Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms
Quote | Reply
Looks like Life Time Fitness thinks is ending its practice of tuning its TVs to cable news, stating that watching it limits 'a healthy way of life.'

Hear, hear! ;-)

“It is always our goal to meet the majority of members’ expressed requests and we believe this change is consistent with the desires of overall membership as well as our healthy way of life philosophy,” the statement from the Fitness Chain read.

There have been studies linking cable news watching with mental unrest in the viewer. Gee; ya think?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what psychologists would say about the mental 'healthiness' of engaging in internet forum arguments?
I gotta figure the Lavender Room is the psychological equivalent of Crack Cocaine.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I wonder what psychologists would say about the mental 'healthiness' of engaging in internet forum arguments?
I gotta figure the Lavender Room is the psychological equivalent of Crack Cocaine.

Oh, you're absolutely right about that, my friend. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

More like crystal meth and bath salts....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the nature of most (all?) modern news broadcasts I don't understand why any business establishment would have them on, but it still seems to be fairly typical. Although the last time I had to wait at the auto shop they had on some sports show and I'm pretty sure I lost a few IQ points just by being exposed to it. A bunch of half-wits seemingly trying to out do one another with who could be more outrageous with their opinions about this or that trivial sporting story of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I truly thought that I would open this thread and read an explanation about the news causing too many arguments and fights at the gym. It wouldn't surprise me a bit in our tribal, politically charged climate. What a pleasant surprise to see that it's just the business being smart and putting limits on the stupidity in their environment!

big kahuna wrote:
Looks like Life Time Fitness thinks is ending its practice of tuning its TVs to cable news, stating that watching it limits 'a healthy way of life.'

Hear, hear! ;-)

“It is always our goal to meet the majority of members’ expressed requests and we believe this change is consistent with the desires of overall membership as well as our healthy way of life philosophy,” the statement from the Fitness Chain read.

There have been studies linking cable news watching with mental unrest in the viewer. Gee; ya think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like we need more Food Network at the gym!!

Quote | Reply
at my old gym, I usually looked for a treadmill that was in front of a fishing show. (We love our fishing shows up here) That way I could pretend I was outside.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
at my old gym, I usually looked for a treadmill that was in front of a fishing show. (We love our fishing shows up here) That way I could pretend I was outside.

When I do my half hour on the trainer in the morning I've been watching videos of some guy hiking the AT, actually this is the second one I've watched. Talk about living vicariously through others :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've wondered at what point the ubiquitous cable news broadcasts would start disappearing from public places. A few months back I had my 4 and 8 year old boys in McD's for a quick breakfast, sitting about ten feet from a CNN broadcast in which the anchor was discussing ISIS beheadings, mass executions, etc. This was adjacent to the kids play area. And a few days ago, MSNBC was on maybe 20 different screens in my gym, when the host quoted The Mooch back to himself, reminding him that he not too long ago told Bannon to "suck his own penis" In those words.

At this point cable news has become the background soundtrack to everyday life. It really needs to stop. Good for them.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 11, 18 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some members are protesting the new policy.

LTF's response...

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've wondered at what point the ubiquitous cable news broadcasts would start disappearing from public places. A few months back I had my 4 and 8 year old boys in McD's for a quick breakfast, sitting about ten feet from a CNN broadcast in which the anchor was discussing ISIS beheadings, mass executions, etc. This was adjacent to the kids play area. And a few days ago, MSNBC was on maybe 20 different screens in my gym, when the host quoted The Mooch back to himself, reminding him that he not too long ago "told him to suck his own penis." In those words.

At this point cable news has become the background soundtrack to everyday life. It really needs to stop. Good for them.

