Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, it's just that the monobar preventing the use of aero hydration systems kind of bugs me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s wrong with a BTA?

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I know, it's just that the monobar preventing the use of aero hydration systems kind of bugs me.

I just bought the integrated water cage for the mono extension. It's a little pricey, but I can use my Speedfil A2 bottle with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm putting together my 2018 speed concept, with Ultegra di2, and I installed one brake lever, but the knob thingy at the end of the cable isn't big enough to grab what part of the brake lever that pulls it out when th brakes are applied. What am I missing here?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you got the service instructions for the levers? IIRC the casing feeds the centre of the expander bolt. The pear cable feeds into the barrel that moves up and down in the lever to allow installation.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the service manual. Seems like I've done everything right. I'm stumped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pull the lever and look down in there with a light. should be another little metal piece that the cable actually goes through. i can take some pics when i get home if you don't figure it out
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figured it out. Ya, the metal piece falls down when you put your Allan key in there to tighten it. I wasn't putting the cable through it. 😳
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the t nuts in the mono spacer, do I need to attach the extension to the basebar BEFORE attaching the basebar to the stem or is there a way to attach it after the basebar is on the stem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
With the t nuts in the mono spacer, do I need to attach the extension to the basebar BEFORE attaching the basebar to the stem or is there a way to attach it after the basebar is on the stem

Have you read this?

https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. but that doesn't answer my question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:

Extensions attach to the mono riser before you attach the mono riser to the stem (which secures the base bar). There's no other possible order of operations unless you're some sort of a wizard. One of the reasons I bought the plug-in extension is that I can remove my aero extensions without having to mess with the t-nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have tips for cable length and routing mechanical on a low-near stem? I'm running a 15mm mono-spacer along with a low-near stem and had a bear of a time getting things in and connected only to now be left with a very small steering radius because things are binding up under the stem cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you like the xlab torpedo bta? I am looking around to see what will be best. I am used to the shiv bladder, so I like the idea of the straw being easily lifted to drink and then tucked back down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [riley.bill93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riley.bill93 wrote:
how do you like the xlab torpedo bta? I am looking around to see what will be best. I am used to the shiv bladder, so I like the idea of the straw being easily lifted to drink and then tucked back down.

If you flip the xlab backwards and glue a magnet to both the straw and bottle you can recreate the mechanics of the Shiv bladder.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently bought my first carbon bike, a Trek SC 9 series (1st Gen), and I have heard about potential seat post slippage that can be averted with carbon paste? Given that I am new to the world of carbon, and carbon paste, I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I had always thought this stuff was more of a lubricant to stop the parts sticking together (i.e. like regular grease on a seat post of a aluminium bike), but google searches reveal carbon paste that is advertised as carbon grip, so would help the slippage, or would get my seat post stuck forever?! Any help would be appreciated - and brands or specific types of paste that people could recommend for this job?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BikedPotato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your seat won't get stuck. Your LBS should have carbon paste. Toothpaste works as well in a pinch.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [riley.bill93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riley.bill93 wrote:

I like it quite a bit. Admittedly I find that I just leave the staw loose most of the time during a race instead of tucking it in.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If any one has a gen 1 100x45 stem they are not using pls pm me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.finishlineusa.com/...products/fiber-grip-

Carbon Paste/Carbon Grip (fiber grip) are one in the same. Parts won't bond together and they won't slip.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Your seat won't get stuck. Your LBS should have carbon paste. Toothpaste works as well in a pinch.

SiRcivic27 wrote:
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/specialty-products/fiber-grip-

Carbon Paste/Carbon Grip (fiber grip) are one in the same. Parts won't bond together and they won't slip.

Thanks!
Last edited by: BikedPotato: Jan 4, 18 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help so far - I have another quick(ish) question. I'm trying to get up to speed with all the BB maintenance stuff, so please bear with me:

I suspect I (LBS) may need to do some bottom bracket maintenance. When spinning the cranks without the chain on it sounds a bit "sandy" and doesn't spin for long. I tried to read a bit about the bottom brackets on the first gen SC 9s and it seems like it is BB90? As I said, I'm not particularly well versed in BB tech, but I saw quite a lot of mixed reviews about the BB90 set-up, e.g. lots of grit and dirt getting in, particularly via the non-drive side. Has any solution to that been found? Aftermarket seal or something? What is the recommended long term maintenance strategy for prolonging the life of the bearings and frame?

If I do need to replace the bearings - are there any particular brands/types that people recommend for replacing these particular bearings? Would I just need to buy any 2x BB90 bearings, but not the sleeve (or anything else)? ...or is there a specific Trek BB90 that I have to get?

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!
Last edited by: BikedPotato: Jan 5, 18 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with Enduro ABEC-5 bearings. What sort of crank do you have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'd go with Enduro ABEC-5 bearings. What sort of crank do you have?

Thanks, I have SRAM Red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good. I really like the GXP standard. The Enduro BB90 GXP bearing kit will basically consist of a drive side bearings with a 24mm internal diameter and a non drive side bearing with a 22mm internal diameter (IIRC). You local bike shop will simply remove your existing bearings and press the new ones into your frame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next