Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Apple Watch Users
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to hear what people think of the AW for sport activity (i.e. running, cycling, swimming). I've been a Garmin user for a decade but the idea of having music on my watch is far too appealing to not look into.

I'm less interested in hearing about the day-to-day use but want to hear if you miss your Garmin, is having music on your watch as awesome as I expect, is the GPS tracking good enough, etc.

Also, include if you have Series 2 or 3.

NOTE: I've already ready DC Rainmakers write-up... I just want to hear from the forum members.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin has a new run watch coming out that can have music on it

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612476

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I saw... I should specify that I refuse to "buy" music. I'll pay for a streaming service (or multiple) and then create playlists, etc. I'm a fan of Spotify but have used Apple Music (which sucks in comparison).

The new Garmin will only sync iHeart Radio... UGH! I mean, just shit. With that said, it's not really Garmin's fault... Spotify needs to step up and create an App for a smart watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a series 3 for Christmas and I really enjoy the watch. That said, I think my Fenix 3Hr is significantly better in the water, and I like it better for runs too. Most of this comes down to having my screens set up exactly how I want them and the physical buttons are nice when my fingers get wet and sweaty.

Haven’t tried the Apple Watch out on the bike yet because I live in New Hampshire and it’s gross out. I’ll be on the trainer until mud season/spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I saw... I should specify that I refuse to "buy" music. I'll pay for a streaming service (or multiple) and then create playlists, etc. I'm a fan of Spotify but have used Apple Music (which sucks in comparison).

The new Garmin will only sync iHeart Radio... UGH! I mean, just shit. With that said, it's not really Garmin's fault... Spotify needs to step up and create an App for a smart watch.

It does not just sync iHeart Radio (That and deezer are the only streaming services). You can also upload podcasts/mp3s to it.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...music-gps-watch.html

To each his own, but still do not understand anyone that wants music. Would work cycling and biking, but legally you must keep headphones out of at least one ear on the bike so that you can hear traffic, and for safety you should do the same thing for running. Also listening to music has been proven to affect your stride while running. Most people will inherently match their cadence to the beat of the music.

Also if you read his post carefully the Apple Watch is not really designed for triathlon use, but of course neither is the Garmin 645.
Last edited by: tyme: Jan 12, 18 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had an AW since release and currently have a Series 2. Honestly, the AW is worst in class as both a fitness tracker and an activity tracker. I wear a Fitbit 24/7 for activity tracking. I use a Garmin 735XT for swimming and running. I have a Garmin 520 for biking. And, I wear the AW during the day as my timepiece and fun gadget.

I can elaborate for pages about the issues. In general, it meets the technical minimums, and is fine for a casual exerciser. But for people who care, it sucks mightily.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my Series 2 Apple watch for a year now and it has been my training watch as well as day to day watch.

Things I like:

I have Airpods and like that I can listen to music while running. I was never a big listen to music while running person until I got the Airpods. It is seem-less now with the new updates. I stream directly from my watch to the Airpods.

I like that it tells me my distance and pace every mile while running. It may annoy others but I like that it tells me in a clear voice how far I have gone, the overall time and the previous mile time.

It is a great day to day smart watch.

Things I don't like:

If you use the native work-out app you cannot export it with out some sort of 3rd party app. It is a little annoying trying to upload a swim to Strava.

The Strava app is finicky. It sometimes takes 2 hours to sync with my phone and other times it takes 30 seconds. Just a minor annoyance.

The watch absolutely sucks for any sort of interval work out.

Swimming times are calculated incorrectly. It will say I have averaged 2:00/per 100 even though the time says 18:50 for 1k swam. Again a minor annoyance.

I have used the Strava app for running and still can't figure out if the main running display is telling me my current pace or my average pace.

The GPS sometimes is finicky. I will go out for a 4 mile run and on the watch it says 4 miles but when I upload to Strava it says I ran 4 miles but the stop point was a half mile before when I actually stopped. This may be a Strava thing.

Miles splits are recorded inaccurately. I will go for a run and it tells me at the end that I ran 7 minute pace but when I upload it tells me I ran 6:45 pace. The Strava app and website rarely are the same when it comes to pacing.

The auto pause/auto resume feature stinks so I just leave it turned off.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [EastonZ16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tested my Apple Watch Series 2 against my Garmin 910 and found that the Apple Watch was off by 0.25 miles on total distance. I need to try it again.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple Watch 3 for the last three months, brilliant day to day watch and sports watch.

If you actually train rather than fretting about numbers that make little difference in your overall performance and don't stress that random people aren't giving you "kudos??" then it does everything you need.

Also allows me to be tracked, take and make calls if needed while in the middle of nowhere on the mtb without having to take my phone.

Have had several Garmins and wouldn't go back.

It's only impossible if you stop to think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also curious about the Apple Watch for my wife, she is sick of her Polar's dying on her. Here is her wish list:

1. Heart rate STRAP (she needs the most accurate, second-by-second HR possible and wrist-based doesn't cut it). I understand AW works with BT straps.
2. It has to show HR at all times during a workout. Not every 5 seconds, not whenever she raises her wrist (which never works on the new Polar I got her), all the time if working out.
3. Nice looking in or away from the gym
4. Music - itunes music specifically
5. A way to track or upload scheduled interval or weight training workouts, and/or count reps when doing weights.

Can anyone comment on any/all of the above? She's got small wrists and zero use for GPS, she's just a personal trainer by trade.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [Mooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually really surprised how accurate the heart monitor was. I was comparing it to my tickr rate last night on zwift and it was never any more than 1-2 beats difference!

I find it really handy for logging workouts and tracking calories burnt.Battery life does suck though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had an apple watch 2 for a while and liked it. paired to an iphone it works well.

however, its not the best training tool.

i decided to give the garmin 935 a try and i dont miss the apple watch 2 at all, save the voice to text via my watch (which seemed to be quite buggy sometimes).

to hit your exact questions...

GPS did seem to work well for tracking on runs and bike rides.

music? i never used it so i cant comment on that.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the series 3 cellular apple watch and i got it specifically to free me up from my phone during exercise. i like to train to music/playlists that i pick out. music streams from the cloud over cellular and because i subscribe to apple music, its pretty liberating. GPS is pretty close to (but not quite as good as) the garmin 920. i am also not as enthusiastic about or interested in all the data that a lot of people on this site (and elsewhere) value highly, and the series 3 seems to provide more limited data than, say, a fenix 5. also no triathlon function on apple watch. i'll still be racing with the 920. but i really like the series 3 for everyday or "lighter training" use. i hope that helps, even a little bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [bangwhistle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bangwhistle wrote:
i have the series 3 cellular apple watch and i got it specifically to free me up from my phone during exercise. i like to train to music/playlists that i pick out. music streams from the cloud over cellular and because i subscribe to apple music, its pretty liberating. GPS is pretty close to (but not quite as good as) the garmin 920. i am also not as enthusiastic about or interested in all the data that a lot of people on this site (and elsewhere) value highly, and the series 3 seems to provide more limited data than, say, a fenix 5. also no triathlon function on apple watch. i'll still be racing with the 920. but i really like the series 3 for everyday or "lighter training" use. i hope that helps, even a little bit.

Everything has been super helpful... and your comment above is my biggest concern. I care very little outside of pace. Yes, I like having HR but it never dictates my interval. All I need a watch for is GPS, pace and an easy access to the lap and start button.

I'm curious about the connectivity issues people have though. I use Training Peaks and would be really annoyed if I finish a run and it's not uploaded within a couple minutes.

Also, I have the earpods and that is what started this whole process. They are so unbelievably amazing, its mind blowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AW fails criteria #2 and #5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I'm curious about the connectivity issues people have though. I use Training Peaks and would be really annoyed if I finish a run and it's not uploaded within a couple minutes.
This is a more complex problem and answer. If you use the native Apple workout, then your data are locked inside Apple. You can export it, but it takes some additional 3rd party tool machinations.

On the other hand, you can use a 3rd party workout app like Strava, NRC, etc., however, those are dicey and unstable. Just see some of the comments about Strava in this thread.

So, in summary, your data do not easily and reliably export anywhere. It can be done though, but it is not automatic and highly reliable as with Garmin and similar devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to manually upload to training peaks, but it's pretty easy. I use a free app called HealthFit (on the iPhone, not the watch) that you open up and send your latest workout(s) to TP. It literally takes a few seconds and though I'm admittedly not a "power user" it seems to work just fine.

For music, you can use the free Apple Radio app on the watch to stream "stations" which works well for me. If you want to play your own music, though, I'm pretty sure you need to be subscribed to Apple Music so you can sync your music to iCloud which will then sync with iTunes on the watch. I was disappointed to learn that you can't stream directly from the watch with apps like Spotify or Soundcloud....but I've managed and love my watch.

