Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift increases monthly prices by 50%
Quote | Reply
Eric Min wrote:
The team too has grown. Every day we work at building the team that can bring you an awesome and constantly improving experience to help you improve your cycling performance and achieve your fitness goals. From a scrappy little team that could all fit around a table and share a meal, Zwift’s staff has grown to over a hundred people including programmers, artists, designers, testers, community managers, coaches, marketers, and an awesome support staff working to help Zwifters when they have questions.

In order to continue to make Zwift bigger, better and more beautiful, we are updating our membership price to $14.99 per month, effective today. As a way of saying thank you, however, to the awesome Zwifters who helped us get here, your pricing will not change for one year. If you happen to suspend your membership during this period and come back, you can still enjoy your current pricing level. (Visit our FAQ for all the details.)

The year of forgiveness is nice, but a 50% increase seems ambitious.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 16, 17 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, maybe, but if they lose, say 30% of their customers they are still generating more revenue, so would make sense on that basis. My guess is they've run the numbers and believe this will result in more revenue. Time will tell but I'd be inclined to agree with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bummer... I only use it from October to March generally.. I'm in right now.. when it goes 14.99 I will try to avoid as much as possible. I really dont use it too often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the monthly charge has grown from what to what?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$9.99 to $14.99
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that this will increase their seasonal churn. I didn't use Zwift from June to October of this year, so probably 5 months or so of inactivity, but I didn't suspend my account. The $9.99/month was NBD and in some sense I just wanted to continue to support the platform. I would imagine others might feel the same at $9.99/month.

I'm not sure that I would seasonally suspend my account at $14.99/month, but I'll consider it more than I would at $9.99/month.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
Yeah, maybe, but if they lose, say 30% of their customers they are still generating more revenue, so would make sense on that basis. My guess is they've run the numbers and believe this will result in more revenue. Time will tell but I'd be inclined to agree with them.

Yea, I can't say I disagree with any of that, but it makes it slightly less appealing. My fiance uses it 2-4 times/week throughout the year so it makes sense for her, but less so for me (maybe 5 times in the past year); would be nice if they had a "partner" discount/membership.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likewise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, this will mean back to trainer road. Was a toss up anyway and now that it'll be cheaper, it's a no brainer. Zwift has lost its cool factor on me pretty quickly.

To be honest, I've just been too lazy to switch already. I find the training programs in TR make it much more valuable than cool graphic in zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My view is the following:
1) While yes, it is a 50% increase, it's off of a small base ($10 to $15). Heck, I spend $5 at Starbucks without even thinking about it. If you are on Zwift, you potentially have 1) a bike that cost > $500, 2) a trainer that costs > $100, 3) powermeter that cost > $300, etc. You get my point. $5 is not a big deal. I like to keep things in perspective.

2) As with any price increase (small or large), I'm interested in seeing what additional value I get. Personally, if they invested in proper season plans (aka TrainerRoad), that would be additional value. If they significantly increased the roads (so for a century, no road is traveled more than once), that would be additional value. New worlds, additional value. You get the picture.

3) I'd rather have a price increase than an in-game monitization model. Just go over to Reddit and check out the butt hurt regarding EA's Star Wars Battlefront II loot boxes. I like that fact that there is a lack of no in-game ads (aka billboards).

4) Having written the above, I wonder how my views might change at $20 per month. That might cause me to think differently. Especially when I can use my Computrainer software for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 50% increase sounds pretty steep to me, even though it is only $15 now. I could be wrong, but I think TrainerRoad used to be $10 and is now $12 (so just a 20% increase) with the option to pay for a year at $99. They might have even let people stay on $10 a month if you kept paying and never suspended your account. Anyone know if that is true or not? I wonder if Zwift will have an option to pay for a whole year at once with a discount.
I have used both and currently use Zwift, but TrainerRoad does have WAY better plans in my opinion, so to justify a 50% increase Zwift will have to up their game on plans. I am sure there are a lot of people who use Zwift for the events, like group rides, but there never seems to be one at the time I ride that fits in with what I want to accomplish with my workout. I guess I will revisit in a year if I think they have made enough of an improvement to justify $15 a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) I agree completely, it's more "the principle." I used Zwift when it was in beta (along with many, many other people obviously) so I feel like I've seen the whole development string so far. What does that mean? I dunno, can't say.

2) I really think they need to expand their workout modes. Maybe the increase in price is to pay Jordan his annual salary so he can come up with more games/workouts

3) Yea that's an interesting debate. I don't see how Zwift stays out of the Ad game forever. I saw something somewhere that they have ~300,000 monthly users which just seems ridiculous. The amount of data they are collecting has got to be exceptionally valuable to advertisers all around the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At $100/year they would absolutely have my money.
At $180/year, probably not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DCRainmaker on Twitter wrote:
Today’s $5 Zwift price increase (to $15/month), means that the company gets an additional $500K per month in revenue. While nobody likes a price increase, cool to see them delay increase for early users.

https://twitter.com/...s/931215066749456386

I assume if membership stays the same those figures are true. $6M a year is a nice increase as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$14.99/month is very reasonable for the product. I use Zwift nearly exclusively and welcome the hike as long as they keep expanding, creating new features and add to the Workout library. Even if they don't, it still wouldn't deter me from leaving Watopia.

Time is money - $180/year is easily justifiable if you're unable to ride out of your home (on safe roads), have a family, or just want to be more efficient with your time.

