Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: swim at least 4 times, run two speed workouts (1 done this morning), no food issues

all done except 1 day w/ food issues

M: 7 mi run (2.5 @ 7:53, 1 @ 7:47 1.5 @ 7:41), 1225 yd swim - Maine
T: 6.5 mi run + 1725 yd swim - Maine
W: 5.5 mi run + 1225 yd swim - Maine
T: 9.3 mi run - Maine
F: 7.5 mi run (6 x 1 mi @ 7:41 pace), 10 min goofing around in the hotel pool - San Diego
S: 5 mi run, 4.8 mi walk - San Diego
S: 8.5 mi run, couple miles hiking - Salt Lake

conference went well and I had a really good Saturday night / Sunday / half day today with my brother in Salt Lake. I'm at the airport headed back to Oklahoma now. Goals for the week: 4 swims, 2 bikes, day off from running, 2 run workouts.

Hope everyone had a good week!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC, safe travels. Sounds like the week went pretty well for you.

I had a pretty bad back flare-up. I'm back to PT two times a week, and my running took a hit. Was supposed to get to the pool today, but it was just too cold.

This week goals are 8 runs, 3 swims, 3 bikes. And lots of home PT exercises.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerhik, I hope your food issues are brief and your travels are safe.

Tri3, sorry to hear about your back. Wishing you a full and fast recovery.

I had a rough week. I mentioned having a protracted discussion with my coach about goals and some unexpected soreness -- unfortunately neither are resolved. By Tuesday morning I was in the doctor's office with severe muscle spasms in my right hip and radicular pain down my right leg. I've shared some details on this before but these symptoms are VERY familiar to me. I've had this issue since I was 20 years old and it usually knocks me on my butt once a year -- I looked back at our posts from the summer of 2016 and it's eerily similar.
I ended up taking the whole week off and I have to drop out of my favorite race of the year (a 24 hour adventure race with some of my favorite people) so that's a major bummer. The good news is it seems to be not as bad as the last time and a more effective prescription combination. Mentally, it's been tough because I'd been feeling like I'd finally broken my cycle of injury but I'm trying to focus on the positive. I'm also feeling extra grateful I learned how to swim :D

I'm going to try swim tonight and I go back to the doctor tomorrow. So my week is TBD. Probably a bunch of swimming and hopefully some easy biking and maybe even easy running if things continue to improve the way they are at the moment.

My chin is up.

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I have been lurking on these forums for a few weeks now so figured it is time for me to chime in.

My week was focused on recovery as I ran a marathon this past Sunday. Finally got a Boston qualifying time!

To give my legs a break my week consisted of 6 swims, 4 rides, and 1 run. This weeks goals are 5 swims, 4 rides, and 5 runs. My training for IMTX officially started today and I'm very excited! And nervous! It will be my first full IM.

I also have my first ever gravel race this Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't flop off. Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry about your injuries, Tri3 and SoCal. I hope they resolve soon.

Welcome, SwimBikeChase! Congrats on your BQ!

I'd like to share a recent achievement: my non-runner hubby hasn't protested against my 100/100 involvement, and I've run a few doubles without him raising his eyebrows. Its as if my running/tri lifestyle is normal in his eyes. I've been quietly working toward this for a while.

Goals this week: 7 runs, 2 rides & locate a swimming pool.

Finally, kindly thoughts to SLOgoing.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about the setbacks SoCal & Tri3- I hope you both feel better soon. The recurring aspect sounds so frustrating SoCal.
Welcome SwimBikeChase! Congratulations on the BQ time!

My week's goals were: swim x 3, bike x 3, run x 2, first XC ski lesson, strength x 2 (one will probably be in a physio session) And for the first time in forever I did it all! XC skiing was interesting (and so very different to all the alpine skiing I have done so far in my life); it was so weird having my heels free to move around and I managed to fall smack onto my knees at one stage so have been going around with grazed knees for the first time in a few decades. The windchill was close to -40 during the lesson so I'm hoping that it's a bit warmer this week.

I have the same goals for this week. No alcohol January is still going strong and I feel pretty good. I've found that I associate certain drinks with certain meals so am trying to cook new stuff/stuff without associations.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Scheherazade! I spend more time trying to stay off my arse than I do actually skiing on my skis! I thought I wanted to learn how to skate and very quickly realised that classic was going to be enough of a challenge. We were looking good for some skiing and fat biking up here and then the rain and fog hit. It's dry enough that I could be riding the roads right now, which is crazy.

My major goal for the week was to get through my 16-mile long run, which I duly did, but man.... My IT band is not happy. Tried for a follow-up run yesterday and couldn't get in more than a third of a mile. I have some exercises to try and if that doesn't get me anywhere I guess I'll have to get a PT referral. It's the first time I've had a nagging issue (aside from the emergency gallbladder removal) that has kept me from training fully, and it's immensely frustrating. I'm six weeks out from my first full marathon and I'm desperate to figure this out. I so feel for you who have been sidelined a bunch in a way that I really didn't quite understand before.