Series 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I'm curious to hear what people think of the AW for sport activity (i.e. running, cycling, swimming). I've been a Garmin user for a decade but the idea of having music on my watch is far too appealing to not look into.

I'm less interested in hearing about the day-to-day use but want to hear if you miss your Garmin, is having music on your watch as awesome as I expect, is the GPS tracking good enough, etc.

Also, include if you have Series 2 or 3.

NOTE: I've already ready DC Rainmakers write-up... I just want to hear from the forum members.

Its pretty bad. I have the series 3.

The good:

Music (you need to subscribe to apple's music service for streaming)
Cellular (great for emergency's, terrible as something you would want to use regularly after the first few days when the honeymoon wears off).

The bad:

All fitness. Why?

1. HR doesn't lock when you start an activity. It just counts down 3, 2, 1, go...HR may not record for the first few minutes due to this.
2. GPS doesn't lock. See point 1. Its the same issue.
3. Dropped HR during run/bike. It will just drop out for like 5 mins, 10 mins, etc randomly. Good times when this happens.
4. Can't edit your workouts. Lets say its off by 1/2 mile, you can't edit it ever. Unless of course you use a 3rd party app.
5. 3rd party apps are not very good. The ones out there are mostly made by one guy by himself in addition to his full time job. So when apple updates the watch, these apps break until the dev has time to fix them.
6. There are tons of bad workout apps from the big companies like nike and strava. They are just terrible.
7. Apple puts your stats in their workout app and apple health. So if you see your workout you cant see min/max HR, you need to go into another app to see it. No clue why, its just weird.
8. Hardly pairs with any sensors.
9. Cant export workout without 3rd party app and all 3rd party apps just cost more money
10. Need to charge every day or every other day if you have low use
11. Touch screen is terrible when wet, sweaty, cold, or hot. All touch screens are like this. One swim workout it took me like 3-4 mins before I could finally shut it off.
12. Cant view workouts on the watch itself once they are done. There is no history.

I'm sure there are more. I had the apple watch 3 for 2 months. It replaced my vahr. Needless to say I now have a 935. I just couldnt deal with all of the issues. It was one thing after another and I kept having to find workarounds for everything. It was a major pain. I now use it for music/cellular when I run/bike and wear my 935 on my wrist to track. I also wear the 935 all day - it looks better in my opinion and still sends me texts and such like the AW did. The only time I see myself only wearing AW and no garmin device is when I surf because of the cellular and I don't want to be the guy surfing with two watches, otherwise, I would.
Last edited by: surferdude: Jan 13, 18 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen the Garmin 645? Will you be buying that? Sounds like itll solve all your problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Have you seen the Garmin 645? Will you be buying that? Sounds like itll solve all your problems.

I am just going to stick to the 935 for now. I really like it - functionality and looks. Probably not going to get another watch until Garmin has cellular...which I expect to happen late 2018/early 2019.

The crazy thing about the problems I have the AW is that they are all software issues that apple could fix...they just choose not to and they are aware of them (at least DC said he told them)
Last edited by: surferdude: Jan 13, 18 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Also, I have the earpods and that is what started this whole process. They are so unbelievably amazing, its mind blowing.

Can u tell me a little more about the AirPods? I was always hesitant as I thought they would fall out easily once I start sweating, and also I sweat a LOT and as they aren’t sweat/water resistant figured they would get trashed quite quickly if I used them for training?
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Can u tell me a little more about the AirPods? I was always hesitant as I thought they would fall out easily once I start sweating, and also I sweat a LOT and as they aren’t sweat/water resistant figured they would get trashed quite quickly if I used them for training?

AirPods are amazing. I use them all the time while training. There is no cord weight to pull them from your ear so they stay in pretty snug.

I use them in the summer in Arizona(it’s hot) with no issues with sweat.

A buddy of mine had his go through the washing machine and they worked just fine after.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

I've been using the AirPods since they first came out so just over a year now. I've got about 2500 miles running with them. Much of that is through hot, sticky, humid and sweaty Houston weather but also includes through many rain storms, including Harvey. Haven't lost one yet and they still work perfectly. I only use one when running.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch Users [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks for the feedback guys!! Might have to get a pair now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing i forgot to mention (that i saw others talk about) was that with my series 2, the HR tracking with just the watch was absolutely laughable. it could NEVER figure out my heart rate. during a run or bike it was all over the place. with a chest strap it was fine of course. this was true for both my and my wife's apple watch 2.

i know you (the OP) said HR tracking wasnt a big deal but im just putting it out there for the conversation for others to see.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next