I just signed my Wife (exercise enthusiast) two days ago, so the timing worked out well on my end. That said, I wish they would announce a Family Plan.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm out. I have used both trainerroad and zwift. Both are great, but I like TR just a little better. Now that they want to increase by 50% I just can't justify it. Too bad, it's a fun product but 50% is crazy. With the exchange rate, I'm now looking at close to 20 a month with all the credit card/conversion fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I've been using the computrainer/netflix/walking dead combo just fine for a few years. Some friends were talking about group trainer rides, so was looking into it. I was actually willing to spend $10/month.

Not now. Yes, $15 is *not that much*, but added to all the other little expenses (netflix, spotify, etc...) I don't see any benefit to the expense. So they've lost at least one sign up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and unlike other online options that are similar they dont offer yearly subscription discounts. I think this will hurt them, lots of people I know are not keen on 10 a month... This will push some away since more options are starting to pop up and old options like trainer road will look better at a much lower cost. It gonna be those non racers IRL that wont mind since there is a huge group on zwift only riders. After my "year" I will cease mine. 15 isnt worth it IMO. I will go back to TR or look at other stuff by then, I mainly do workout mode and ride solo in winter on hilly courses for longish rides so no social need
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried Zwift three times now and never gotten past the 7 day free trial. I keep thinking that someday I'll like it or get into it. Nope. Definitely wouldn't pay $15 for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't understand the appeal of the product when I tried it out for free, now I really don't get it.

Lots of people seem to love it though, so I imagine this is a good move for them so they can further development their product. I can't imagine they'll lose more than 10% of their membership with this decision, so it will almost certainly bring in more revenue and contribute toward improving the user experience going forward.

They don't really have a direct competitor so they shouldn't have a problem pulling this off (I'm not sure TR would be considered a direct competitor).

Last edited by: Bonesbrigade: Nov 16, 17 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
My view is the following:
1) While yes, it is a 50% increase, it's off of a small base ($10 to $15). Heck, I spend $5 at Starbucks without even thinking about it. If you are on Zwift, you potentially have 1) a bike that cost > $500, 2) a trainer that costs > $100, 3) powermeter that cost > $300, etc. You get my point. $5 is not a big deal. I like to keep things in perspective.

2) As with any price increase (small or large), I'm interested in seeing what additional value I get. Personally, if they invested in proper season plans (aka TrainerRoad), that would be additional value. If they significantly increased the roads (so for a century, no road is traveled more than once), that would be additional value. New worlds, additional value. You get the picture.

3) I'd rather have a price increase than an in-game monitization model. Just go over to Reddit and check out the butt hurt regarding EA's Star Wars Battlefront II loot boxes. I like that fact that there is a lack of no in-game ads (aka billboards).

4) Having written the above, I wonder how my views might change at $20 per month. That might cause me to think differently. Especially when I can use my Computrainer software for free.

All the above.

The recent expansion has been great, I'd happy pay an extra $5 for quarterly course additions.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:

They don't really have a direct competitor so they shouldn't have a problem pulling this off (I'm not sure TR would be considered a direct competitor).

There is one in the works: https://www.roadgrandtours.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its not lost on me that since starting on zwift, the territory and function has grown tremendously.

- so many more different routes
- better graphics and sound
- more workout and some basic plans
- running function

All of these I use and can appreciate. I can see these functions and future enhancement adding value and justifying the costs. In particular training plans like TrainerRoad, structured and varied depending on ability and goals would be super valuable to me.

Moreover, the convenience and safety side of the equation is supremely important to me. Wife and two kids and fulll time job and elderly parents. Suiting up for a road ride takes 30 mins and another 20mins of intersections to get to my favorite roads. Bad weather, crazy drivers, and potholes stress me out. Not a fan of freezing my butt off for the first 45 mins either, during am rides. Since zwift and to a more limited extent TrainerRoad before that, I’d train and race out doors still. Now, I am 99% training and racing indoors. Safe, hard, and super convenient. I still road bike race, duathlon, and tri outside for races but training rides are now virtually all indoors. But in the evening when kids are in bed, I can sneak on down to garage and hammer out a 60 min session training or racing.

If that was it, then it’s already compelling, but I also enjoy being part of the community. Am On a training and race team for zwift where I hammer it out with my international mates from all over the world. We push each other and occasionally even trash talk. We schedule to meet up at races, show up and crush it out, executing team tactics. Loads if fun. And bye, the tss of 90-95 matches or blows away the TrainerRoad efforts: competition and camaraderie are pretty big motivators.

If it was just graphics and a couple of “ghost” riders, then yeah, pretty boring. But there are literally thousands of riders and races/rides to join in 24/7. That’s valuable and what makes zwift awesome.

My experience, yours may differ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I don't see how Zwift stays out of the Ad game forever.

They're out of the ad game? I'd assumed that it's full of ads. Did they put the "Virginia is for Lovers" billboards on the Worlds course without a little sumpin' from the Virginia Chamber of Commerce?

And there are tons of branded kits, bikes, and parts. I sure hope they're getting paid for those. I call those "ads," if they are getting compensated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:

There is one in the works:https://www.roadgrandtours.com/[/quote[/url]]

Only a matter of time! I'm certainly not surprised. It's going to take some good ideas and a lot of work to grab a large chunk of Zwift's market I would think. Zwift has a pretty massive head start.

Has any competitor made inroads to Strava yet? Getting there first is huge in these small markets. Time will tell I guess - there is certainly room for more Zwift-type experiences.

Prev Next