Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Interval Rest
Quote | Reply
Was having a debate and need some insight. When working through a swim set, what is the proper rest in the following workout between sets? Do you follow the prescribed rest from the set you are finishing? Do you follow the prescribed rest from the upcoming set? Do you rest a different amount of time that is not prescribed in the details of the workout?

350m WU RPE4
10x25 stroke count w/ 10s rest
7x100m RPE6 w/ 5s rest
7x200m RPE8 w/ 45s rest
10x25 kick & rotate w/ 15s rest
350m cool RPE4
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Interval Rest [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no "proper" rest between sets, although typically sets have a break between them unless otherwise specified. otherwise you would write it all as one set, rather than several.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Interval Rest [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK great. Is there a pseudo standard that coaches might use? Or some range? Like 1-2 minutes. Or should it be more like 30-45 seconds? Or maybe it's whatever you need to accomplish the work prescribed in the next set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Or maybe it's whatever you need to accomplish the work prescribed in the next set.

yes

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Jason said no hard and fast rules.

I generally allow a minute to re-explain the goals/times/rpe etc for that one person who wasn’t paying attention at the start of the work out😊

We have digital clocks now at the zero/25 and fifty so we just round up to the next minute.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An easy answer will be, if using RPE, start the next set as soon as you feel RPE 2 or 3...
Calculating recovery heart rate often could also give you a hint of how much rest you need between sets. This should go lower the fitter you get...1-2 minutes sound reasonable for most people, apart from near maximal/maximal efforts.
Hope this helps,
Nik

"Discipline is the highest of all virtues. Only so may strength and desire be counterbalanced and the endeavors of man bear fruit."
Nikos Kazantzakis, The Rock Garden
Last edited by: nikane: Jan 12, 18 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10x25 stroke count w/ 10s rest
7x100m RPE6 w/ 5s rest
7x200m RPE8 w/ 45s rest
10x25 kick & rotate w/ 15s rest //

First of all I hope you actually pick a consistent interval in each case here and not try and count 45 seconds or 15 actual seconds of rest. Like if you are doing 200's on the 3;03 you are going on 3;45/50. I hope the rest is just a guide to hitting a certain interval.

As to rest, well in most actual masters workouts there will be some amount so the coach can explain what is coming next and how you should proceed. I swim on my own and I actually take no rest between most sets, just use the interval I was using in the set. If it is 10x100 @1;30 base, then 5x100 Kick @ 2;00, It is just the amount of time from the last swim to 1;30 and then the kicking starts.

Swimming alone can suck sometimes, well not suck but you need to play little mind games to keep it fresh. So I just try and see how many yards I can get in a certain amount of time, so time between sets becomes like a transition in triathlon, always on the clock.

Really no set rule, depends on the situation and if you have something cool to talk about on the wall with your lane mates...
Quote Reply