Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lads were that young and younger watching the movies on DVD. However, DH thought it would be a good idea to take them to the theater when they were 5 and 7 to The Force Awakens. And DH had seen the movie first. Super bad idea. #1, it was way too loud for them #2, the open scene of genocide terrified them and #3, my eldest literally lost his shit when Han Solo died.

They're now 7 and 9 and really want to see The Last Jedi in the theater. I think we'll give it another chance and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
my eldest
literally lost his shit
when Han Solo died.

That must have been messy.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
my eldest
literally lost his shit
when Han Solo died.

not if he lost it. that means he couldn't find it.

This shit that he lost, was it his own shit or just some shit that he found and brought home?

generally, the best way to find something that you lost is to retrace your steps. But sometimes I'll lose something (usually not my shit though) when it slides in between the sofa cushions. Make sure you check there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 7, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
my eldest
literally lost his shit
when Han Solo died.

Well it would have been messy, somewhere...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
my eldest
literally lost his shit
when Han Solo died.

maybe it fell out of his pocket on the way home?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
my eldest
literally lost his shit
when Han Solo died.

No, he lost his shit when Han Solo died. It must be under the seat. I don't think he looked all that hard to find his shit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
my eldest
literally lost his shit
when Han Solo died.

No, he lost his shit when Han Solo died. It must be under the seat. I don't think he looked all that hard to find his shit.

Maybe it just got up and walked away..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't scared him for life already, the movie won't be much of a big deal.

I'm 34. Pretty sure I was 6 or close to when I saw it. Sparked an interest in space and sci-fi geek stuff that lasted most of my childhood.

Now, the first Jurassic Park scared the ever loving shit out of me. I think I was in grade 4. That first scene with the raptor pen...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BarryP wrote:
I saw it in the theater when I was 4. Perfectly fine. Its enough to get the kids to understand the concept of good and evil, death of loved ones, why we go to war, etc. etc. without being traumatizing.

Now, watching Alien when I was 6? What the hell was my mom thinking?!

Yeah, my dad took me to see Alien when I was about 9. It was a space movie, and I liked space stuff, so sounds like a great idea, right?

I spent the whole movie under the seat.

That was me during Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. I was 8. Temple of Doom is practically a horror flick, nothing like the first movie at all.

x2. I loved Indiana Jones, but I had nightmares from Temple of Doom. I think it was mainly the oversized bugs thing then the whole blood drinking brain washing.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Our, then five year old, and I went through episodes 4, 5, 6 when Mrs S was on a business trip. I just made a deal with him that when I said to turn his head he did. It helps that I'm a SW nerd and know the movies by heart.

Now 6 he really wants to watch the clone wars animated show..not sure where I stand on those just yet in terms of a kid his age.

He has also seen The Force Awakens while we were on a Disney cruise (don't do one of those btw) with the same turn your head criteria..especially when papa solo gets it..dont need Jr getting those ideas in his head just yet.

My son started watching them after I took him to Force Awakens. IMO they are a bit tamer then the movies but there's still some violence in there.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Our, then five year old, and I went through episodes 4, 5, 6 when Mrs S was on a business trip. I just made a deal with him that when I said to turn his head he did. It helps that I'm a SW nerd and know the movies by heart.

Now 6 he really wants to watch the clone wars animated show..not sure where I stand on those just yet in terms of a kid his age.

He has also seen The Force Awakens while we were on a Disney cruise (don't do one of those btw) with the same turn your head criteria..especially when papa solo gets it..dont need Jr getting those ideas in his head just yet.

My son started watching them after I took him to Force Awakens. IMO they are a bit tamer then the movies but there's still some violence in there.

Agreed..I threw it on last night and decided it's OK for him. We also started Star Wars Rebels which, so far, is surprisingly good!

There is also the older Clone Wars series which I watched years back. I believe it was by Genndy Tarkowsky (spelling is probably off but it's the guy who did Samurai Jack) which is worth checking out. Interesting format with 3-4 minute episodes (but a ton of episodes). Probably shown during commercials originally on Adult Swim or something like that.

God dam I'm a nerd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I've been reading about watching in Machete order and I like it.

Throw out episode I. It's terrible and doesn't add anything to the story.

Watch IV, V, II, III, VI

The guy who made this up explains why it works here http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/...ested-viewing-order/

I like how he sums up the entire post...

Shortly after first writing this post, I discovered my college-aged brother-in-law's girlfriend had never seen any Star Wars films and wanted to watch them all over winter break. Armed with the new Blu-rays, we all went about watching them, and I showed them in Machete Order. It honestly works even better than I originally anticipated - it's almost as if this is somehow the intented order. There's a great pattern here, taking the viewer on a series of emotional ups and downs. IV ends with a victory that seems to have some sinister undertones, then V is dark and unresolved with a cliffhanger, II ends with victory with sinister undertones, then III is dark and unresolved with a cliffhanger again. It works incredibly well, and when III ended everyone demanded we immediately watch VI to see how everything gets tied up.

The thing she had the most trouble with was when Leia and Luke are talking in ROTJ, and she talks about how she remembers her mother, her "real mother" (so Leia clearly knows she's adopted). With a few movies between III and VI, one might forget about this line, but watching VI right after III made her stop and ask "wait, what? How does she remember her mother?" There's no way around this point of confusion, watching Episode I or watching them in another order doesn't really help.

I asked her if she found Jar-Jar annoying and she asked "who's Jar Jar?" - Mission accomplished.

I agree, and have taken a weekend to watch in Machete Order, but now I wonder whether to include Rogue One or not

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Agreed..I threw it on last night and decided it's OK for him. We also started Star Wars Rebels which, so far, is surprisingly good!

There is also the older Clone Wars series which I watched years back. I believe it was by Genndy Tarkowsky (spelling is probably off but it's the guy who did Samurai Jack) which is worth checking out. Interesting format with 3-4 minute episodes (but a ton of episodes). Probably shown during commercials originally on Adult Swim or something like that.

God dam I'm a nerd.

He was addicted to both of those for awhile. If I had to pick one I liked clone wars a little better.

My son just last night announced at dinner he knows more about Star Wars then I do. I was going to capitulate but my wife threw out, "I don't about that yet, your dad is a pretty big nerd".

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying to last post. Started watching with the boy. We got through A New Hope in 3 viewings. Boy has the attention span of a gnat.

He walked away from Empire during a space battle scene to play LEGO. Two viewings of Empire so far and they have just left Hoth. This is going to take a while.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look on the bright side, look how many times are you getting to re-watch the greatest movies from our youth!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
My son is obsessed with Star Wars yet he’s never seen any of the movies.

I am considering letting him watch A New Hope. Appropriate?

Things I can think of... Luke finds the charred remains of his family. Is that any worse than the mother dying in Finding Nemo? I don’t know.

Obiwan bites it. Millions killed when the planet is blown up.

Anyway bad idea? Who has let their kids watch it? Was it ok?

this is a good site:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well we’re mostly caught up. We watched ‘A force Awakens’ at his schools movie night last night.

We didn’t watch any of the prequel because frankly they suck and I didn’t want to watch them again.

His favourite thus far....

Same as mine....

Return of the Jedi.

Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Too young IMO.

Bitch, please. I saw it in a theater when it came out. I was 6.

And back then that kind of special effect was unprecedented.

Same here.. I was 6 in 1977.

Yep, me too. 6 in '77. A lot of it went over my head but i was left with a general feeling of "that was awesome". I showed it to my daughters (well, forced them to watch it) when they were about 9 or 10 and they were bored for a while but got into it and eventually agreed that it was a good film.

Of course - this refers to the original Star Wars movie and not the pretend crap. Except ..Empire.. that was great too.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Too young IMO.

Bitch, please. I saw it in a theater when it came out. I was 6.

And back then that kind of special effect was unprecedented.

Same here.. I was 6 in 1977.

I 6 was as well. I think I let my son watch it around that age as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next