When we visit my parents, my Dad often has either the local news or Fox News on. This is pretty much the only time I ever see the news. It always strikes me how uninformative it is and how inappropriate it is for kids. I also think it is the major reason we have such a fearful populace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen. I hate having a TV on when I workout unless it's showing sports. One day box Fox News and that show with the blonde woman and Seacrest were on while I rode the stationary bike. I literally yelled down to the desk that they needed to change it, which they did. I think we'd all be better off with less TV.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is, was it a response to a few complaints that "Faux News is hate speech, and is literally assaulting me."
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sideways wrote:
Like we need more Food Network at the gym!!

Hahahahahaha! Post of the thread!

And my wife would agree with you. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:
I've wondered at what point the ubiquitous cable news broadcasts would start disappearing from public places. A few months back I had my 4 and 8 year old boys in McD's for a quick breakfast, sitting about ten feet from a CNN broadcast in which the anchor was discussing ISIS beheadings, mass executions, etc. This was adjacent to the kids play area. And a few days ago, MSNBC was on maybe 20 different screens in my gym, when the host quoted The Mooch back to himself, reminding him that he not too long ago "told him to suck his own penis." In those words.

When we visit my parents, my Dad often has either the local news or Fox News on. This is pretty much the only time I ever see the news. It always strikes me how uninformative it is and how inappropriate it is for kids. I also think it is the major reason we have such a fearful populace.

A lot of things are inappropriate for kids. What gets me is you might watch something appropriate, like a baseball or basketball game which is appropriate for kids but then you get these commercials that are not. I try to record or delay watching most live sports because of this and FF thru the breaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We cancelled cable maybe 7 years ago.
2 years ago we moved, put our tv in the rental suite downstairs, and never replaced it. We haven't missed it one bit.

Now when I'm somewhere that has TV on, it almost baffles me that people sit in front of one of those things and stare at 75% ads and 25% content for hours each day.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Some members are protesting the new policy.

LTF's response...

Pretty much; Life Time-we're open to anybody, but we're not for everybody.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Hear, hear! ;-)

Each TV has an FM frequency associated with it so that people can listen to the audio on their headphones. But who has a radio receiver anymore?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
The question is, was it a response to a few complaints that "Faux News is hate speech, and is literally assaulting me."

Nope- the guy on the left, Bahram Akradi, is the CEO and founder. What he says, goes. Having emigrated from Iran and achieved the American Dream the hard way, he's earned the right to make that judgement call.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Chain Ends Cable News Broadcasts in its Gyms [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've wondered at what point the ubiquitous cable news broadcasts would start disappearing from public places. A few months back I had my 4 and 8 year old boys in McD's for a quick breakfast, sitting about ten feet from a CNN broadcast in which the anchor was discussing ISIS beheadings, mass executions, etc. This was adjacent to the kids play area. And a few days ago, MSNBC was on maybe 20 different screens in my gym, when the host quoted The Mooch back to himself, reminding him that he not too long ago told Bannon to "suck his own penis" In those words.

I quit cable news some time ago and I don't miss it. My dad, however, has MSNBC on 24/7. He's even starting to look like Rick Madcow. I mean, "Rachel Maddow." ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with this in principle. I've had a membership at LA Fitness for years that just got canceled because a VillaSports just opened up which is on an exponential magnitude of better than LA Fitness.

Anyhoo... the TVs in the locker rooms at LA Fitness were always tuned into Fox News or CNN. Which always leads to peanut gallery commentary that has been often cringeworthy.

VillaSports only has sports on in the locker room and hot tub areas. I'm not sure if it's a policy or not but it's nice not to have to listen to the political beliefs of the yahoo standing naked in the locker room next to me.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 12, 18 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it doesn't matter which channel is on, it is going to piss off about half the people. I think places also need to be aware that even having it on tends to imply the place agrees with that particular viewpoint. If you go into a McD's with Fox or MSNBC on, you have to know someone there made the choice to put that particular show on for a reason. Probably not like me (I watch a lot of Fox News) that wants to know what the 'other side' is thinking about a topic.

That is part of why Citizens United never really scared me that much. Most companies just want to sell stuff. Taking a hard stand on many issues gets in the way of selling stuff.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply