Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018
Quote | Reply
  We're going to do this again '16 and '17 being so successful. I can tell you from personal experience that for many of us, our relationship with alcohol is a little embarrassing. Even if you're about to have something serious like an operation, being open about the amount some of us drink - something important to know at that time - is difficult to accurately reveal. Even to your medical team whom you know won't tell anybody. They just can't.

The only rule is that for the month of January you abstain. No beer, no wine, nada. It's usually pointed out that in some social situation there's a perceived peer pressure to drink. You're not one of the gang if you don't. Well, I can tell you it's a piece of cake to be one of the gang and alcohol-free. Those of you who can take or leave alcohol can be the supporters, the crutches if you will, to those of us where this is going to be real work. But work with a positive outcome. If you've done this either of the past two Januarys, you know that the first 3 days are the hardest, especially day 2. Then, later, when you're in a situation, post-ride at Joe's house where you always down a couple of Kona Long Boards or perhaps the dinner at the nice restaurant with your in-laws where you're handed the wine menu before your butt has even had a chance to warm the seat, that you have the fortitude to just get a Pepsi.

Two years ago I was asked to write this piece on alcohol for IRONMAN and most of it is still applcable. http://www.ironman.com/...ol-free-january.aspx

So, if you are at all interested, it's easier if you don't have the dreaded booze in the house. Drink it this week, drop it off in your sister in Maryland's house. Something.

Best of luck to you. Best of luck to us.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In,

Gave up last Jan the 1st for 3.5 months. Felt great and training was good and lost 7kgs (15 lbs for my metrically challenged friends). One beer means I can't train the next morning I drink probably 3-4 nights a week never more than 6 beers or a a glass or two of wine but I react very badly to alchole always have done.

Thanks for organising.

G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. I love red wine and as I get closer to races, I usually stop having any 2 months out mostly to help myself lose the last 2-3 pounds to get back down to race weight. This would help me start that 4 months out so I am in. Thanks for posting about this.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if you're just a "normie" (aka, not an alcoholic), this is a great experiment to see how your life/health can change. About 30% of the US doesn't drink at all, while 5-10% are true "alcoholics" with a small percentage of those actually in recovery. The rest of us fall somewhere in between. If you have trouble during the challenge and ever wondered if you might be an alcoholic, AA has a simple quiz: https://www.aa.org/...-only-you-can-answer Good luck and Happy New Year!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i gave up alcohol, for all practical purposes, about a decade ago, when i had a lot of afib trouble. i will have a beer several times a year, tho in 2017 i don't remember having one. i'll take a sip of my wife's glass of wine, and that sip is about enough.

i gave up pork a few years ago. i gave up all meat (land or air based) in 2017. (still eat fish.) i'm not finding any of my absentions difficult. peer pressure? i gave that up a long time ago.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out. Been sober since Columbus Day Weekend, 1981. I probably average less than 2 drinks each week. It tend to go up when I'm at the beach. Been over a week without one now, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Ah Dave, another “holier-than-thou” post. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but to many of us, a nice glass of wine with dinner or enjoying a nice beer most definitely adds value to one’s life. Don’t for a second assume that just because it’s not your cup of tea that it’s “zero value” to everyone. Good lord man, it must be difficult climbing on that high horse every damn day.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Ah Dave, another “holier-than-thou” post. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but to many of us, a nice glass of wine with dinner or enjoying a nice beer most definitely adds value to one’s life. Don’t for a second assume that just because it’s not your cup of tea that it’s “zero value” to everyone. Good lord man, it must be difficult climbing on that high horse every damn day.

Not only that, he was first!!!

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Out. Been sober since Columbus Day Weekend, 1981. I probably average less than 2 drinks each week. It tend to go up when I'm at the beach. Been over a week without one now, though.

This post is very confusing......
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Nope, just my opinion. You can snowflake it all you want. Merry Christmas.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

This post is very confusing......

I'm guessing he means sober = not being hammered, so 2 drinks a week probably counts as sober...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am definitely in. Did it last year and highly recommend. My alcohol consumption has been way down this year which for me has been a very good thing. I use to buy a bottle of wine (or two) about every week, but this year it's only been two total. Beer consumption has been way down too. But I'll have to admit my beer consumption has picked up a bit towards the end of the year which i attribute to training for an ultra trail run. there is something about doing long trail miles out in the woods that makes me crave beer! This will be good for a reset. Thanks much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Projection at its finest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

+100
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i gave up alcohol, for all practical purposes, about a decade ago, when i had a lot of afib trouble. i will have a beer several times a year, tho in 2017 i don't remember having one. i'll take a sip of my wife's glass of wine, and that sip is about enough.
i gave up pork a few years ago. i gave up all meat (land or air based) in 2017. (still eat fish.) i'm not finding any of my absentions difficult. peer pressure? i gave that up a long time ago.

