Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydration options while running
Quote | Reply
I have a fuel belt with two 10 ounce bottles that I got a few months ago. Also have a nathan speedmax plus handheld that holds 22 ounces of water. I have yet to combine both the fuel belt and handheld together on longer runs. Looking at other options for longer runs when it warms up in the spring. I used the nathan handheld on a 10 mile run a few weeks ago and ran out of water about mile 8 or so. It wasn't crazy warm out but still sucked running out of water on the greenways with no refill station in sight.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration options while running [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check into the ultrarunning forums world. Those folks go 3, 6, 10 miles or more between aid stations. They have the gear to carry water long distances nailed.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration options while running [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was gonna say that too...the mountain runners and ultra runners...they make a ultra light camel back that has multiole communicating chambers on front of chest as well as your back....less bounce and feels weightless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydration vest could be your answer. Nathan, Salomon, Orange Mud, Ultimate Direction, etc. tons of choices. Vest style is the way to go not backpack style. Vests fit snug and barely move.

Some have front bottle holster options(not much more volume then what you are using now), some just rear bladder, some offer both. Rear bladder could be up to 2L which is a lot of fluids.

My personal favorites are Nathan Vapor Karr and Salomon S/Lab.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration options while running [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking to get a pack too and decided to cruise through the reviews myself. It looks like the best might be a Salomon Skin, which comes in a bunch of sizes. It seems that camelbak's straps need constant adjusting.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run in urban settings: Chicago, Washington, Lexington, KY, Tulsa. I tried to carry very little, and relied either on public water fountains, or, occasionally a runners' group table. I also carried a smaller bottle, JIC, and would fill it if I would be farther away from a usual route with reliable water. If it was a really long run, I'd carry a gel or two.

I'd also know where the toilets were, either Porto-Pots, or fast food. A fast food place is a convenient st op for the toilet, andfor filling up. If there's a self-serve fountain, I'd pay for a large and fill the bottle or a cup if I was traveling light with Powerade, and grab a few salt packets on the way out.

No real need to carry so much unless your out in the middle of nowhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first ultra (50k) is January 7. On my long trail runs I have been carrying a 24oz bottle in a belt that fits in the small of my back, a hand held that is probably 16oz and I start with a disposable water bottle in the other hand. That lasts me 20+ miles when it’s cool. Any warmer and I stash fluids and do loops, either 5k or 10k. Then I just use the bottle on my back. I don’t use on course aid much unless it's my only choice or I am desperate.

I did get a camelback vest for Xmas but haven’t tried it yet. It does look very promising.
Quote Reply