Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells)
Quote | Reply
looks like SoCal will be getting another Ironman branded 70.3 for next December.

http://www.laquintaca.gov/...howdocument?id=36322

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the most interesting aspect of this is reading the official council minutes related to the proposal..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was wondering if this was a take over of the HITS race which occurs typically the week before (for the 2018 race date, the 2019 etc dates are a week alter) at the same venue. But nope, HITS is excepted from the exclusivity clause as a pre existing race.

So, an attempt to smother HITS fire with a WTC branded race? Seems that way and seems to be in line with prior strategies

And holy cow that route? Bike looks a la Tempe 70.3 and the run is just....
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 20, 17 14:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite part was reading about the Ambush Marketing.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Was wondering if this was a take over of the HITS race which occurs typically the week before (for the 2018 race date, the 2019 etc dates are a week alter) at the same venue. But nope, HITS is excepted from the exclusivity clause as a pre existing race.

So, an attempt to smother HITS fire with a WTC branded race? Seems that way and seems to be in line with prior strategies

And holy cow that route? Bike looks a la Tempe 70.3 and the run is just....

WTC doesn't need to apply that strategy to HITS. As a series, it already died with just 2 offerings in Florida, 2 in California and 1 in New York left. However, this could be a death blow to an event that just can't get it right (see reviews of HITS Palm Springs in other ST threads).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I now have the routing number and the bank account number for the WTC bank account. Selling it to Russia in 3.2.1.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does seem like a death blow to HITS the week before. Aside from the organizational issues with the HITS PS race, how many people will want to do a 70.3 race where the water temp is typically in the mid to upper 50's?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite is their math calculation:
"The cost would be $75,000 a year for three years ($150,000)."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does seem like a death blow to HITS the week before. Aside from the organizational issues with the HITS PS race, how many people will want to do a 70.3 race where the water temp is typically in the mid to upper 50's? //

I don't know mike, how many really did the 1/2 at hits anyway? I think the sprint and olympic were there best attended races, and those were in the low hundreds of athletes. And of course the long race was usually a couple dozen at best. Honestly I have no idea how they have kept going all this time anyway, certainly it has been a money loser since day 1. It really has to be someones pride involved with that series as there is no other reason for it to exist. They never really figured out how to put on a decent event after all those years and all those races. I mean it has been great for a few people that get to do a cheap low key race, but how long is this charity to a few athletes going to go on.

Perhaps this will be their out to finally pull the plug, blame it on Ironman. Now a lot of races have a righteous beef with Ironman coming to town and ruining otherwise successful races, but this will not be one of those cases. Or they will just put on the shorter events and the ironman, or some combination of the 3 and just continue, like a chicken with its head cut off, running around the yard not yet knowing it is dead yet..

And I think it is great that a legit race will be coming to town there, so the water is a little cold, whaaa! Not like you have to swim in speedos, 5mm wetsuits with hoods is fine..

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be but at least it was an alternative. I did HITS Palm Springs when it was still run by... can't remember his name... ETA Mark Wilson?? The most recent HITS was by most accounts pretty much a disaster (had a few friends do it but they were less harsh than ST was). You couldn't pay me to do HITS again, but that might just be Lake Cahuilla and PS mornings in December :)

And I can't help but come back to that course..... It looks awful to me. But heck 70.3 brand in Tempe sells out, so people will do it
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 20, 17 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I wish they would do a 140.6....awesome time of year to have one and awesome weather. Not into air travel expense for 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also thought the profile of the ironman "core consumer profile" (247k/yr household income) was fascinating
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
My favorite is their math calculation:
"The cost would be $75,000 a year for three years ($150,000)."

It's per township/host so the math makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this finally settles the "is triathlon participation declining?" question.

“As interest in golf falls by almost every measure, so-called endurance sports — triathlon, running, cycling are exploding in popularity.” - Michael Buteau

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To bad Palm Springs isn't in EMEA (? Europe, Middle East, Asia.. ?) or Latin America. USA and Asia Pac. looks pretty flat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty late in the season even for us So Cal people. Weather has not been great at HITS some years.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article is gone? The link is not working for me....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh. WTC got wise and didn’t want its agreement public maybe , but it should be public record
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or it was the Russians.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
The article is gone? The link is not working for me....
go to the city homepage http://www.laquintaca.gov/...lendar/Event/9829/31 agreement is on the pdf of the agenda, though you will need to scroll down quite a ways.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got mixed feelings...I love the option of a December race since I'm in San Diego. I love the fact it's not HITS. I wish it weren't the dead of SoCal 'winter' where I have to swim in butt-ass cold water. But I like the flatness - at least they didn't put a climb up the freaking canyon like HITS did 2 years ago.

But someone explain that run course - that doesn't look like it's anywhere near Cahuilla.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
separate t1 and t2 - like in most of WTC races

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
separate t1 and t2 - like in most of WTC races

Most? While not infrequent, it isn't close to common in my experience. I've done 12 IMs at 10 different venues, and only 2 venues had a split T1/T2. I've done even more 70.3s and can only think of two of those that had a split T1/T2. So I'm going to have to say that few WTC races have separate T1 and T2.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Palm Springs (actually La Quinta/Indian Wells) [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They reposted it without the bank wire instructions......or the Russians did it. The agreement starts on pg 179

http://www.laquintaca.gov/...howdocument?id=36368

It's okay I still have the screen shot.
Last edited by: Gonefishin5555: Dec 21, 17 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Except for IMAZ, every single WTC race I have done had a split t1/t2 setup. Logistically it is probably an easier arrangement, though it is probably costlier.

Quote Reply

Prev Next