Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Require help in deciding - 220 km bike ride this week & Olympic dist triathlon next week
Quote | Reply
Hi

I am new here and this is my first post. I need help in making a decision.

Background: Started physical activities two years back. First year been trekking and occasional long distance cycling. From slightly more than a year back, i started doing running and cycling more regularly. Last December, i had participated in Olympic distance triathlon and it was disaster. I took more than 6.5 hrs to complete the course [cut-off was 6 hrs] . Since then I have improved a lot. Did a trail run half marathon three months back and have done some decent no. of above 100 km rides in this one year. And since I am doing running, cycling and core strengthening regularly, I have improved a lot in running and cycling. Though I have improved swimming [nearly 2.5 hours for 1.5 km course last dec to about 1hr 10 min for 1 km now], I still struggle with swimming.

My decision Problem: The local cycling club with whom I ride occasionally, had announced a 220 km ride for this sunday - 10th dec [for which i have registered] and I have my Olympic distance Triathlon next Saturday - 16th Dec. There is only 6 days gap in between. I would love participate in both these events but I fear if participating in the ride this week will hamper my performance in the triathlon next week due to fatigue, lack of good recovery etc. This week's ride is a free ride and since I have registered, I am kind of obliged to ride for the slot is reserved for me [Had it been a paid ride, I could have dropped the ride plan] . And since i didn't qualify with cutoff in triathlon last December, I really want to do well in it this time. Now i am torn between deciding to ride or not to ride this week. Please help.
Quote Reply
Re: Require help in deciding - 220 km bike ride this week & Olympic dist triathlon next week [Vetrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you much beyond what you already know.
That's a long ride, especially if you're not used to it. What's the terrain like and how long do you think it will take you?That sort of distance could take anything from 5.5hrs to 14hrs+ depending on ability, terrain, weather, drafting and effort. It could leave you tired for a day or two or in need of serious rest and recovery.

6 days isn't much of a recovery if the ride will be really tough for you. If I was giving the triathlon priority, I wouldn't want to be doing that cycle the week before. If I just wanted to complete both, I'd carry on but expect them to effect each other. It all depends on how quick you recover.

I did an Olympic triathlon and a 200km sportive 1 week apart last June myself but the triathlon came first and I knew I'd recover very quickly from that.

I don't suppose you know anyone who wants to do the ride but doesn't have a slot? If you could pass it on to them you might be off the hook?
Does the cycle route leave any option to bail out early?
Quote Reply
Re: Require help in deciding - 220 km bike ride this week & Olympic dist triathlon next week [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrain is road only but it must be hot and humid and might take at least 9/10 hrs for me.

You are right in saying that I have to judge my recovery and decide properly. But that's the tough part. Had the ride been a 100 km I could definitely take up both but I have never done 200 km before and I am not able to judge how much drained i might become at the end of it [A 100 km doesn't leave me drained and i usually start my workouts the next day or at least the day after] .

Ya, I think I will have to look for someone to pass the ride slot or ask the organisers themselves and skip it. But hard decision. I would love to do ride too [the club gives a batch for completing every long ride in a year and at the end of the year you could join all the batches together to get a nice/useful memorabilia - something like a puzzle].

Anyways thanks much @Ai_1 . Really appreciate. Your reply has given me some clarity.
Quote Reply
Re: Require help in deciding - 220 km bike ride this week & Olympic dist triathlon next week [Vetrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try and meet the group at the half-way point? Then you can "finish" the race at least.

If you do 220km you will not be ready for the triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vetrik wrote:
Terrain is road only but it must be hot and humid and might take at least 9/10 hrs for me....
I was mostly wondering is it flat, rolling, mountainous or a mixture. Although if there was gravel or dirt tracks involved that would be relevant too, my question was vague!
Regardless, 9/10hrs is the critical bit. So it'll be a pretty serious ride. Yeah, it seems wise to shorten or dodge the ride if you want to be sure you can enjoy the triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Respect for completing the triathlon! I don't think many people would want to spend so long on an olympic course. And kudos to your swim improvement too! If the triathlon is the main goal I wouldn't do the bike ride if I were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were familiar with riding that type of distance, the route was generally flat with smooth roads, and you had a good sized group (6+) that would allow you to just sit in the whole time then maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Basically you would just be spinning along at Z2 for 9-10 hours. As long as your fueling properly, that's not going to put you in that deep a hole given a couple days of rest or very easy workouts.

But if you're not familiar with that type of distance, you introduce possibilities like chaffing or saddle sores. You also may not be familiar with how to fuel for that long of a ride which can make a huge difference in how you feel during the ride and after. Also, if the route has lots of hills, or you don't have a pack you can draft, that means you're either going to have to put in more effort, or spend a longer amount of time to complete the ride.

My buddies do an annual ride of about 220 kms as well, which includes about 5 miles of off road, but other than that generally flat to rolling. Usually there is about 6-8 of us that share the work at the front, so most of the ride is Z2, and you go into Z3/4 when you're at the front or climbing some of the small hills. Usually I'm pretty tired for 2-3 days following, but back to normal withing 5-6 days. It's usually about 8 hours of riding time, but 9.5-10 hours of total time when you figure in rest stops to get more food/water and flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Require help in deciding - 220 km bike ride this week & Olympic dist triathlon next week [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't. I'd pick one.

There's the chance some people drop out and don't show up and you don't sit in the wind as much OR it is just a windy day period. Then getting a saddle sore, etc....

If you're used to it, sure. But even then, that's a lot of butt time either way before doing something else.

Also, out of curiosity.......is this on a road bike or your Tri rig?
Quote Reply