...I didn't have that. But I also wasn't expecting to. This is a process, and as long as it works...the benefits will be reaped over a greater period of time.

The carrying case: is nice. Easy to fit into, and easy to carry and very well made.

I'd like to thank you all on this thread for your contribution. My 40 year old body thanks you!

Yes, I can't handle anything more than 2 usually on the boots. Air Relax by design is a FDA medical device and they go as high as 240 mmhg. On the contrary the max on Normatec is 100 mmhg. Higher is not necessarily better but you should never go higher than it hurts. On Normatec I am usually 5-7 kind of guy, although the other day, even 4 was a stretch... It had been a while.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

Other than currently being in my training block for St.G 70.3 for the past month, no. But will try after tonight’s interval run.

It should not matter whether you are doing exercise. If you do a really hard and long run and it is hot humid or your are sitting in car for 12 hours then the response will be a little different for sure than say easy days, but you don't need to do strenuous exercise to see the benefit. They are made for anyone with fluid and mostly those patients don't even exercise and have issues like diabetes.

However, you should notice it gets tighter as the 15 minutes continues. Regardless, I am more of a believer in the continued use of boots. My first experience with boots was Recovery Pump (many many moons ago) and I didn't like them because there was too much pressure and that is just how the reps set them up. Then it was a few years until Normatec again and the same issues with the reps just starting on 7. I have talked to Normatec about this now, I don't know if it was just my reps but it was multiple times, different reps. It wasn't until I was able to use them without the reps setting them that I really started to see the benefit as I found what works for me.

It really was starting slow, like level 3 on Normatec (Max 7). As I used them more frequently I could tolerate higher and higher levels. My roommate went to max every night, and I would have to turn them down after she was done to use them. However it was until after months that I started to really feel the benefits and realized I was excited to get into them at the end of the day. I was having fresher legs and I found I needed less warm up to get those minor aches and pains free pre-run. Consistent use is really the benefit, unless for vanity sake you want to get those skinnier legs back the day after Ironman. But it is another tool in the recovery tool box and there are many ways to use it, and certainly many different body types as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jan 30, 18 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
If you are using boots for how they "feel" that is the wrong the approach IMHO . It isn't how they feel it is what they DO that matters.

How do you measure what they do vs how they feel?

I'm trying to research these things, and so far there's really underwhelming evidence.

The only reason I'm researching them is I used them for a week at a cycling camp where I did ~500 miles in a week. Just used them because they were provided by the camp, and it was a good social thing to sit there and talk while in them. They felt great, and I got stronger every day of the week. But really hard to attach any hard evidence to the things.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

If you are using boots for how they "feel" that is the wrong the approach IMHO . It isn't how they feel it is what they DO that matters.

How do you measure what they do vs how they feel?

I'm trying to research these things, and so far there's really underwhelming evidence.

The only reason I'm researching them is I used them for a week at a cycling camp where I did ~500 miles in a week. Just used them because they were provided by the camp, and it was a good social thing to sit there and talk while in them. They felt great, and I got stronger every day of the week. But really hard to attach any hard evidence to the things.

At a high-level I measure it by being a minimalist and bringing them with everywhere I go. But realistically I see different use case and reasons to use them. At the very least, as you discovered there is sitting around in them being social which is great for mental health. Using them by themselves and mediating for mindfulness. I really like them pre-run as it helps loosen everything up and warm up the muscles too. It is pretty easy to determine they help reduce leg edema as that is why they were developed. Take a patients calf circumference before and after and no doubt it is smaller. However, how it helps in recovery is trickier to study.

I even have someone who bought a pair and loves them and I have been watching him blow up his run mileage because he just feels great. Just because his "legs" feel recovered and are fresher that doesn't mean his body can actually handle the increased mileage. In that case boots could actually end up working against him.

I love walking too and I think it has great benefits. If you have a dog you are lucky, get out there and give them walks. But for me, getting in the boots at the end of the day is a great way to refresh the legs and wind myself down for bed at the same time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wondering how the recovery pump stand up to the Normatecs? I'm always a bit skeptical on the less expensive brands even though I should try them considering the price savings. However, I found a solid review on them here, https://thetriathletehub.com/recovery-boots/ just wondering how the Recovery Pumps stack up since they seem to offer a few more options.

