Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
December Swim Challenge
Quote | Reply
Post your workouts :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AM
9.5 mi run w/ 4 @ 8:20 pace
850 yd swim

PM
3 mi bike

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Dec 2, 17 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2000 scy this am. Outside of Thanksgiving, I haven't missed a day in a LONG time. 🏊😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...well I went to the pool with a plan to do another USRPT set. Warmup suuuucked. Got kicked out of my lane for some aerobics class. Gave up, went on to work.

WU:
200ez
2x25 kick

done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
600 swim as 200 free, 50 back, 150 free, 50 back, 200 snorkel swim, 100 snorkel kick

500 snorkel and paddles, aerobic
500 as 50 free, 50 nonfree
500 snorkel

4 x 200 @ 3:15, 3:10, 3:05, 3:00

9 x 100 @ 1:45, 1:40, 1:35 x 3

3600m long course
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

4 mi run w/ middle two miles 8:13, 8:06
1225 yd swim main set 10 x 100 on 1:30

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m at the Southern Pacific SCM Regional Championships in the beautiful City of Commerce. Several Masters world records were broken. No personal records on my part, but I did only one race, the 1500m free. My best is a 19:35. This time not so hot at a 20:26 [corrected - thanks DTC]. Still, I got 1st, thanks to Bruce Thomas not swimming it – he’s gonna devistate the other distance events, 400 & 800.
Today, I have the 400 free & 100 Breaststroke. Tomorrow is the 800 free, 200 free and 200 breaststroke. That’s all gonna hurt!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Dec 2, 17 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20:23, you mean?

good luck w/ other races!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longcourse, with 12 people per lane (see? It CAN be done! Circle swimming works)

600 warm-up as 200 free, 100 back, 200 snorkel, 100 kick with snorkel

4 x {3 x 100
Odd rounds @1:30 free descend (1:20, :18, :15)
Even rounds @1:45, 25 no free, 75 free descend

4x50 @ 1:00, 8 fast strokes, easy the rest of the 50

8 x 200 @ 5:00 as 50 sprint, 150 easy. Split lanes so that half start from the opposite sides, swim the easy 150 after your side has all finished the fast 50
:34 on all

3600m long course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just realized it is December....OK OK.I got to the pool late so only had 30 min of lane swim before it flipped to public swim which means dividing buoy line across the pool....so a bit of a pain to swim lengths during this time. During the first half of my swim, I got my 25M kickboard sprint time down to 26 seconds. Sub 25 and maybe even 22 is in reach! Second half of the swim, did under water dolphin sprints under the buoy line (lengths). After that I went to widths for 15 min and did dolphin sprints across the width focus on moving water backwards with both sides of my feet and then recovered on the way back working my breast stroke.

Also if I can make a request to you all on these swim threads. Honestly I find most of the top line metrics of another person's workouts close to useless other than its a one upmanship bragging rites thing.

What would be far more beneficial to everyone is people talking about the technical aspects of swimming and what they were working on. I really don't want to know that my fellow tennis player served up 100 tennis balls. What I want to know is what she was technically working on, because when she talks about that, it can make my serve better. Just hearing that she hammered 100 tennis balls is largely useless information.

In any case here is what I want to contribute to my gripe and try to change the culture of these thread to more learning oriented (vs feats of strength oriented)...This is what I wrote on the November thread to Monty. He was talking about Slowman just "kicking down" and being slow:

LOL....you beating up on slowman's kick actually improved mine today. As I have leg control issues with my left, leg and applying force like a normal human I noticed during some kick sets that I was kicking the water down with my left shin, whereas with the right I was kind of flicking it backwards. So I focused on that, and got my 25M down to 26 seconds today. I THINK if I keep working on this, I can get down to 22 by improving not just the propulsion, but the timing and streamline....it's almost like you want to "catch" the water using the shin as the paddle and throw the water back with the shin and then foot but finish with a streamline (like we would do with fins) vs just slapping turbulent water....thinking like using each leg as a dolphin's body 180 degrees out of phase with the other dolphin body (leg) and using the foot as a tail fin.....am I on the right track?

Can you guys help and talk more about technical improvements....and yes, I am the slowest swimmer around these threads, but when I go to most pools I am one of the faster people.

