Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HarryMan
Quote | Reply
has anyone done this race in New York? timing works great for me but suddenly not liking 6000' of climbing on a 70.3. but if its a great race.... worth considering.
Quote Reply
Re: HarryMan [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am considering it as well... Like you, 6000ft of climbing for a half seems like a lot of work!
Quote Reply
Re: HarryMan [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.....

Did this race a good few years ago, really enjoyed it. I think the bike course is different now, but it was definitely hard. Run was relatively flat as I recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it ~5 years ago. If nothing has changed with the bike course, it's not just the 6000' of climbing, it's also the fact that each loop starts with a big downhill, a relatively tight U turn where you lose most of your speed, and then you have to climb back up. So you can't even use the speed you gained going downhill to carry you back uphill at all. The swim has the potential to be pretty chilly depending. That being said, it did make Syracuse and LP seem easy after completing Harryman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump to this thread. Would be interested in hearing any thoughts that people have on HarryMan. Considering doing the Olympic distance, but debating whether to do HarryMan or Jerseyman (which both take place the same weekend).
Quote Reply
Re: HarryMan [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the Olympic quite a few years ago. The swim was REALLY cold. I believe the swim has been canceled a few time since then. Bike had hills, but most races in the area so. If I recall correctly, there was one long fairly steep hill that you did twice for the Olympic. Can't really remember anything meaningful on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: HarryMan [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Did the Olympic quite a few years ago. The swim was REALLY cold. I believe the swim has been canceled a few time since then. Bike had hills, but most races in the area so. If I recall correctly, there was one long fairly steep hill that you did twice for the Olympic. Can't really remember anything meaningful on the run.
Thanks! That's very helpful. I assume the swim isn't anything a neoprene cap couldn't handle? I need to get an early-season race in somewhere in the tri-state area and imagine there aren't that many options aside from HarryMan. Open to any suggestions that other Slowtwitchers may have!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your willing to give up the swim.

America zofingen duathlon.

Short course takes about 3 hours. Lots of steep hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
If your willing to give up the swim.

America zofingen duathlon.

Short course takes about 3 hours. Lots of steep hills.
Thanks. Looks like a great race, but I primarily need the open water swim experience (first triathlon season and jumping straight to IMLP in July, so need as much open water swimming as I can get!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then Rev3 quassy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Then Rev3 quassy.
Yep! Planning on it. But Rev3 is in June. Would like to squeeze in at least one Olympic before then. HarryMan looks pretty good apart from the freezing swim! Not sure if I want that to be my first openwater experience...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race a few times when it first started about a decade ago. Great race. One year it was totally epic with pouring rain and about 49-degree temps.

It looks like you said you are training for Lake Placid. The course for the race is the perfect place to train for Lake Placid. 15-mile loop with hard hills and great scenery that you can repeat many times without stopping for traffic, lock your bike in the car and do a brick. Used to go there every weekend to train.

Only issue with the race is the cold water swim could lead to panic-attack which would be discouraging going into Lake Placid. 2 swim caps and a pair of booties and get a real good warm up in and don't try to start the swim too fast and you should be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race a few times. Cold often long swim. Very hilly tough bike ride that was 59 miles long, run has also been hilly. this is a very tough half. I don't know if that is good or bad for you. It is a great tune up for IMLP. Also very scenic if you like riding by lakes and through forest. There are some fun downhills on the bike.
Other pluses are it doesn't sell out, its is cheap, easy parking, not crowded, and some recently repaved roads. Its a well run race with a small hard core following.
Other negatives: not good for spectators as there are no services in the park. The weather has been tough.
Quote Reply