Go where you feel most alive. |TriHub
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alphatri36 wrote:
Wondering how the recovery pump stand up to the Normatecs? I'm always a bit skeptical on the less expensive brands even though I should try them considering the price savings.

I briefly stated in my original Normatec vs Air Relax review my thoughts on some other units out there including Recovery Pump. I'll reiterate again here, if you are going to pay that much for a pair of boots you might as well just get Normatec. I don't really understand those purchasing Rapid Reboot as they are just rebranded Dr Life LX7 boots. Nothing wrong with that, just that the price is marked up a couple hundred percent. Same thing with Recovery Pump. As long as Air Relax prices their boots as aggressively as they do, I can't see a reason to go with Rapid or Recovery Pump, and you might as well just buy Normatec. Their business model can be seen super clearly, just look at their Zero Gravity chairs at $125 a piece when you can get a 2-pack for $62 from Amazon. Same thing with their unit. If Air Relax produced Recovery Pump they would be $500. Just their model.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 15, 18 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have tips on sizing? The official site says to go with the larger size if in between. My inseam is a bit longer than 30"; I'm 5'9" in height (i.e. wear 30L pants, but true inseam is probably a bit longer). Leaning towards ordering the size 3s; anyone have actual measurements of the boots or experience with the size?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [yanr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yanr wrote:
Anyone have tips on sizing? The official site says to go with the larger size if in between. My inseam is a bit longer than 30"; I'm 5'9" in height (i.e. wear 30L pants, but true inseam is probably a bit longer). Leaning towards ordering the size 3s; anyone have actual measurements of the boots or experience with the size?

I would definitely go size 3 if I were you. That is going to be the right size. The next size up will be too large given your inseam. If you have any other questions let me know. I could potentially measure a pair, I have 3 and 4, but I am sitting in them right now and don't really want to get out of them ;)

With that being said, again, I am 100% confident you are size 3. Sorry about the late reply, I should have seen this sooner. As always, you can save $20+ on a pair here.

Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I realize this post stretches out over 2 years. And I read most of all the posts. Responding to a post that said they found cheaper boots than Normatec and cheaper than Air Relax. As of Aug 2018 Amazon has one that looks quite similar to the older orange version of the Air Relax on markdown for $275. Would like to know if anybody has this one and how durable it is. Amazon does have an additional 2 or 3 year warranty you can buy, but unsure about how reliable that is. Cost is $15 for 3 years. Manufacturer only gives 60 days, so is it made of cheap materials that will fall apart in a couple of months or the air pump will fail in a couple months? Returning items like this is a hassle and then you have down time without the device! See Amazon ad for picture of the device. It runs 10,20 and 30 minutes with up to 250mmHg. One size only.

Here is the item number on Amazon sold by Vive Health Direct:
  • ASIN: B06X1CG8CR
  • https://www.amazon.com/Sequential-Compression-Device-Vive-Intermittent/dp/B06X1CG8CR
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Unoit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unoit wrote:
Yes, I realize this post stretches out over 2 years. And I read most of all the posts. Responding to a post that said they found cheaper boots than Normatec and cheaper than Air Relax. As of Aug 2018 Amazon has one that looks quite similar to the older orange version of the Air Relax on markdown for $275. Would like to know if anybody has this one and how durable it is. Amazon does have an additional 2 or 3 year warranty you can buy, but unsure about how reliable that is. Cost is $15 for 3 years. Manufacturer only gives 60 days, so is it made of cheap materials that will fall apart in a couple of months or the air pump will fail in a couple months? Returning items like this is a hassle and then you have down time without the device! See Amazon ad for picture of the device. It runs 10,20 and 30 minutes with up to 250mmHg. One size only.

• ASIN: B06X1CG8CR
  • https://www.amazon.com/Sequential-Compression-Device-Vive-Intermittent/dp/B06X1CG8CR

If I was ever to purchase an Amazon warranty, it would be in a situation like this. With all due respect to the manufacturer, of course.