Plan for this week is to be kind to the knee, do the PT exercises, spin more, and get in a couple of swims. Eat real food. Not throttle either my soon (but not soon enough)-back-to-college stepson nor his visiting brother, since I'd rather spend my money on bike things than bail.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eyes on the prize - murder (or even assault) is not the answer. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies.

So sorry to hear that some of you are dealing with injuries. I know how frustrating that can be! Take it easy, do your (pre)hab, and heal up.

Welcome to the newbie club SwimBikeChase and congrats on your BQ!

After weeks of fighting upper respiratory crud I finally got hubby and coach's (not the same people, but they do talk about me (; ) clearance to start doing something again last week. Spent time on the trainer turning the pedals easy. Something is better than nothing - right? I also played around a little bit with Zwift on Saturday and I'm thinking it will be a nice distraction for those weeknight trainer sessions until DST kicks in and I can head outside.

The highlight of my week was my husband chasing me out of the house on Sunday and telling me to take my mountain bike with me. Fresh air, sunshine, and dirt is good for the soul.

This next week will be interesting - after months of CX racing, I'm reintegrating running and swimming into the mix.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious, I'm really sorry to hear about the injury and missing the race :-( I hope you're feeling better soon if not right this very minute.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [SwimBikeChase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi!

I have been lurking on these forums for a few weeks now so figured it is time for me to chime in.

My week was focused on recovery as I ran a marathon this past Sunday. Finally got a Boston qualifying time!

To give my legs a break my week consisted of 6 swims, 4 rides, and 1 run. This weeks goals are 5 swims, 4 rides, and 5 runs. My training for IMTX officially started today and I'm very excited! And nervous! It will be my first full IM.

I also have my first ever gravel race this Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't flop off. Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Welcome and CONGRATS on the Boston time!!!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'd like to share a recent achievement: my non-runner hubby hasn't protested against my 100/100 involvement, and I've run a few doubles without him raising his eyebrows. Its as if my running/tri lifestyle is normal in his eyes. I've been quietly working toward this for a while.

LOL! That's awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME, do you have a foam roller? That + glute exercises have been really helpful for me in the past when my IT band flares up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a foam roller.... You're the second person who has suggested I really need one. I guess I'll have to listen and buy one ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had a foam roller until I got one and then I got a tiger tail and a lacrosse ball and a bigger foam ball. It's a slippery slope ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you do
they are amazing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Women! Thank you so much for thinking of me this week and last. What a wild couple of weeks!

Not to get too far off topic, at Mum's memorial I got to see my brother I hadn't seen since 1996 and my sister tried really hard to avoid me. It was rough. I really enjoyed meeting all of Mum's friends and hearing so many stories. In typical family fashion, the memorial was at a bar (she was a bartender) so that really helped keep it from being a totally depressing teary mess.

During my travel for Mum I dragged my bike and Kickr along with me so I was able to keep up with my biking (in Zwift - too cold outside). Running fell by the wayside. One of the hotel treadmills was pre-busted, I busted one of them on day 2, and inevitably there was somebody on the third. I tried a few outdoor runs, but the timing wasn't favorable.

So.... I've fallen really far back on the 100/100 challenge. Maybe I'll hit 80. GRRRRRR. This was going to be my year. Damnit.

Anyway, I've taken a restructured approach to my training now that I'm in the throws of tax season. I actually did something truly earth-shattering yesterday. I jumped in the pool at 7am for a workout. I decided to go ahead and get over my disdain for early morning swimming and hook up with a masters group. Unfortunately, the day I decided to do this was a holiday and I was the only one there. So I just got a quick swim in. Oops.

SoCal - yikes! That is no fun at all! I remember your saga from 2016. You recovered last time and you'll recover again. Don't get discouraged.

Tri3 - I'd rather have a baby than back flare ups. Bad backs are very debilitating.

Chase - wow! BQ. I will never ever achieve such an honor; I'm in awe.

Stay healthy ladies. And don't forget to give your loved ones a squeeze.

Cheers!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 15 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL on the swim.

Glad the funeral went okay-ish. Those are always hard :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLO, I'm thinking of you and impressed you were able to think about training at all.

Welcome, SwimBikeChase and congrats on your BQ.

CalamityJane88, I've been quietly laying the groundwork for a moment like that for years -- I'm hopeful :D

UK2ME, if you want to go all in, the RollRecovery roller looks weird but it great for ITB.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I'm frustrated but trying to be positive about it. Other than missing my favorite race, it's probably the best time for this to happen and it's definitely not as serious as the 2016 edition, and I'm already swimming (I keep laughing at the fact that I didn't know how to swim for the first oh 15 years of this issue...)
I am hoping to be back within the next week but I don't want to rush it.

Have a good week everyone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the "make your IT band behave" suggestions. I'm checking them out.

SoCal, I assume you mean this convoluted looking thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's it -- looks crazy, feels amazing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLO, welcome back. I missed you.

There are still a couple of ways that you could get to 100, but it won't be easy. I figure if you did a double every fifth day that would get you there. If you go down that road, do the bare minimum for each run (30:01) at a recovery pace.

Even so, 80 is nothing to sneeze at. And there's always next year....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleh - still sick and swamped with work. Five days of get up, work, home to bed. Finally felt better on the weekend and got two 30 minute trainer rides in.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply