Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New to rollers
Quote | Reply
Just brought some rollers and I have a few questions.

I managed to ride and struggle for 45 minutes. I have a safe set up (in between wall and sofa)
and was using my running shoes. I eventually made it about 20min without having to stop.

1) do you use a specific trainer tire like the ones I use on the fixed trainer (red tread)

2) do you ever get into the aero postiton?

3) even after getting comfortable on them, do you ever move it into a less "safe" place like middle of the room.

4) do you ever get to the point you can watch a movie?

5) do you do hard efforts on them? Interval type stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

It just takes time. YouÂ’ll be amazed how good you get in a week.
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just takes time. YouÂ’ll be amazed how good you get in a week.

Indeed. The learning curve for rollers is very steep at the bottom end.

What that means is it seems completely IMPOSSIBLE the first couple of times you try ( that's why many sets of rollers are gathering dust in garages and basements), but the gains actually come pretty quickly, and soon you are riding along like a pro and reaping the benefits.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what would you say those benefits are ?

I have been riding them 4x per week whiole doing some other kinds of tests but curios what other benefits I will get out of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No

Yes

I used to put them up near the fireplace where I could put a drink in the TV remote on the mantle. I suppose not my new house I would put them next to the kitchen island.

Yes

Yes. But be careful if youÂ’re watching the Tour de France and theyÂ’re on a downhill mountain stage. One can start to lean the bike like youÂ’re on the downhill mountain road.

The easiest bike to ride on rollers is actually the track bike with fixed gear.

Like the others have said, just keep riding and it gets easier.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Dec 5, 17 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only been riding rollers for a month, so still somewhat new to me. Very steep learning curve right away. Felt like riding on ice the first time. I still need a wall to get started or else I can't get clipped in. I have to look away from the laptop on winding high-speed downhills in Zwift or I subconsciously want to lean. Getting to/from the aero position took some serious practice and nerves. I had a breakthrough moment a few days ago. I was able to remove a bottle from the down tube, take a drink, and replace the bottle without crashing.
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

I ride rollers because they are slightly less mind numbing than a standard trainer. Give yourself a month and you'll be bored as hell on them too
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me the advantages of trainer in terms of developing FTP massively outweigh the advantages of rollers.

However, I still ride rollers once or twice a week--they are amazing for recovery and they also really help my pedalling technique---a difference I can feel on the road and see in my power data too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get into rollers too. I'm planning to get the cheapest rollers with some resistance and do DIY a free motion system like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQOgDK_IOk

spasmus wrote:

I managed to ride and struggle for 45 minutes. I have a safe set up (in between wall and sofa)
and was using my running shoes. I eventually made it about 20min without having to stop.

1) do you use a specific trainer tire like the ones I use on the fixed trainer (red tread)

3) even after getting comfortable on them, do you ever move it into a less "safe" place like middle of the room.

Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Yes. But be careful if youÂ’re watching the Tour de France and theyÂ’re on a downhill mountain stage. One can start to lean the bike like youÂ’re on the downhill mountain road.

True words.

(before you know it you're in a crumpled heap next to the rollers. The mrs can attest to me doing this....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of the questions

Trainer Tire? Nope. Just use older tires and put fresh rubber on to start the season. (I do own a trainer tire, because I occasionally rode in the training center at a local shop and we had to have one).

Aero position? yep, one you get comfortable with shifting your weight while riding, you can move into aero position.

Move away from the door frame? yep. I just have a wood stool that I use to get on to the rollers.

Movie? hell yes! otherwise it makes for a very looooooonnnnnng feeling ride... I've roller ridden the original star wars trilogy... Only stopping to change DVDs (topping off water and taking nature breaks on those stops)...

Intervals? yes, though I rarely do... I tend to used my rollers for easy riding, and then my trainer for the harder stuff, because I can't adjust the resistance on my rollers...

The biggest thing is practice when it comes to rollers, you get the hang of it after a bit, and it pays dividends in terms of smoothing out your pedal stroke, and improving balance and bike handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1-no, yes to the rest. I have been riding rollers for about 7 years now and find them very worth the time spent. I prefer them to my computrainer as I can get complacent on the CT. That will only happen once with rollers. I have a Powertap hub and can do all out intervals with the help of two drywall fans set up in front of the rollers. While tv and movies are possible I prefer tunes. I would have trouble following a movie while trying hard interval work. As others have said the learning curve is steep but practice really does make perfect. It is easier on a road bike than a tt to start. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you use the drywall fans to help with intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that there are different 'kinds' of rollers, so the responses you get above will vary.

For example, there are high-end roller models that free-float fore/aft so you basically can't eject off the front or back if you shift weight too hard, which also have side bumper wheels to also keep help you centered.

You might be able to watch a movie, do hard intervals, etc no problem on such rollers, yet if you're talking about another 'basic' set of rollers which is literally a bunch of rollers on a frame, it gets a lot harder to maintain your position without falling off during long rides and/or hard speed changeups.

I had this sort of discussion on a bike forum once, and it seemed like half the people were either 'roller gods', or using something totally different from me. Turns out the latter was the case - I was on the super-simple rollers (where things are harder) and almost all the people who talked like it was no big thang were on the higher end rollers that I've described (these folks tend to assume the cheaper/simpler rollers are just as easy to ride - they're not.)
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres lots of YouTube videos with people doing stunts on rollers...

It's really good for getting the kinks out of your pedal stroke...if your style is bouncy or not a smooth sound....and if you can do 45 min off the bat you have souplesse already and kinks might only show when you're more fatigued...at least you know what muscle memory is being programmed is good
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [tramirez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are the only fans I found that put out enough air flow to mimic the evaporating effect of riding outside. I would overheat on longer intervals without them. I sweat a lot. 3 x 15 or 3 x 20 over the course of 60 to 90 minutes wouldn't be as productive for me without them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1) No just regular tires

2) Sometimes, it is harder than riding on the bull horns but not impossible

3) sure, I just need a step to get on/off

4) absolutely, once watched Toy Story 3 with the fam... me rollering away, them all in camp chairs eating snacks in my pain cave

5) yes, I have some Garmin workouts built with intervals and do those on the rollers... really the only time I do intervals

When I first started riding rollers I really questioned myself... it was like riding on a sheet of glass. You pick it up though and take your time with tricks. No one's handing out awards because you can one legged pedal and pick up water bottles from the floor while rollering.
Last edited by: xeon: Dec 5, 17 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:

1) do you use a specific trainer tire like the ones I use on the fixed trainer (red tread) No

2) do you ever get into the aero postiton? I stick to the road bike on rollers

3) even after getting comfortable on them, do you ever move it into a less "safe" place like middle of the room. I train over one hundred hours on rollers every year, but I still ride them in a doorway because it's just convenient for me do so and pretty much eliminates the risks associated with a lapse in concentration

4) do you ever get to the point you can watch a movie? Sure. I routinely do 4 hour endurance sessions on the rollers throughout the winter. Movies are one way to help pass the time.

Yes. I do all my indoor training on rollers including high wattage sprint workouts, V02 work etc... I use a set of Tru-trainer rollers on a home-crafted free-motion set-up.
Last edited by: GONE4ARIDE: Dec 5, 17 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the question about putting them in a "less safe" place like the middle of the room, I actually feel safer having them in the middle of the room. Once you get good at it the only time you're going to fall is if you're completely zoned out watching a movie or something and if that happens I would much rather land on a nice flat floor than smash my head (or other body part) on a chair on the way down, or crumple against the wall.

spasmus wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I never felt safe in a doorway. Early on I fell once in a doorway. What a tangled mess that was. Me, the bike, and the rollers all pretzel like between the door jams. My wife had to help get me out of the mess.

After that I switched to just riding near a wall. I still do just out of habit, and it's a little easier to start stop from a wall lean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
No to # 1, yes to the rest. I converted my set to operate like e-motion. This made all the difference. Have a look on Youtube. Some 2x3's, old roller blade wheels and rubber bungee cords is all I needed.
Well worth it.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got pretty good at rollers and I'm a big fan, clocking multi-hour rides and can ride no-hands and one legged and all that jazz, but I STILL couldn't bring myself to use it for dedicated tri-bike training in the aero position. This is simply because fueling in the aero position is risky, and I don't want to take those kinds of risks with my expensive carbon race bike. When I went back to a regular trainer, the reduction in stress and the improvement in fueling/drinking was very noticeable. But if I was on a road bike? Hell yeah, I'd ride rollers all the time. They are amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caveat: I'm on Inside Ride e-motion rollers, which provide a huge step up in usability over static rollers. And, two Vornado fans, one focusing wind at my face, and one at my torso. And headbands, just because some sweat is still going to drip down despite the fans.

1) Specific Tires: Nope

2) Aero position? Yep, even while re-fueling.

3) Middle of the room. Yep, because it is safer. Though, I do have a drawer set on one side to hold drinks and various forms of sugar/carbs, and of course, the tv remote.

4) Watch a movie? Yep, for long, steady-state rides. Though I tend to watch a Netflix series for rides over 2 hours. My downfall (literally) can be the car chase scenes. I find myself leaning and turning. Not good when your road is just 18" wide.

5) Intervals? Yep, but only on interval days, and then I tend not to watch TV during the interval set, but focus on the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
I have to look away from the laptop on winding high-speed downhills in Zwift or I subconsciously want to lean.

Hahaha. Yeah, I did a few Zwift races on mine and kept rolling off them in turns. Gave up on that pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: New to rollers [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I post a link to a guy that's good at using rollers?

Https://www.instagram.com/p/BcnuixXn3Oe/
Quote Reply

Prev Next