Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower Leg (Shin and Ankle) Numbness
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever experienced a numbing sensation on ankles / shins? I saw an orthopedist today who said it might be L4/L5 nerve damage. I'm not able to pronate my ankle / foot on one leg entirely. Has anyone ever experienced this and if so, what worked best for improvements? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg (Shin and Ankle) Numbness [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the doc do a neuro exam on you?...as in check reflexes, sensation, strength, etc. Or was it just "It may be nerve damage" and you were out the door.

Numbness in the extremities can be from multiple different things.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg (Shin and Ankle) Numbness [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going back in to a neurologist in a few weeks. The doctor today did test for weakness and numbness but he didn't do any major nerve testing. I've never had leg issues before and I'm walking around feeling like someone else's foot is attached to my leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get some good insight from the neuro doc.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I have it from the knee down. Sometimes it's barely there, other times it rears it's ugly head quite nicely. Mine is from damaged nerves. I have had pinched nerves in L4-L5 and L5-S1 and maybe in L3-L4 as well. Had terrible paralyzing pain down the left leg that left me with the residual neuropathy. At the time of the injury I could get the leg to mostly work through the full range of motion but it was difficult. I'll occasionally still have some foot drop that results in tripping on roots, rocks etc during trail runs.

One of the things that helped me at first was following the Mckenzie protocol for back problems. That has exercises to follow to work the spine back into position where it belongs. You can google it and find information on it.

Now it's important to remember that your problem may be from something totally different and you provide no history about how this started, such as did it just randomly occur or start after a injury? For example I know of people who had a blood clot or other circulatory problems that showed up with symptoms very much like these. Diabetic neuropathy and medication induced neuropathy are two others that come to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg (Shin and Ankle) Numbness [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PTinAZ wrote:
Did the doc do a neuro exam on you?...as in check reflexes, sensation, strength, etc. Or was it just "It may be nerve damage" and you were out the door.

Numbness in the extremities can be from multiple different things.

I have similar issues. What did you find out? Did you ever get rid of the numbness?
Quote Reply