Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt IA Build
Quote | Reply
Starting a IA (FRD or IA1) build. Help me spend my money. Suggestions? Wheels are already decided.

One of the biggest places I am stuck is at front end. Looking at a Enve, TriRig, and Zipp base bars with either a felt stem or TriRig stem.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Alpha X on my IA, and I love it. If I were buying now, and it were available, I would get the new Alpha. One of the minor details about the basebar I like is that it has a rough grip at the brakes, which means I do not use bar tape. It looks really good. And supposedly, it is one of the most aero.

If the frame comes with an uncut steerer tube, then you can pick your stems at will. If it is cut, then you are pretty much constrained to the Tririg stems (Sigma or Alpha integrated) and the Felt stems. I do not like the base Felt stem, but the Dagger is pretty cool.

What drivetrain are you running? I assume you will go electric, but which flavor (eTap or Di2)? If Di2, hiding the junction box and wires are manageable. If eTap, then you want to think about where you will put the humungous Blip Box. I would consider this in the front end choice as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Starting a IA (FRD or IA1) build. Help me spend my money. Suggestions? Wheels are already decided.

One of the biggest places I am stuck is at front end. Looking at a Enve, TriRig, and Zipp base bars with either a felt stem or TriRig stem.

Both of those frame 'modules' come with felt bars already, don't they? Any particular reason you are switching?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Both of those frame 'modules' come with felt bars already, don't they? Any particular reason you are switching?
Great point! The IA1 & IA FRD come with the Dagger stem and Devox base bar. It even has the carbon f-bend extensions. You would have to spend a lot of cash to improve on the Devox basebar. On the flip side, you could sell the base bar and do pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't the Tririg bar option be more valid for the IA10 frame set? Together with Tririg brakes you would probably get a more user friendly bike at a lower price.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have the Alpha X on my IA, and I love it. If I were buying now, and it were available, I would get the new Alpha. One of the minor details about the basebar I like is that it has a rough grip at the brakes, which means I do not use bar tape. It looks really good. And supposedly, it is one of the most aero.

If the frame comes with an uncut steerer tube, then you can pick your stems at will. If it is cut, then you are pretty much constrained to the Tririg stems (Sigma or Alpha integrated) and the Felt stems. I do not like the base Felt stem, but the Dagger is pretty cool.

What drivetrain are you running? I assume you will go electric, but which flavor (eTap or Di2)? If Di2, hiding the junction box and wires are manageable. If eTap, then you want to think about where you will put the humungous Blip Box. I would consider this in the front end choice as well.

I don't want to wait for the Alpha One and I technically the Alpha X has less drag. I was going to talk to Felt about the Dagger stem and that is one Josh A. use with his Zipp Bar. What stem are you running now? If I can get the TriRig stem flush it seems like a very good option.

I just picked up a eTap on cyber Monday at 25% off but still am considering Di2 (which i have on my other 2 bikes). Will switch to 165 cranks (Steve Jackson has talked me into this) and prob go with a quarq Dzero.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Larger air foil (which is debatable if it is faster of not) and ability to tilt which is not present on current felt bar.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teinvall wrote:
Wouldn't the Tririg bar option be more valid for the IA10 frame set? Together with Tririg brakes you would probably get a more user friendly bike at a lower price.

I am still considering this option as well. Its def the most cost effective. I do wonder how many grams of drag you give up going this route, seem to have read some places it almost none. I do give up some weight on the frame. One of my goals was to get this bike under 21.5lbs (if possible)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe you can put a standard stem (zipp, TR) on the IA1 fork. It's an integrated stem design that mates to the base bar.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I was going to talk to Felt about the Dagger stem and that is one Josh A. use with his Zipp Bar. What stem are you running now? If I can get the TriRig stem flush it seems like a very good option.

this IMO is a must for any Felt IA. The bike is just not long and low enough with the OEM +6 stem on there. With the -17 Dagger it gets a little better.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
I was going to talk to Felt about the Dagger stem and that is one Josh A. use with his Zipp Bar. What stem are you running now? If I can get the TriRig stem flush it seems like a very good option.

this IMO is a must for any Felt IA. The bike is just not long and low enough with the OEM +6 stem on there. With the -17 Dagger it gets a little better.

Those are pro only stems that are not available to the public.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought one from Felt's website. It was a straight swap with the OEM stem... no maintenance or adjustments needed.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
What stem are you running now? If I can get the TriRig stem flush it seems like a very good option.

I just picked up a eTap on cyber Monday at 25% off but still am considering Di2 (which i have on my other 2 bikes).
I have the Alpha X with its integrated stem on my IA16. That sits pretty flush, but it does not match the integrated shape of the frame-- only the stock stem does that.

You should be able to get a good mount that can cleanly attach the blip box to either the top of the stem (there is a screw hole) or the underside of the BTA plate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Just bought one from Felt's website. It was a straight swap with the OEM stem... no maintenance or adjustments needed.

Interesting. I remember Felt saying they made Carfrae a custom stem to use her bars and it wasn't available to the public. Perhaps they listened to people who wanted more options.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
One of my goals was to get this bike under 21.5lbs (if possible)
You should be able to get under 20 lbs. The IA16 is 20.4 lbs., according to Felt's website. I cut nearly 3 lbs. from my bike just with the carbon wheels, carbon cockpit, crankset, and a few other minor savings. If you are building with high-end going in, you will be well below 20 before adding pedals, PM, and running gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
One of my goals was to get this bike under 21.5lbs (if possible)

You should be able to get under 20 lbs. The IA16 is 20.4 lbs., according to Felt's website. I cut nearly 3 lbs. from my bike just with the carbon wheels, carbon cockpit, crankset, and a few other minor savings. If you are building with high-end going in, you will be well below 20 before adding pedals, PM, and running gear.

That would be fantastic, my current SC is 20.8lbs (no nutrition no water bottles)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Straight up swap, well that seem like the easiest solution then. Can pretty much any any base bar be mounted to the dagger then?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, but just to be clear, the dagger stems fit the IA bike with double digits (10/16) and not the IA1 or the FRD. sorry if you already knew this, but you specifically stated the FRD in your original post.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
yes, but just to be clear, the dagger stems fit the IA bike with double digits (10/16) and not the IA1 or the FRD. sorry if you already knew this, but you specifically stated the FRD in your original post.

Good to know! No I am posting all this since I am trying to learn the Felt. Most things on the bike pretty straightforward but the front end is looking like a bit of a challenge.

Question with the Dagger: Josh is on a FRD and has a dagger stem and whats really confusing to me is Felt lists the "dagger stem" coming on the FRD and IA1 Framesets but they don't look right? What am i missing?

Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Dec 5, 17 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out pages 31 & 32 in the owners manual: https://www.feltbicycles.com/...IA_Owners_Manual.pdf

The bike looks like it has a normal steerer tube and front end. But, the factory stem and basebar are proprietary and interated. Where it might get off is the look of the front nose cone that covers the brake and how it visually ties into the underside of the stem. It might be fine with another stem, but hard to guess. If you google around, you can find some pictures of alternate stems and bikes with the upper cone removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cannot use a regular stem and bars with the IA1 or FRD. It is a proprietary front end.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure either to be honest. the FRD comes with a dagger base bar that mates to the integrated dagger stem. The double digit IA models come with a non-integrated dagger stem that would accept anything 31.8. you can see the difference clearer in the international store:

https://www.felt-stuff.com/...athlon-tt/ia-dagger/

As another poster mentioned, the front fork/brake cable cover has two M3 (?) bolts that fix it to holes on either side of the integrated dagger stem.

Looking at pictures of Josh's bike, he seems to have a zipp basebar on there, but also the cover fixed to the font. so he either has the non-integrated dagger with the cover glued/taped on, or the base bar is felt but with zipp painted on (unlikely) or something else.

Last edited by: Callin': Dec 5, 17 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:

I'm 99% sure that is not correct. You can run the dagger stem (http://www.feltbicycles.com/...IA-Dagger-Stems.aspx) on an IA FRD and IA1. Look at the holes on the dagger stem where the front brake cover tabs would be. The IA10 or 16 do not have a front brake cover that mates with this dagger stem.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
You cannot use a regular stem and bars with the IA1 or FRD. It is a proprietary front end.

I'm 99% sure this is incorrect. You can use the felt dagger stem... http://www.feltbicycles.com/...IA-Dagger-Stems.aspx

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. I haven't sold Felt for the past year and this is a new stem so you can use non-integrated bar with the IA and still have the brake cover. However, it is only offered in a 110mm -16deg configuration so the aerobar needs to be able to adjust to the riders position. It would be nice if they offered it in a few different lengths.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next