Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Taren

Noticed this guy late summer and have been occasionally chiming in on his YouTube channel since.

His audience is more for the beginner/intermediate crowd, but of all triathletes that work with social media he has been very fresh and original. He does a daily YouTube clip on training "Secrets" or tips, products reviews, and talks about his own training (in a very non boring way), and built a pretty damn big community of "trainiacs".

This guy obviously has a background in social media but could be a big asset to pros and AG ambassadors on how to actually provide value and be entertaining at the same time.

Keep it up Taren

Re: Triathlon Taren [CU427] [ In reply to ]

Reaching for the popcorn.......

Officially feel old as I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm a fan of Taren. I think he helps to intro/popularize the sport and address the challenges he faces daily with training and life.

Re: Triathlon Taren [logella] [ In reply to ]

logella wrote:
Officially feel old as I have no idea what you are talking about.

Haha. Well at least you are using the internet... ^^;

Taren's videos are pretty entertaining. They use a lot of editing, so I don't know how he is able to put one out EVERY day. Definitely worth a look.

Re: Triathlon Taren [jdais] [ In reply to ]

http://triathlontaren.com/blog/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/

Interesting guy - very comfortable in front of the camera.

Good content.

Indeed, geared more towards the beginner/intermediate . . but that's OK.

They are well put together and seem to involve a lot of editing. I'm always in wonderment where someone like this finds the time for it all.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog

watched one, found him annoying, so didn't watch any more. Some people like his channel though, so its all good.

Product placement aside, I've been enjoying the GTN shows. They have a couple of videos now for the trainer, did the intervals one yesterday and it was a pretty good 30 minute session.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

I would like to see a podium winner or coach do a youtube channel, hate to get training advice from an average age grouper. Def is great for the beginner Triathlete fan base

good for him to be able to make a living talking about his hobby

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3

I watch his videos sometimes when I'm on the trainer. I think he does a great job of trying to entice the beginner/ intermediate triathlon crowd which is fantastic.

Have nothing but respect for the following he's built and the work he does trying to help people become more knowledgeable about triathlons.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Fleck] [ In reply to ]

Taren's full time job is his blog and podcasts. He quit being an financial advisor to pursue it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/

Re: Triathlon Taren [BryanD] [ In reply to ]

Doesn't he still do Social Media consulting or something? I guess that would not be very time consuming anyway if you work for yourself as a consultant.

Re: Triathlon Taren [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]

I think he still does some consulting on the side. He mentioned that he wants to go completely full time with the Youtube stuff this year. I find his stuff entertaining and he has some good info for athletes at all levels. I have learned a few things myself. I'm all for anything that helps new people get into the sport
Last edited by: gsutriguy: Jan 24, 18 8:10

I've found his podcast to be very good. His wife, NTK (No Triathlon Kim) is really good on it as well. Good interviews with Sarah True, Josh Amberger amongst others.

Give it a whirl...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!

Re: Triathlon Taren [dfru] [ In reply to ]

Does he post on ST ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--

Re: Triathlon Taren [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]

surfNJmatt wrote:
I would like to see a podium winner or coach do a youtube channel, hate to get training advice from an average age grouper. Def is great for the beginner Triathlete fan base

good for him to be able to make a living talking about his hobby

I hear you but in fairness, he is a FOP age grouper.

Re: Triathlon Taren [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]

He does. I can't remember his username.

dfru wrote:

Give it a whirl...

Round Salthill prom?

;-)

Re: Triathlon Taren [somers515] [ In reply to ]

Yeah, I’ve watched a few. He throws in humor and speaks well so it’s a nice mix up of content and humor. Or as a friend of mine likes to describe him “he speaks normal so I can understand him”. Hahaha. And I’d also agree he is a FOP AGer.

I was watching his videos nightly, much to my wife's dismay, but it's gotten a little daunting as of late so I've had to take a break. I guess there's not as much to talk about during the offseason so it's to be understood the content has gotten a little bland (like deconstructing at 920xt...). The vlogs of his race trips were cool too. He seems to be getting positive feedback here but think he's a little touchy regarding the internet haters. If he can't ignore those then he's probably not gonna make it much longer! HA!

I actually sat near him at the Austin 70.3 athlete briefing this year. He was talking with Sarah True after they had interviewed her on the stage. Was pretty funny when someone walked up and asked to take a picture. He moved aside thinking the guy wanted to take a picture with True. When the guy motioned towards him, he was like, "why would you want a picture with me over her", haha. I don't watch him all the time as a lot of the stuff he discusses I read on this site long ago, but I did pay attention when he did daily updates about Austin since I was also doing the race. Think he qualified for 70.3 WC in that race through a roll down, so it's not like he's just a complete MOP guy.

I enjoy his podcast over his youtube videos. He's had on some good guests. The Mark Allen one was interesting.
I think it's great he's trying to make a living out of it.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca

I think he's doing a great job. Might not be for everyone but I appreciate the effort he puts in. Good for him.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Fleck] [ In reply to ]

With decent editing software, I would imagine it doesn't take more than 2 hours or so to put together his daily content. The community building aspect is the hard part.

He did identify a good niche - BT is a dead zone (hooray, way too active moderation), and people tend to "graduate" to Slowtwitch eventually.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter

Re: Triathlon Taren [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]

I gave him another shot today, and it wasn't too bad.

Watched a couple of his swim-centric videos, and although I cringed a little at what he was saying, I recognize that although "I" wouldn't recommend some of the things he talks about that doesn't necessarily make him wrong for his target audience.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Prev Next