I think Dan hit it right on the head. He gave up the PEER PRESSURE.
Amazingly enough there's still a lot of that even in this highly individual achievement of triathlon.
Maybe a good idea for 2018, to leave the peer pressure behind, live and let live (and let Dave Campbell say that he doesn't drink without yelling at him).

Maybe a good idea, instead of bitching at each other, to applaud individual accomplishments, and be inspired, and inspire others. Whether it's to not drink alcohol, do a good early vertical arm in the swim, or win Kona.

edit: fwiw: I have a sXe (straight edge) tattoo on my chest.

NO
Last edited by: Alabama Viking: Dec 25, 17 13:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I won't be joining, I'm a big fan of this challenge bc

-Any time I want to lose weight the first thing I do is quit drinking and watch the first pounds disappear.

-It's a good test for any adult to see if they can go dry for a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [rayman54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rayman54 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

+100

Guess there are 2 of us outsiders in life. :) I do not need peer pressure to do things that have zero value for health in my life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
define "value"? Your definition is different then mine and mine different then the next guys.

Look, not everyone walks your path. Instead of outing everyone other than you as of less than you, if you feel alcohol adds no life value then perhaps offer support to someone who could use a hand in abstaining. Add some value if you will.

Last year i went 20 days and felt great. Then January 20 happened. In mourning i drank. A lot. I look forward to 2018 dry January. Theres no president swearing in to throw me off this year!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to do some reading on what a glass of red wine can do for health and blood circulation
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
define "value"? Your definition is different then mine and mine different then the next guys.

Look, not everyone walks your path. Instead of outing everyone other than you as of less than you, if you feel alcohol adds no life value then perhaps offer support to someone who could use a hand in abstaining. Add some value if you will.

Last year i went 20 days and felt great. Then January 20 happened. In mourning i drank. A lot. I look forward to 2018 dry January. Theres no president swearing in to throw me off this year!

You can run your life your way, but I have the choice to run mine my way. Do you attack everyone that just happens to have a different opinion than yours?

Merry Christmas

Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Might want to do some reading on what a glass of red wine can do for health and blood circulation

I have, and you get conflicting answers.

Again, you are free to do and feel how you like, and I thats great. But I also have the right to feel and do as I like, but if you want to attack, and that makes you
feel better, Merry Christmas

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I attacked you ?

Talk about a snowflake
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I see there are many of us in the same boat on alcohol. Gave up beer in 1992 and what little wine I was having in 2003. Don't miss it for a moment. It was actually very beneficial to no drink when I was traveling to Asia a lot on biz and constant customer dinners with alcohol flowing every nite and infinite expense account. That and trying to get up at 5 am to train on 12 hours of jetlag don't work together, so it actually worked out quite well in terms of just saying, "I don't drink I will have Perrier". That's an easy answer at biz dinners in Korea or Japan. Saying, "I don't want to drink" and the guys are all over you to have some.

In any case if someone said, "You can have this controlled substance that we don't give to children, that is not good for your organs and makes your metabolism slow, makes you fatter, and interferes for a period after consumption with clear thinking and judgement" we probably would not go near that. I kind of regret how much alcohol was flowing and I put inside my body while in the Air Force as it was part of the culture at that time, but I actually quite beer because of all the bogus Air Force peer pressure, not because I hated it. It was more like, "To be a real airman, you have to be able to pound down your alcohol and command the troops"....my response was, "screw that, just because you tell me I have to be able to pound back beers, I'm not going to have it to spite you"....and then I discovered that i did not need it, liked it less than Perrier or sprite, and I felt better the next day, and I was saving a ton of $$$$. I could go to bars and chase women and drink water and actually have all my wits about me...that's when I actually started 'scoring' more LOL!

OK OK....the rest of you guys, hop on the bandwagon...it's the best way to live!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, Dr. John, on this one. Fairly easy as alcohol seems to enhance A-Fib and other anomalous heart symptoms.
Quote Reply

Prev Next