Edit: But for god's sake (and ST's), someone please buy these and report back!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: Aug 3, 18 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unoit wrote:

Is the warranty 60-days? It seems the 60-days is just the unconditional guarantee period, maybe the warranty is longer. Regardless, put them on an AMEX and that will double the warranty. Fwiw, I haven't heard of too many failures in general. The failures I have heard of have pretty much all been Normatec, but I am also pretty sure that is just the function of pro athletes using them for many years, and being especially hard on their equipment, and traveling a lot, and hearing about those incidents. Air Relax really hasn't been in mass circulation long enough to know how they will hold up over many years, mine have held up for two years now. One thing to think about in the case of Air Relax it is 230mmHg, and these are 250mmHg, and Normatec is 100mmHg. When you think about designing a product to be able to handle 230/250mmHg and then only using them to say 100mmHg then you are well under the engineered strength of the boots. Given that you probably don't need to use them at anywhere close to the max (100mmHg and less) I am sure they will be more reliable then if you cranked it up to 250mmHg.

If you do purchase a set send me a message after a few months of use and let me know how you like them. I might have to pick up a set myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is the warranty 60-days? It seems the 60-days is just the unconditional guarantee period, maybe the warranty is longer. Regardless, put them on an AMEX and that will double the warranty. Fwiw, I haven't heard of too many failures in general. ...

Don't have AMEX. And did note that comment in other posts on this topic. 3 year warranty if hassle free would be sufficient for me to try. Air Relax only has a 1 year warranty and $40 per year for additional years. Though I think that Air Relax would be of better quality than the Vive for $275 which is made in China. It would be nice to have them both to compare since that way you can really see the quality. Though then you would probably need to return one. I may just spend the extra money and go with the Air Relax. But Amazon third parties do sometimes have good warranties that are hassle free with no shipping cost. What good is a warranty if you have to pay for shipping and that can be $60? Plus take weeks. And then if they send it back "repaired" and it fails soon again? Would like to avoid those hassles. Thanks for mentioning that there aren't many reported fails. Though will take in consideration that is just because Air Relax is new, nobody in the forum on this topic may have tried Vive, and most the pros use Normatec.

Some concerns were the stitching. That can fail. Or the "glue" used to hold the chambers together. That can wear and fail. One little hole, be it a puncture or other hole, and that chamber is useless. It is hard to tell in a picture, but to me it looks like the Air Relax is far better quality than the Vive. They do not list the materials used for the boots or for the pump. The hoses look similar but one could be much better quality materials. I have bought Chinese products that looked the same as others but fell apart due to cheap materials. Though sometimes it is okay. Many athletic shoes for example are manufactured in China now. Though unless the customer stipulates particular quality control or material use, the manufacturer may use less expensive or cheap materials to cut costs.

Also, in terms of the pressure rating, I'm not sure that I would go by it for comparison. Since I have found that in products made in China that they often will report a product as having XYZ properties when it does not really have that. For example, with flashlights they sell cheap ones that are advertised as 10,000 lumens. But when you get them, they are more like 350-400 lumens! I think that the same may be true of the pressure ratings. So even though it says 250mmHg, you would really have to compare it to the Air Relax side by side with a trial to see if the Vive 250mmHg is equal to, less than, or greater than the 240mmHg of Air Relax. It might be that Vive 250mmHg = 180mmHg on Air Relax for example. And it also depends how they programmed the controller of the air pump. Maybe one has a better ramp up, and a more effective hold. While the other may be too quick to get good fluid moving through the legs. I tend to agree with another post that says that they found little data on the use of sequential air compression systems. You kind of have to try it to see if it works for you.

The hose attachments probably aren't compatible. Though if they were, Air Relax also has a Shorts option for another $250. Though as Thomas said about longer boot sizes, it may interfere with the "boys". Looks to me like it goes right over the groin area. But they must have thought about that and it is chamber free.

https://air-relax.com/...cts/air-relax-shorts
Last edited by: Unoit: Aug 3, 18 21:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello- I have one pair of the original orange Air Relax boots, and also pair of size 3 newer blue Air Relax boots. We are a family of 3 triathletes so we get a lot of use out of both sets. I have had the orange boots for a few years now and they work great...actually I am sitting in them now as I write this. I feel it was a great investment.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello- I have one pair of the original orange Air Relax boots, and also pair of size 3 newer blue Air Relax boots.
Thanks...though I was specifically asking about the Vive Sequential Compression boots on Amazon (or elsewhere) on "markdown" for $275. Others have already replied about Air Relax on this post topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vive Sequential Air Compression leg boots from Amazon at $275. So I have bought them and tried them for a couple weeks. Could make a new post but then it wouldn't link to the replies on this post so I just put it here. Since I didn't also get the AirRelax and Normatec I can not compare. Was hoping somebody who knows those would be able to do so before I made a purchase decision. It seems to work. Here is a brief summary:

