Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tube install question
Quote | Reply
I want to put some latex tubes on my wheels and just have a question. I have carbon Mavic rims (CC40) and they are smooth on the inside, no spoke holes, and I do not run rim tape for normal tubes. Can I just do the same with latex tubes? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube install question [biker2035] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I guess I should have actually looked at the wheels before I responded! Looks like they’re good to go sans tape. Lucky you!

Twitter - Instagram
Last edited by: jrielley: Dec 6, 17 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are fine to run without rim tape. It’s probably better. The purpose of rim tape is to cover the spoke holes or any other holes. If there are no holes, then there is nothing for rim tape to do. The aluminum inserts in those wheels are smooth and continuous. Go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used H3 or H3+ wheels for years. Never used rim tape. There's zero need for it as the whole purpose of rim tape is to cover spoke holes. Additional benefit without rim tape is that tire and tube installation is easier since you don't have space and volume being sucked up by the rim tape.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube install question [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect, that is the answer I was hoping for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One piece of advice, just to be safe, is to run a cotton ball around the rim just to be sure there's no metal snags anywhere. The cotton ball will pick up any "shrapnel" or snag if there's something on the rim.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, just from past experience with latex tubes - maybe toss a bit of baby power or talc powder on the tube before installation.

Makes a bit of a powdery mess but has always seemed to help me during install on snug wheel sets :)
Quote Reply