Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this...
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My god. That has to be the ugliest brake on earth. Makes the TRP TTV thing look like a perfect 10. This would go perfect with Rappstars hydro SRAM brifters. Just hideous...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nifty!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
My god. That has to be the ugliest brake on earth. Makes the TRP TTV thing look like a perfect 10. This would go perfect with Rappstars hydro SRAM brifters. Just hideous...

I am not a fan of rim brakes in general, but I don't think it looks hideous. I think it looks difficult as you have to design the for around it and make sure the fork is structurally strong. I wouldn't want brakes like this. But, even if I don't like it, I do appreciate folks trying ideas that are outside the box.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha. Sorry I was back in the lab and just got back to my computer. Mehh....it's a rim brake :)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are just an updated version of the magura rim brake that has been around forever (HS11 and HS33). They worked great back then and I'm sure they work great on ebikes too. Not elegant but they do work well as long as you have a stiff enough mounting points- when installed on lightweight frames you could see the brake bend the seatstays when using the brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting quote on the UCI Youtube channel that made me think of you Mr A.

While watching the Trials WC, the commentator discussed how all the finalists used hydraulic rim brakes over discs as they found improved stopping power.

The co commentator then commented that they where really all the same, except rim brakes use a larger disc.

It's only impossible if you stop to think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty proud of myself the one time I beat Bryan to the punch. It ain’t easy.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
My god. That has to be the ugliest brake on earth. Makes the TRP TTV thing look like a perfect 10.

Oh Kiley, I'm disappointed (although, not actually surprised) at your lack of "vision" on this..you're looking at the backside of a fork, and on a city bike, no less. You don't think that a version actually designed for a TT/Tri bike wouldn't be able to be sleeker?

You're missing the fact that those silver release levers eliminate all concerns over tire clearance for even VERY large tires...even up to MTB sizes ;-)

Besides, saying this thing is "ugly" is like complaining that an A-10 Warthog isn't as "pretty" as a fighter jet. The thing is, for it's intended purpose, it's functionally BADASS.

kileyay wrote:
This would go perfect with Rappstars hydro SRAM brifters. Just hideous...

Aaah...but you're forgetting that hydraulic rim brakes don't require reservoirs. In fact, something similar to the RT6/8 levers would work. Much less "hideous".

If Magura was smart, they'd produce road bike levers for these brakes and/or the RT6/8 brakes that have cutouts in the lever body to mount either Di2 sprint buttons or eTap blips...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
kileyay wrote:

I am not a fan of rim brakes in general, but I don't think it looks hideous. I think it looks difficult as you have to design the for around it and make sure the fork is structurally strong. I wouldn't want brakes like this. But, even if I don't like it, I do appreciate folks trying ideas that are outside the box.

Well...for equal braking torques, each of those mounts on that fork only need to be able to handle ~1/6 the force as would a disc caliper mount down on a single fork leg.

So, if you're not concerned about disc mount fork strength, then you should be at least 1/6 LESS worried about this one...not to mention the mounting structure is located at a more naturally stiff/strong part of the fork than down at the end of the leg...

Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Haha. Sorry I was back in the lab and just got back to my computer. Mehh....it's a rim brake :)

Aaah...not just any brake though, but by many objective measures one of the best bicycle brakes performance-wise out there (look up the max braking power)...of any type.

As mentioned above, there are reasons trials riders still use these...foremost of which are braking power and "modulation".

Here's what I think is interesting...this is just a bit of a "repackaging" of their current technology to take advantage of an integrated mount in the fork and frame. Imagine if they spent just 1/10 of the development effort that Shimano/SRAM have spent on road disc brakes over the past 5-6 years to come up with a down-sized version of the HS...

As you like to say, "I trust the engineers to be able to figure out a way to make that smaller/better." ;-)

Do you remember how the Cervelo guys tried to tell us that it's not possible to use a rim brake and keep the leading edge shapes of the fork and headtube on the P5X? Well, that picture above implies it's not quite as impossible as they had assumed (an assumption most likely based on the use of a brake mounted to the front of the fork).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I was worried about the up and down structure of the fork. If you take half of it away, you are relying on the other half. That is ok, as long as your fork is big and/or you plan the structural integrity around it.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Aaah...but you're forgetting that hydraulic rim brakes don't require reservoirs. In fact, something similar to the RT6/8 levers would work. Much less "hideous". "

Unless these are a hydro/cable hybrid I don't see how you get away without a reservoir on the lever.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised BryanD is sleeping on this... [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
"Aaah...but you're forgetting that hydraulic rim brakes don't require reservoirs. In fact, something similar to the RT6/8 levers would work. Much less "hideous". "

Unless these are a hydro/cable hybrid I don't see how you get away without a reservoir on the lever.

Hydro rim don't require reservoirs for heat expansion nor pad adjustment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's old is new again? My mate rode a Magura set like those on his mtn bike back 00/01. Worked ok, but that was early days before many were riding disks.

Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
So, if you're not concerned about disc mount fork strength, then you should be at least 1/6 LESS worried about this one...not to mention the mounting structure is located at a more naturally stiff/strong part of the fork than down at the end of the leg...

Yep!
Quote Reply