Also cool thing at yesterday's swim. I was swimming with the CEO of a local tech company who, in his youth with basically second in Canada to Alex Baumann....for those who don't know Alex Baumann won the 200m and 400m IM golds at the LA Olympics. This guy used to beat Baumann until Baumann had a growth spurt and then it was second place from then onwards!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 2, 17 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok dev. But, I certainly don't consider mine any form of one upmanship. Today was a makeup usrpt set since I sucked yesterday. Besides the task of swimming the set... My focus while swimming the laps was twofold. Ok the downleg I focused on the extension, keeping the arm high and reaching forward without causing my body to snake. I focused on lifting the wrist and elbow not the hand (avoiding the stop sign). On the return, I focused on my kick timing (down on same side finish) and keeping it tight (no splay) on the breath.

Other than that pacing is always a challenge with these usrpt sets. It's easy to go out 4-8 seconds fast for the first 2-3 100s. But, the repayment sucks starting around #12.

Wu:
200ez
2x50 kick
2x(2x50 simglearm / swim)

Ms;
20x100 usrpt @1:39 failed at #15

Cd:
200ez

2700scy

As noted in November, I was hoping to do all 20 usrpt reps today. No joy. I'm thinking about going past the 20 max in order to get a second failure. It seems to me that the training stimulus is decreasing too much once I get to the point where I only fail once in the first 20.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ps: the tip on kicking was good. I followed your lead and focused on kinda whipping the shin down into the water. Took 6 seconds on both 50s (:66 :68 respectively). Less hip lever and more whip action.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 2, 17 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wu: 200ez

Ms:
2x(4x50 (:30))as kick/pull/singlarn/swim
5x100 (:30) swim
2x50 kixk
2x50 swim with strong kick
2x(2x50 (:30)) as kick/swim-strong kick
5x100 (:30) as singlarm/swim

Cd: 200ez

Focus today was
1. On simglearm think reach, catch, pull through, and brush thigh on finish. All lengths were slow and deliberate.

2. On kick. Focus on whipping the leg knee ankle and foot. Try to feel water in toes and let ankle relax. Took 2 more seconds off my 50 kick from yesterday.

3. On swim with strong kick. Focus on maintaining whip action with legs and keeping a steady rhythm with legs. Don't let breathing interrupt rhythm.

Today was a bit ad hoc. Kinda made it up as I went along. I knew I wanted to rest the shoulders a bit and focus on some kicking.

Weekly summary : 6 swims (2 usrpt), 12k
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 3, 17 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Wu: 200ez

Ms:
2x(4x50 (:30))as kick/pull/singlarn/swim
5x100 (:30) swim
2x50 kixk
2x50 swim with strong kick
2x(2x50 (:30)) as kick/swim-strong kick
5x100 (:30) as singlarm/swim

Cd: 200ez

Focus today was
1. On simglearm think reach, catch, pull through, and brush thigh on finish. All lengths were slow and deliberate.

2. On kick. Focus on whipping the leg knee ankle and foot. Try to feel water in toes and let ankle relax. Took 2 more seconds off my 50 kick from yesterday.

3. On swim with strong kick. Focus on maintaining whip action with legs and keeping a steady rhythm with legs. Don't let breathing interrupt rhythm.

Today was a bit ad hoc. Kinda made it up as I went along. I knew I wanted to rest the shoulders a bit and focus on some kicking.

Weekly summary : 6 swims (2 usrpt), 12k

I was reading in one of the other threads from Tallswimmer and feeling the water flow through the toes during kicking. By spreading the toes and trying to get the water flow through (it probably is not), it almost feels like you make the surface of the foot (top and bottom wider) and create some more propulsion (turning your foot into a tail fin of sorts).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friday's swim. I was not feeling it ..

warmup
200 swim/200 kick
150 swim/150 kick
100 swim/100 kick
50 swim/50 kick

6x75 back/breast/free

200 kick
2x100 pull
4x50 swim

20x25

100 cd

2650 scm. no real main set. need to put that day away and move on

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Read that too. That's what prompted me to focus on it. More than anything my point today was just to try and feel it. It seems that since swimming is so proprioceptive that anything you can do to expand your awareness is potentially a good thing.

My other hobby is motor racing, which is a similarly proprioceptive sport. In that we talk about having 10 units of concentration. When you first start driving fast on a track, you spend 5 units just staying on track, 2 units on braking, 2 units on shifting, and 1 unit on where other cars are. There's nothing left for feeling the tire traction, thinking about strategy, etc. As you get practice those things drindle to 1 or 2 units leaving more mental capacity for subtleties, tactics and strategy.

