Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

favorite Vasa ERG workouts?
Quote | Reply
I finally found one for dirt cheap, and am know the happy owner of a "massively ugly piece of gym equipment" (according to my wife :))

I am planning to go through 8-10 weeks of doing 3-4 Vasa sessions + 1 pool swim. What kind of workouts do you do on the ERG - that you found to be helpful? Please share them if you can.

Thanks in advance!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: favorite Vasa ERG workouts? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to find one of these for cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just purchased a slightly used one over the holidays and have started experimenting. For years I have heard good things about the benefits, so finally took the leap and integrating it into the training program.

For starters I have been 'warming up' for 5 minutes on the lowest setting (the #1 with least resistance), alternating freestyle and butterfly.

For a 'main set' I spend 10 minutes in the middle settings (3 through 5 depending on feels and ability to hold good form), alternating 1 minute freestyle, 1 minute butterfly, 30 seconds rest, and do this 4x.

Last I will do 10x50 meters alternating freestyle and butterfly on the highest setting (the #10 with most resistance).

Maybe a 'cool down' but typically sufficiently tired so just fumble off the Erg at that point.

So far I am pleased with the investment not to mention it forced me to finally rearrange our garage to make room!

There are a whole series of good short videos with drills and other workouts. Good to see proper technique best practices too.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Last edited by: VALHALLA: Jan 17, 18 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Re: favorite Vasa ERG workouts? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my Vasa Erg for a year now and love it. Unfortunately, I cannot do regular freestyle (on the Vasa) very long (say, :40 sec) before my lower back begins to hurt. I know this is not common for everyone. Any one else struggling with back issues on their Erg?

Thus ..... I have found success with do 20 min straight of:
:30 right arm / :30 left arm for 20' straight. [for me, level 3 as I am a 1:30/yd swimmer] Think of it as one-arm drills.... because that's what it is :)
Quote Reply
Re: favorite Vasa ERG workouts? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple:

1. 300 warm up on level one - 200 level 2, 200 on level 1, 200 on level 3, 200 on level 2 - Cool down 200 on level 1. (this on is on their website.

2. 4 x 250 on level 2

3. Tabata Intervals on Vasa

4. 10 x 100 alternating levels 1,2, and 3

5. 1 x 500 before indoor bike trainer workout

6. 20 x 50 hard with 30 sec. jump rope between sets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a bunch of stuff, found that at least for me, keeping it simple but painful (!) works well.

I wish I could say I was so motivated that I could do these workouts every day but I'd be lying!

My favorites:

Alternating 100m very hard/100 very easy, for 3000 total. Takes me about an hour, and is very hard. Without a fan blower on me, I will leave a 2 foot puddle on the floor after this one!

And then 400m steady at race-type pull effort. Not as hard for me as the above two, but good for that arm endurance burn. I usually go 3000+ with this one.

And for the 20 min time-crunched workout, which I will admit is still hard enough that I don't do it enough despite the short time of work: 75m max effort alt 25m super easy. I usually can't last much longer than 1000m on these without big power dropoffs, so good for 20'.
Quote Reply
Re: favorite Vasa ERG workouts? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing your workouts!

Quote Reply
Re: favorite Vasa ERG workouts? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fantastic! thank you!

Quote Reply
Re: favorite Vasa ERG workouts? [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that moving my hips slightly up the bench really helps. or you might need their XL bench if it's not an option (ie you're too tall).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this one! COO of TrainingPeaks came up with this one: https://vasatrainer.com/blog/keith-watson-of-trainingpeaks-shares-key-workouts/
Quote Reply