Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy?
Quote | Reply
My son is obsessed with Star Wars yet he’s never seen any of the movies.

I am considering letting him watch A New Hope. Appropriate?

Things I can think of... Luke finds the charred remains of his family. Is that any worse than the mother dying in Finding Nemo? I don’t know.

Obiwan bites it. Millions killed when the planet is blown up.

Anyway bad idea? Who has let their kids watch it? Was it ok?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Dec 6, 17 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a year old: yes guy or no guy? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably too young. Lots of other things to do besides watch Star Wars. Wait until he is 6 or 7 then you can watch the whole series together.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’ll scar him life because he’s a little pussy.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's one year old? How obsessed with Star Wars can he be? And how much of the movie do you figure he's capable of paying attention to and grasping?

Not much sense in it now, imo.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a year old: yes guy or no guy? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
He's one year old? How obsessed with Star Wars can he be? And how much of the movie do you figure he's capable of paying attention to and grasping?

Roger that.

In time, ease, these parental delusions will.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I missed the word six. He’s six.

Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a year old: yes guy or no guy? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
Probably too young. Lots of other things to do besides watch Star Wars. Wait until he is 6 or 7 then you can watch the whole series together.

drn92

Screwed up my typing. He’s six.

Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he’s aware of the Noah’s Ark story, he’s aware of the legend of God committing genocide against nearly the entire planet. That’s far more terrifying than Star Wars. My son started watching them when he was 5, with no fear or issues. Your son will likely be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desensitize him to violence now, wile he's young.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah. That makes more sense.

I was six when I saw it, along with all of my friends. Nobody was traumatized. I think it's fine.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Ah. That makes more sense.

I was six when I saw it, along with all of my friends. Nobody was traumatized. I think it's fine.
Agreed. Better than fine. Must see.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! Watch it with him. He'l love it. Probably won't notice the charred remains. He will quickly want to follow with 5 & 6. In #5 we skipped over very little of anything - can't remember right now. In #6 we skipped the rankor part for quite a while but they loved it when the sand creature ate someone then belched - so we didn't skip over Jaba's demise. Explaining a couple of dead Ewoks at the end was the toughest because they're so damn cute.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the 3rd in this set right ? If so I took my son when he was 6 to the first of these. He told me later he was a little scared at times but just closed his eyes. I think it was Kylo Ren (sp) that scared him.
Have tickets for him, me and two of his buddies for next Saturday night at movie tavern for his birthday. He loves Star Wars.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boys started watching the series at 6. They have watched 4 episodes with no visible scarring.

Maybe he can answer the question of who shot first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My youngest is four, will be five in a few weeks. He's seen all the films, will be seeing the next one soon. But then, I'm a terrible parent.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turn in your geek card. A New Hope is episode IV, ie the first of the original trilogy.

Leddy wrote:
This is the 3rd in this set right ? If so I took my son when he was 6 to the first of these. He told me later he was a little scared at times but just closed his eyes. I think it was Kylo Ren (sp) that scared him.
Have tickets for him, me and two of his buddies for next Saturday night at movie tavern for his birthday. He loves Star Wars.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you let him watch episodes 1-3, you're a horrible parent, and someone should call social services.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
drn92 wrote:

drn92

Screwed up my typing. He’s six.

Ahh ... with that in mind I say go for it! Personally I would start at the beginning, which for me is the old school OG movie with a young Luke Skywalker on the moisture farm, but that is where I started when I was about 9.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you dont let him watch it, i will call cps on you for neglect!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Turn in your geek card. A New Hope is episode IV, ie the first of the original trilogy.

No one was nerding out about the movie so
I was trying to play it cool.

I think I’m a lifetime geek card carrier. Or at least I have a half geek tattoo from back in my D&D days.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I was 7 when we first saw the original in the theaters, and then had the original trilogy (now IV-VI) on VHS to start watching w/ my boy back when he was 4 or 5. He's 20 now and hasn't shot up any schools or shopping malls yet, so I think we did OK on the traumatic violence front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Too young IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been a great thread as I have a 6 year old son, but have to agree with the above poster, isn't it just a bit young? I mean have you guys been weening you sons since birth on Star Wars? My kid still is into angry birds, lego batman, and almost exclusively cartoon movies. I have made a conscious effort to keep as much violence away from him, but impossible even in the cartoon world. He sometimes gets scared when there are really scary bad guys in the cartoons.

But I guess a lot of Star Wars is cartoonish with all the inhuman characters, is it really time??
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Too young IMO.

Bitch, please. I saw it in a theater when it came out. I was 6.

And back then that kind of special effect was unprecedented.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars for a six year old: yes guy or no guy? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Too young IMO.

Bitch, please. I saw it in a theater when it came out. I was 6.

And back then that kind of special effect was unprecedented.

Same here.. I was 6 in 1977.
Quote Reply

Prev Next