1. Three modes, A=one chamber at a time, B=sequences all chambers while holding air in each chamber, C=two alternating chambers at a time.
2. Pump gets warm on use, so I'm a bit concerned about pump longevity. There is a vent on the bottom that you remove a screw before use so I tilt it up so there is air flow.
3. Think measurements for leg sleeves are on Amazon. It isn't cut straight at the end so part rides up your thigh and hamstring. No air flow on leg sleeves, so they made my legs profusely sweat in a non-air conditioned room. Think puddles of sweat and you got it right.
4. Mostly used B under standard pressure, mid-level. Sometimes stuck feet through to get the leg sleeves higher on the thigh. That did cause some post use achilles pain or discomfort though that seemed to go away after walking or jogging.
5. Did try higher pressures on mode A where it is tolerable. Max pressure was okay. Different story on mode B since it leaves the chambers full as it sequences.
6. The leg sleeves stay inflated somewhat after the device shuts off which makes storage a bit difficult. As I leave the tubes plugged in to the pump since it is hard to connect and that looks like it might break. After thinking about it, I think that you could find an adapter to use Air Relax leg sleeves. It is just a matter of the connector.

Basically, it seems to work but as I said I don't have the other brands to compare it to. I did kind of think that maybe I should have gotten the AirRelax. But saving the $125 or so was a good idea too. It did come with a card that said 60 day guarantee, and I did get a 3 year warranty, but I have not gotten the paperwork for the warranty and may try to switch it to the one that was originally posted by Amazon. I got the "Square Trade" warranty from All State, and have wondered if it is a hassle free warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [mad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they really work?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Tward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tward wrote:
Do they really work?

Are they effective in helping athletes recovery faster and feel fresher? Yes IMHO. Are they an cost-effective replacement for Normatec? Yes IMHO. Do they reduce swelling, Yes. If used in conjunction with bedtime routine do they help calm you and prepare you for sleep? Yes

Fwiw, I had a 53lb bag to Hawaii last month and had to lighten up quickly. Needless to say the boots made the cut. I think you will find that most serious athletes (in triathlon but pretty much any other sport) use them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had normatec pulses a month now and am not sure they do a lot for me. Very enjoyable to have on sure although I'd like a bit more pressure. Pretty bitter they acknowledge that they sold the pulse model as having a battery for years and admit that they all have a fault that discharges the battery and yet have the cheek to charge 400 bucks to fix their fault. Seems insane on such a premium product. Air relax are the equivalent of $800 here in the UK but normatecs nearly 1800 fwiw.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Air Relax boots, but one thing drives me crazy about them. It’s the 15min timer... Has anyone figured out a way to bypass the automatic shutdown at the 15min mark? I know the Normatec’s have an adjustable timer, but not worth an extra $1k for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Tward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your local pool or body of water will provide the same results

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I've had normatec pulses a month now and am not sure they do a lot for me. Very enjoyable to have on sure although I'd like a bit more pressure. Pretty bitter they acknowledge that they sold the pulse model as having a battery for years and admit that they all have a fault that discharges the battery and yet have the cheek to charge 400 bucks to fix their fault. Seems insane on such a premium product. Air relax are the equivalent of $800 here in the UK but normatecs nearly 1800 fwiw.

I hear you on the battery. When I first complained about it that is kinda of how I felt... you don't over promise and under deliver on a premium product. With that being said, the biggest surprise is that it took me using it to figure this out on my own. Amazing how I went back and looked at all the review/reviewers and nobody mentions this (hmm), did they really test the product or did they just test it to write a quick review - this wasn't a problem that occurred in a limited batch, all units were affected as it was the way it was designed. I am glad that they fixed the unit in the 2nd gen Pulse. I didn't know they were upgrading batteries at that cost. Did you go thru with the service? Did you send it back to the US for this service? If you went thru with it what was the turnaround time? Still an awesome product but it would be nice if they did something other than charge $400 to fix their own mistake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Rx version of the pulse pro... I thought the battery discharge was a design feature ? I usually use them @ home ....so they are plugged in. Do they discharge too quick or not hold a charge at all ? I have not really tested the battery on mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
your local pool or body of water will provide the same results

This^^^^^^^ Save your money.
Quote Reply

Prev Next