So, i see swimming the same way. I spent the last year spending every moment thinking about all the big aspects of swimming: balance, arm cross over, body roll, etc. Swimming every day is starting to allow me to free up some of that processing for other more subtle aspects and sensations. Feeling water flow here or there, paying attention to small deflections at the waist, playing with breath timing, kick timing, etc.

I'm not much faster yet, but I feel much more relaxed in the water and my sensation of pace is much more refined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 40.4 mi bike
today 8.5 mi run (workout) + 1625 yd swim

run 5k as 1 mi @ 8:13, 1 mi @ 8:06, 1.1 mi @ 8:00, 1/2 mi easy, 1 mi @ 7:53, some tenths easy, .75 mi @ 7:47 (just couldn't get that last quarter), a couple miles fartlek

swim
2 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
3 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
4 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
1 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
goofed around to get to over 1600

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent the last three days sitting around most of the day, then an occasional anaerobic burst of swimming.
Results from SPMS SCM Masters Regional Championships:
1500 free 20:26.34 1st place
400 free 5:06.92 4th place
100 breast 1:25.02 4th place
800 free 10:32.59 4th place
200 free 2:25.84 3rd place

GF Heidi did well:
1500 free 20:03.29 2nd place
100 free 1:05.37 2nd place
400 free 4:48.43 3rd place
50 free 28.37 1st place
200 free 2:17.44 3rd place

Got in a 6 mile trail run today. Back to the ocean tomorrow morning, if the wind hasn't picked up too much.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
GF Heidi did well:

Wow!

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
GF Heidi did well:

Wow!

x2
congrats to you both!

Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My December "sprinting oriented" focus continues

Main set was 10x100m as 25m hard 25 m moderate/easy

• First 2x100m all kick: 25m easy - 25m hard repeat.....hard was 26-29 seconds....easy was as easy as I wanted it to go
  • 4x100m with fins as 25m underwater dolphin kick, 8m recovery recovery free 17m hard free, 25 fly sprint-25 m back easy
  • 4x100m wihtout fins with 20m underwater dolphin sprint, then final 5 m easy free to wall, then 25m easy free, 25 fly sprint-25 m easy free

60 seconds recovery between 100's before the next underwater dolphin kick sprint leg.

At this point I am fairly certain that if I take enough rest in between I won't die from passing out due to low oxygen during the underwater dolphin sprint. Actually on my last of 8 underwater legs, rather than doing 20m, I did the full 25m length. It was doable, but it is almost twice as hard for me to go 25m vs 20m.

In terms of streamlining, I am trying to focus on closing the gap between my biceps and my neck

Also in term of streamline I am trying to experiment between tighter more frequent low amplitude kicks vs higher amplitude lower frequency. On the smaller amplitude there is no "rest phase" between kicks as I launch into the next one without a "pause" whereas, the higher amplitude, there is a slight pause/rest.....but I think the lower amplitude has less drag, so it may be the way to get to a faster sprint mode for me.

Steamline is getting better. It's not like a magically gained more fitness in a short time. It is translating into a stronger fly and breast stroke (OK my breast stroke is bad, but it is less bad now....it's actually decent for an adult onset triathlon swimmer). I think my fly sprint is limited not by the strength of my pull, but the ability of my legs to move through the dolphin kick fast enough....so maybe this will help that too.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 5, 17 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to you and your GF. Those are some smoking fast times!

Back in November I posted a workout that was filmed by Swim Swam. The video just came out so thought I’d share it - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-XMvraq0M

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: December Swim Challenge [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to the fish around here....any of you guys can kick 25m in sub 20 seconds? sub 22? Sub 25? Just curious how far away I am from real swimmer kicking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
General reply to the fish around here....any of you guys can kick 25m in sub 20 seconds? sub 22? Sub 25? Just curious how far away I am from real swimmer kicking?

I can't. It will vary a lot by person, and the sprinters (as expected) will be much better at it. I am a terrible kicker, to the point that on my brief college swimming stint, I got lapped in kick sets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AM 9.5 mi run 80:19, 725 yd swim
PM 6 mi bike on a gravel path

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Dec 6, 17 6:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next