Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you display your medals and trophies
Quote | Reply
I am looking for ideas to display some of my medals and what place better to ask than Slowtwitch!

Please share a photo of how you display your medals and trophies!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
I am looking for ideas to display some of my medals and what place better to ask than Slowtwitch!

on your Dress Blues

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am playing Call of Duty and the answer has been staring at me all day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sock drawer

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanging on a coat rack in the laundry room.

I'm going to make some sort of hanger for all of them, but nothing spectacular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a medal, trophy, or awards kind of guy. I just toss mine in a box in my closet.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mainly cupboard, but a few went as fridge magnets
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even with my race friends, no one cares about trophies and medals in my circle so I have a relatively muted display. I have a nice display case for the big medals and trophies that sits in the pain cave that only I see. I have a big plastic tote housing the rest of the medals. Happy with both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago I donated a couple of boxes of probably over a hundred various medals from triathlons, run races, bike races/rides, and various other events to a charity that repurposes them for kids with cancer.

Any that I've kept (very few) are in a box somewhere. The only ones that are out are my first IM and first Kona. Those are in my home office in the shadow box thingy they sell at the expo.

These days though I try not to even get a medal at all. If I'm still mentally functioning I politely decline it. If for some reason I end up with one, I usually give it off to a random kid in the post race area. They love it.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the charity that repurposes medals? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:

There are a few but this is the one I used. Your local special olympics organization will usually take them as well.

https://medals4mettle.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it because its a hassle to get them up and to display them? I am certain there you have stories to tell about some of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of mine are in a shoe box in the closet, because it would look gawdy to display them. I have a few medals out, mainly the ones with bottle opener functions, so that when people are over, they can crack a beer open quickly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing this

How about for medals you want to keep and share with your family and friends?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear them. 24/7.

But seriously, I wonder how may of the cool folks who throw them in the sock draw and the like have Ironman Tattoos or bumper stickers.
Last edited by: imsparticus: Jan 10, 18 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
But seriously, I wonder how may of the cool folks who throw them in the sock and the like have Ironman Tattoos or bumper stickers.

I don't in anyway consider myself one of the "cool folks" because I don't hang onto my medals. I just don't like a bunch of clutter. Drives my wife and kids crazy because I'm always getting rid of stuff. I do have a tattoo but no bumper sticker. Does a license plate frame count? Technically it's not on my car though, it's on my old car that my 17 year old drives.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To a certain extend, I also feel a little gaudy to display them but I feel like I've earned them and they are special to me.

At the end of each race I always look forward to getting the finisher medal and now they end up all tangled up on a lamp...

doesn't sit right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one I display is about 20lbs of polished limestone. I kind of want it off my shelf, its a pyramid shape, so if it ever falls, it will most likely kill the person it lands on and I have young kids.

Best trophies I have received though are the practical ones. For example, I received a custom made cutting board saying 1st place finisher. I use it daily when making salads or other dishes.

The rest of mine go in a shoebox in the utility room, I'm hoping my kids will enjoy looking at them as they get older.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Jan 10, 18 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When only had a couple, I hung them over the door knob and they jangled every time I opened or closed it, which was super annoying

When I got a few more, I hung them on one of those racks that hang over the closet door, but that was STILL too noisy for D'Wife's liking

Now they live in a left-over swag bag, hanging in the back corner of the closet, out of the way & out of sight [& sound]

I would consider giving them away, but D'Kid has Sharpied on the backs things like "Proud of You Dad" or "Great Job Dad" or something like that

GOTTA keep those

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I'm not a medal, trophy, or awards kind of guy. I just toss mine in a box in my closet.

Yea, old box in the garage full of dust. I dont' even stay for the awards, I would rather get home and sleep than wait for a piece of plastic or medal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Yep, mine are sitting in a corner of my workshop in an old plastic bag. There's probably a few others that never made their way there, hiding in the car glove compartment, a kit bag, or a jacket pocket. I'd rather not get medals at all. What are they for? Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that there's now a noticeable trend of events advertising themselves on Facebook and elsewhere on the basis of how nice their medal is?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a bunch of screws in a board and hang them in my pain cave.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:

on your Dress Blues

Hoo-rah/Semper Fi!

I have a couple shoe boxes somewhere. I like mugs and pint classes, I actually use those, bottle openers as well, my favorite kinds of awards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of them are in a box, some of them are displayed on a window crank in my garage, and most are still in the trunk of the car that I drove to the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
michaer27 wrote:

There are a few but this is the one I used. Your local special olympics organization will usually take them as well.

https://medals4mettle.org

thanks I'll try that. My wife will love you, she's trying to find a home for my remaining motocross trophies from a million years ago. On a related note, just last weekend I gave back the plaques that our local triathlon company uses (TBF Racing), so, they can simply put on the appropriate plate for races in the future. I peeled off the ones that were on there and have a very small and manageable stack of plates. My wife is/was trying to figure out something creative to do with them.

My big "keeper" is the coin I got for KQ last summer. It's not much larger than an old silver dollar. Not sure how I'd display it. so, it gathers dust like other stuff; for now.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next