Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th)
Quote | Reply
If you're into watching people self-inflict pain, feel free to watch the live stream of me going for the Danish hour record tomorrow, Thursday January 11th at 5:30pm local time, which should be 11:30am EST. The current Danish record is 52.311 km set by Mikkel Bjerg.

There's an FB page about my attempt where there should come a link to the live stream: facebook.com/Tofthour. The stream should also come at feltet.dk. The commentary will be Danish, but hopefully they will show some split times or the like so non-Danes can still follow a bit.

It's going to be a bit of high pressure at 1023mb according to the current forecast, which is a bit annoying after several weeks of less than 1000mb, but it could be worse - Friday it will be more than 1030mb. They are working on heating the track as I write this...

I'll try to answer questions here, but am probably somewhat occupied on focussing on the attempt :)
Last edited by: MTM: Jan 10, 18 2:57
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck...go fast, turn left!
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Martin, good luck for your attempt! May i ask you to share some photos of your bike setup if you dont mind? Will you be using the argon again?

Lucas Hoffman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck!

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck from the ST age grouper fan club, and watching a guy living a full age group life working as an engineer in a medical startup up and racing and beating full time pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can answer some pre race questions:

1. Target lap time
  2. Target RPM
  3. What gearing
  4. How do you gauge your speed.....do you have a metronome virtually locked into your brain where you "listen" to the beat like a musician
  5. Implicit in question 2 and 3 is your target speed, but help us with that calculation
  6. What heart rate do you expect to hold at the target gearing and RPM
  7. Is this attempt at sea level
  8. What is the surface of the track
  9. What is the velodrome temperature and barometric pressure?

I won't bother asking questions about equipment etc. I figure those thing will be obvious once we "see" what is going on. My questions above are items we can't just see on the stream but relevent to the human performance.

Best of luck. Love the hour record attempts. Even cooler to have an STer going at it at the elite level.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [Hoffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffy wrote:
Hi Martin, good luck for your attempt! May i ask you to share some photos of your bike setup if you dont mind? Will you be using the argon again?

Thanks!

I will be using the Argon 18 again, this time in small, though (allows me a bit more flexibility in terms of position changes, though the current setup doesn't need the lower stack). It's largely the same bike setup with the biggest change probably being the use of my aero road SRM crank set, which then means I use a 58/14T gearing and road chain instead of 54/13T gearing and track chain. There's also a helmet change, but you'll have to see the live stream to see what that is ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

1. Target lap time
  2. Target RPM
  3. What gearing
  4. How do you gauge your speed.....do you have a metronome virtually locked into your brain where you "listen" to the beat like a musician
  5. Implicit in question 2 and 3 is your target speed, but help us with that calculation

I won't bother asking questions about equipment etc. I figure those thing will be obvious once we "see" what is going on. My questions above are items we can't just see on the stream but relevent to the human performance.

Best of luck. Love the hour record attempts. Even cooler to have an STer going at it at the elite level.

Thanks, Dev.

1. Target lap time

Whatever beats 52.3 km I guess :p I believe that's around 17.15 sec.

2. Target RPM
3. What gearing

58/14. That should result in something like 101-102 rpm at 52.5 kph.

4, How do you gauge your speed.....do you have a metronome virtually locked into your brain where you "listen" to the beat like a musician

I will get current lap time and average speed so far displayed on a screen at the track side.

I will most likely start out targeting 52.5 kph and then adjust from there once I'm perhaps 20-30 min. in. 52.5 kph should be possible even with the somewhat high pressure, but with a bit of luck I will be able to go 53 kph. But the focus is on beating the Danish record so I won't start out targetting 53 kph - if it was low pressure I might have. With a bit of luck I will do ~2100 W/m2.

I use HR as output, not input. I will probably end up at something like 175-178 bpm average.

Yes. It's in Ballerup Super Arena (outside Copenhagen, Denmark), 35 metres or so above sea level I believe.

Wood. Apparently not the fastest wood out there, though.

I have asked for 27C, but they haven't promised anything. Sea level pressure looks like it will be 1023mb in which case it should be ~1020mb on the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, will be watching. Turn left and dodge the sponges!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello MTM and All,

Go Martin!! Good luck .....

Hope the parts work OK for you.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. I will be watching!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

1. Target lap time
  2. Target RPM
  3. What gearing

Thanks, Dev.

1. Target lap time

Whatever beats 52.3 km I guess :p I believe that's around 17.15 sec.

2. Target RPM
3. What gearing

58/14. That should result in something like 101-102 rpm at 52.5 kph.

4, How do you gauge your speed.....do you have a metronome virtually locked into your brain where you "listen" to the beat like a musician

I will get current lap time and average speed so far displayed on a screen at the track side.

I will most likely start out targeting 52.5 kph and then adjust from there once I'm perhaps 20-30 min. in. 52.5 kph should be possible even with the somewhat high pressure, but with a bit of luck I will be able to go 53 kph. But the focus is on beating the Danish record so I won't start out targetting 53 kph - if it was low pressure I might have. With a bit of luck I will do ~2100 W/m2.

I use HR as output, not input. I will probably end up at something like 175-178 bpm average.

Yes. It's in Ballerup Super Arena (outside Copenhagen, Denmark), 35 metres or so above sea level I believe.

Wood. Apparently not the fastest wood out there, though.

I have asked for 27C, but they haven't promised anything. Sea level pressure looks like it will be 1023mb in which case it should be ~1020mb on the track.

I became a fan of this event when Moser did 51.151km back in ~1985 at Mexico City on concrete....thus my questions about surface, altitude, barometric pressure and temperature. Best of luck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the synoptic chart, It looks stormy, so at least there’ll be a little bit more natural humidity. The pressure will be 1022-1023hPa (1018-1019 at the stadium) and fairly steady by then, as you say.

All the best.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you on your quest. I feel that you will do very well.
I will try to watch at least some of your effort.
Every since Jensie tried the hour, the event has gotten new attention. A bunch of us at work were so focused on that effort that not much got done. I won't have that liberty tomorrow, but wish you the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, looks like the old poc helmet gets the nod?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang that's pretty aero!

Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed, and in the pictures from his last attempt a while back he also had a really low head position like that.
That's really tough to do on the track and still hold a good line. Impressive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The commentators are saying 52.544

(edit: 52.574 seems to be the official number)
Last edited by: fb: Jan 11, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New danish record and the fourth fastest time (ahead of Rohan Dennis) since the rule changes in 2014.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Congrats. That must have been awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing achievement, congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice, congrats!

Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Dang that's pretty aero!

is that a wrinkle on the sleeve? /pink

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great performance! Can you share some of your experience during the event? How much do you think is still on the table to improve?

Now time for a go fund me to beat the fastest time on a faster track!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fock! I missed it. Guess that will teach me to check ST more often. I definitely don't want to miss your next HR attempt.

Great job! Teach that youngster Bjerg who's the boss! You gotta be cool to wear that big orange helmet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next