Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

North Carolina College trip advice
Quote | Reply
I am planning on taking a family trip first part of April over spring break so my oldest child can visit several colleges in North Carolina. With a few days for visits, it still leaves a few days of R&R and was looking for advice on options for the back end of the trip. I was thinking a trip to Myrtle beach for 3 or 4 days after visiting schools. Any thoughts or advice on other options for those that are familiar with the area?
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina College trip advice [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:
I am planning on taking a family trip first part of April over spring break so my oldest child can visit several colleges in North Carolina. With a few days for visits, it still leaves a few days of R&R and was looking for advice on options for the back end of the trip. I was thinking a trip to Myrtle beach for 3 or 4 days after visiting schools. Any thoughts or advice on other options for those that are familiar with the area?

Stick to NC - the Outer Banks or beaches around Wilmington are much preferable in my opinion to Myrtle Beach.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What schools will you be visiting?
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina College trip advice [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The list as of now is Duke, NC, WF, Belmont Abbey, Davidson, Salem. This might expand or contract based on logistics, travel, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:
The list as of now is Duke, NC, WF, Belmont Abbey, Davidson, Salem. This might expand or contract based on logistics, travel, etc.

If your interest is small/private (your list minus UNC) I would hit High Point University while in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area. Also, Meredith College in Raleigh and you can drop by the library at NC State (Go Pack!).

I would second the stay in NC for the back half. If you don't want the drive to OBX, check out Wrightsville Beach or Bald Head Island. The Asheville area would be a nice, non-beach option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:

From The University of New Jersey South Campus (Duke) to Myrtle Beach or Outer Banks you are looking at 3-4 hours. I live in Cary (Raleigh is a suburb), so it takes me under 3.5 hours to get to either. We took the kids to Myrtle first week in April last year, and the weather was spectacular. That time of the year, weather and water is a little warmer in Myrtle, and there is more to do. If you are into sight-seeing, drop down to Charleston which is another hour south. You could spit the difference and get a place on Topsail (pronounced Topsul) or Carolina Beach, which are both just North and South of Wilmington. Wilmington has the Battleship Carolina, NC Aquarium and historic Wilmington. Drive time from RDU is 2.5 hours, straight down 40.

You should have decent weather at that time of the year around here - 70's and 80's. The only thing to watch out for is the pine pollen, which can coat everything in a yellow dust (real fun coming back from a ride or run and you are coated in it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:

Diverse list. A favorite choice right now is UNC-W. You could visit that and still be at the beach. It is also a more attainable school from out of state than UNC. Placing a cap on out of state students at our very popular flagship makes it very, very difficult to get admitted.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply