Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training with stress fractures
Quote | Reply
Hi,

My Dr is pretty sure I have managed to give myself a stress fracture in my lower leg and foot! Since my foot started hurting I have stopped running (5 weeks ago). After a visit to a physio, and A&E (Xrays were clear) I am being sent for an MRI to figure out what is going on!

I have been on crutches for 2 weeks to completely rest the lower leg, but after that I am trying to figure out what training I can do. Is swimming ok if I don't kick off the wall, also turbo training on the bike, should it be ok if I don't go for high power intervals?

My Physio has said that it can take 3-6 months to completely clear up, any suggestions about how to reintroduce running after a break of that long?

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: training with stress fractures [fatboyslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get in PT as much as possible once you start healing and go from there. Your PT will be able to tell you what you can/can't do. Swimming will probably be the first thing you can get back into. Just make sure you are healed enough before pushing yourself...I've tried to push myself too hard too fast and ended up with secondary injuries often enough to know that its better to make sure you are fully healed rather than taking the risk of reinjury. Just as an example, I dislocated my shoulder a few years back and started swimming too soon and ended up with a bad case of tendonitis that put me out for another 2 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I AM A PHD NOT AN MD !

Quote:
My Dr is pretty sure I have managed to give myself a stress fracture in my lower leg and foot! Since my foot started hurting I have stopped running (5 weeks ago). After a visit to a physio, and A&E (Xrays were clear)

That's odd; if it were fractured 5 weeks ago, you would expect to see a bone callous (thick area of new bone) where you think it's broken.

Quote:
My Physio has said that it can take 3-6 months to completely clear up, any suggestions about how to reintroduce running after a break of that long?
Mine have always healed in 6-8 weeks. I'd ask why they said that long.

Anyway, swimming should be fine; push off the wall with 1 foot.
Trainer - the vibrations might cause pain (did for me with some of mine) so pay attention to that.

3 x 500 mg calcium a day!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello aquajogging...
Then find yourself an anti-grav treadmill.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. MRI results;
2. Doctor review and prescription;
3. PT follow up and prescription.
Quote Reply
Re: training with stress fractures [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Hello aquajogging...

Then find yourself an anti-grav treadmill.

Yep:

Find an AlterG

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fatboyslow wrote:
Hi,

My Dr is pretty sure I have managed to give myself a stress fracture in my lower leg and foot! Since my foot started hurting I have stopped running (5 weeks ago). After a visit to a physio, and A&E (Xrays were clear) I am being sent for an MRI to figure out what is going on!

I have been on crutches for 2 weeks to completely rest the lower leg, but after that I am trying to figure out what training I can do. Is swimming ok if I don't kick off the wall, also turbo training on the bike, should it be ok if I don't go for high power intervals?

Many thanks

Be careful with stress fx. Make sure you find a good clinician who can help you figure out what caused it. Too much volume too quick? Increase in intensity too quickly? Hills? Sprints? New lifting routine? New plyometrics? Poor running mechanics? New running locations? etc etc.

Once you are healed, you shouldn't start jogging until you can walk at a brisk pace for 45-60min without pain and without pain later that day.

After that, 10-20% increase per week in overall volume.

Mind you training variables: Frequency, duration, and intensity.

This is my protocol with all of my patients. But don't take this to heart, only follow a RTP protocol advised by your team. This was just an example since you asked what you can expect when reintroducing running.

Best of luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for all the replies. I am waiting for the MRI, and still resting my foot as much as I can!

5 weeks and it is still swollen is starting to get a little irritating though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fatboyslow wrote:
Hi,

Many thanks

Nobody has mentioned yet that muscle strain on the shin bones can feel like stress factures. If you are not used to the toe off of running AND have not strengthened the opposing muscle you will feel pain on the inside of the shin.

No sign on X-ray leads me to think this could be the case after this amount of time. It does surprise me that neither doctor or PT would be so unfamiliar with running injuries to not pick up on this. Did they mention the possibility of a muscle imbalance causing the "shin splints".

If muscle imbalance is the case, the rehab is rather easy and cheap. Sit down with some weight 10-20 pounds on your toes and lift the toes up off the ground by flexing your ankle. This helps balance the muscle strength of the opposing muscle. I do this regularly even when not injured.

These kind of "shin splints" are common when starting to run, treadmill running and speed work. All of these activities involve more toe off than the leg has been used to and the muscle strain is felt on the shin.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitamin D?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water running and alter-g for sure

take it extra slow on the return
Quote Reply