Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blue Triad SL build headset / fork questions.
Quote | Reply
So I'm slowly piecing together a Blue Triad SL 2016 build from just the frame and fork. I had a few questions.

I got a hold of some spare Triad spacers from a very helpful ST member, and the Aerus stem direct from Blue.

I'm having a hard time working out how to secure all those aero spacers from spinning around independently from the rest of the steerer. I read that I should be putting an M6 bolt through the smaller hole in the stem, down through all the spacers (which will stop the play between stem and spacers), but I'm at a loss as to where it's supposed to screw into to stop the play between the spacers and the fork? There aren't any threads in the faring section of the fork to secure the bolt.

To keep the aero spacers flush with the aero fork profile, I had to remove the headset dust cap thingo. Is that going to be ok? I noticed it has an o-ring inside the cap, so just wanted to make sure I'm not going to have any water / dust issues by removing. It's not like I'm going to be training with it regularly in the wet, but it will be gently washed often (because it's my baby).

I'm also a little confused about the steerer tube sizing and what that means for the build. It needed a 1" headset for the 1" steerer, but the Aerus stem and spacers are 1-1/8. I got an adaptor / chock thingy to increase the diameter for the stem/spacers. Is that how it's normally done?

The 1" - 1-1/8" adaptor is a bit taller than the length of the steerer. Can I just get a 1-1/8 star nut to secure the topcap and cinch the fork tightly to the frame? Or should I trim it to the same height as the steerer tube and look around for a 1" star nut / top cap (they seem harder to locate?).
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Triad SL build headset / fork questions. [zarb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There should most definitely be a threaded insert in the nosecone section of the fork in order to secure the stem, which needs to be done before preloading the headset bearings. The preload on the Triad does not use the stem with conventional steerer spacers for preload. There is a sleeve that slides over the steerer tube and also acts as a shim (1" to 1-1/8"). You need to have the sleeve extend past the steerer tube by a couple mm's and you need to use the FSA type expansion plug. The FSA top cap (threads into the compression plug) will compress the sleeve and it's the sleeve that actually preloads the bearings. You also need to make sure that you include the thin aluminum steerer/ring spacers to fill the gap between the headset bearing and the cutout in the bottom of the aero spacers so that the aero spacers sit flush with the top of the nosecone.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Triad SL build headset / fork questions. [Otis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Otis.

The sleeve I have slides over the steerer tube to rest on top of the headset bearings. I then have a bunch of the aluminium steerer spacers which fills the gap between the headset bearing and the aero spacers gap so that they sit flush.

There is no threaded insert in the nosecone that I have. Is that something I can buy and fit separately? At the moment the nosecone is just a hollow chamber with a divider separating the chamber into left and right sections (dividing from the front to the back).

The FSA type expansion plug you are mentioning, I assume that means I need a 1" plug so that the sleeve is the one doing the preloading? Such as this one:

http://www.bikewagon.com/...der-plug-and-top-cap

Will the topcap be wide enough so that the 1-1/8 spacers can't slip off?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there is an issue with your fork. The front portion of the nosecone should not be hollow and should have an aluminum piece bonded to the carbon with a female threaded insert to accept the main stem bolt.

That looks to be the correct expansion plug. Note that there is no need to use spacers above the stem as the sleeve does the preload. So, the top cap need only be as wide and the sleeve (1-1/8").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This link shows what the fork should look like . . .

https://static1.squarespace.com/...ng+last+revision.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Otis.

I checked what the nosecone should look like, and I'm missing that metal part bonded to the carbon. It's disappointing because I got the frame from a bike store who said it was in used but perfect condition...

If I somehow find that part, or something similar shaped, would it still function correctly? If it sits in that front portion of the nosecone and it somewhat fits the profile of the surrounding carbon, it would not move side to side within the nosecone nor would it be able to move up past the lowest spacer. Not ideal, but if it's purpose is to only allow the nosecone, spacers, and stem to move as one unit, is it sufficient?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alternatively I'll just have to buy a replacement fork from Blue. They are $299 which is better than having to replace the entire frame I guess?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. It needs to be bonded to the fork. I would return it to the shop. and get your $ back. That's B.S.! If they've dealt at all with Blue, they would know it isn't right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't make that frame anymore so I hope they have one in the size you need. Good luck. If it was me, first place I'd go is the shop that sold it to me. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
Quote Reply