Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most useful swim drill this year for me.
Quote | Reply
Recall that Slowman described this drill in a thread that I can't find now. It has worked wonders for body awareness and core.

Being tall and lanky - 6' and under 150lbs - it's been a challenge not to "snake" some while swimming.

Dan suggested to someone to put the pull buoy at the ankles/feet with a band and swim. What a revelation that was between breathing left vs right. Breathing left was much easier and much less "snaky" perhaps because the workload seems to be more evenly split between the arms. Breathing right was very unstable at first and I really had to speed up my left arm getting back to the front and pulling more (right hand dominant).

Don't know how long this drill has been out there but Wow. Just wow.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

Don't know how long this drill has been out there but Wow. Just wow.

Slowman is going to be sorry he ever brought that topic up. The current method seems to be for everyone to try and find a novel and acceptable usage for that phrase and work it into their posts.

Wow. Just wow. very well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Dan suggested to someone to put the pull buoy at the ankles/feet with a band and swim.

You need to listen to "Triathlon Swimming with TOWER 26- Be Race Ready Podcast" Episode #5: TECHNIQUE - Build this foundation layer second: ALIGNMENT

http://tower26radio.libsyn.com/...u-need-to-knowpart-2

This specific drill (13:10 - 15:45) uses not only pull-buoy and ankle strap/band, but also uses a snorkel to keep the head fixed.

I would highly recommend you to also listen to episode #4 and #6 (and the rest of them) and subscribe to their online coaching program. I can't recommend enough.

http://coaching.tower26.com

Coach Gerry Rodrigues also helped pros such as Lionel Sanders and Matt Dixon alike.
Last edited by: tie3: Dec 6, 17 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tie3 wrote:
IT wrote:
Dan suggested to someone to put the pull buoy at the ankles/feet with a band and swim.

This specific drill (13:10 - 15:45) uses not only pull-buoy and ankle strap/band, but also uses a snorkel to keep the head fixed.

Coach Gerry Rodrigues also helped pros such as Lionel Sanders and Matt Dixon alike.

A snorkel?!? Had the chance to get the FINIS one for free when it came out and declined. Had a chance to buy one at a bargain store for $5 and didn't. My reasoning was that rolling for air was so key to distance swimming, why not practice that as much as possible?

A large part of the benefit and realization that I was doing something wrong with this drill was during the roll for air. Like Pavlov's dog or water boarding, I soon shaped up because I didn't want it to continue.

What feedback does the snorkel give this drill that would want me to put my ego aside and look like someone that can't swim without one?

PS I also go without the band because it's faster and usually just do 50s alternating with other 50s. Am I missing out by not having the band?

Thank you for site and resource.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turning your head to breathe can and does screw up people's alignment. the idea behind the snorkel is you're removing this from the stroke to work on your alignment. still head - still straight body. then when you remove it you try and keep that feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A snorkel is the A+ #1 Supremo Most Important piece of training equipment a swimmer can have. Get your alignment right first, then learn how to rotate out of that without disturbing your body line.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, you’ll have plenty of chance to practice breathing after you get this alignment nailed.
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you would chime in. I've seen several high level swimmers training with snorkels. I like to use them they way you described and for some kick sets. Haven't tried to do a flip turn with them although it doesn't seem to be a big deal with the better swimmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing three things this month in the pool.

1. Working on my final push off after the catch with my hand extending all the way to my hip, pushing back. I was losing a few inches there.

2. I am getting about 3 s / 100 out of more mindful flip turns, sweating the details, before I was just going through the motions.

The mindfulness comes from waiting longer, not looking at the wall, faster turn, and not breathing on the outstroke.

3. When rotating to breath my arm was heading about 3" too far toward the midline, I am trying to make sure my lead arm on breaths is staying straight at the 1 and 11 position. To work on this I put my fins on and kick down the pool with one arm rotated to one side breathing, just paying attention to how it feels to have your arm straight and not wandering toward midline.

I am an adult onset swimmer. I did a 300 SCY test today and swam 4:45, so 1:35 / 100.
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
A snorkel is the A+ #1 Supremo Most Important piece of training equipment a swimmer can have. Get your alignment right first, then learn how to rotate out of that without disturbing your body line.

Honestly, I found the ankle band wayyyy better than snorkel for midline stability training. I see folks all the time fishtailing left and right with a snorkel.

Whereas if you can swim banded with no buoy, you definitely are not fishtailing and have a good straight pull line since you can't compensate with a errant kick.

I got a snorkel last year, used it a bunch but it was already superfluous after band work.
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, that particular deficency the band maybe be better (but I bet you could get the same result with specific drills and the snorkel). However, on a global level, if a swimmer is looking to get 1 piece of equipment, the snorkel has by far the most utility in straightening out the most problems.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuri Suguiyama's favorite drill is 20 x 100's at race pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your speed before and after?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
A snorkel?!? What feedback does the snorkel give this drill that would want me to put my ego aside and look like someone that can't swim without one?
So you really think anybody at your local pool is watching you swim? Worried the teeny-bopper bikini girls won't dig your snorkel?

Wow. Just wow
Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
IT wrote:
A snorkel?!? What feedback does the snorkel give this drill that would want me to put my ego aside and look like someone that can't swim without one?

So you really think anybody at your local pool is watching you swim? Worried the teeny-bopper bikini girls won't dig your snorkel?

Wow. Just wow

Naah. I'm 63 and no longer thinking of jail bait teeny-boppers. It's more like do I want to snorkel when the 200lb lady in the next lane over does nothing but snorkel swimming. Or the other older guy in baggy swim trunks doing nothing but snorkel swimming.

At the pools I swim at there are no teeny-bopper girls. Mainly retirees like me concerned about slipping even further into physical dysfunction.

Seems like you are projecting what your concerns might be over to me though ;) How old are you? Married? Children?

Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
What was your speed before and after?

Good question. What I noticed is that my speed has improved on my "worst" side with the buoy by 1-2 seconds per 50 while staying the same on my "better" side.

Besides the speed increase the coordination is so much better.

BIG point is I've come to realize that a good stroke pattern for me breathing left is different than a good stroke pattern breathing right. Trying to pattern the left to be like the right and vice versa is non productive and results in slower times on both sides by seconds per 50.

Again breathing left seems to work the arms equally and I'm right hand dominant. Besides equal effort, my EVF is so much more noticeable and easier "to work".

Breathing right has the right dominant hand do more work pulling while the left arm is doing well to recover quickly to the front and provide good extension while I roll for air and pull hard and long with right arm.

Enjoy the feeling of both sides. What is interesting I am 2-4 seconds faster per 100 breathing right with fins with two beat kick. Whereas without fins both sides are within a second.

Quote Reply
Re: Most useful swim drill this year for me. [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
I thought you would chime in. I've seen several high level swimmers training with snorkels. I like to use them they way you described and for some kick sets. Haven't tried to do a flip turn with them although it doesn't seem to be a big deal with the better swimmers.

Yup, even the world class triathletes are still using snorkel:

Patrick Lange @0:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oVPuVA2sI

Tim O'Donnell @8:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQIJzIyv_rs
Quote Reply